IGNORED

Jurassic World: Dominion (Jurassic World 3)

JohnC

On 10/02/2022 at 18:22, Strafe said:

It looks bland and boring but I’ll watch it. I assume that because about 30 dinosaurs escaped the mad scientists/biotech megacorp released a load more of them in some insane, plot sequel justifying, attempt to balance things out. 

I liked Jurassic World but the whole ‘Velociraptors are our mates’ now thing is shit.

Right, he’s definitely mates with the velociraptors now. They spent 3 films convincing us that Velociraptors were the most lethal dinosaurs and now Chad Pratt has made them his pets.

They should all be destroyed.

14 minutes ago, Festoon said:

That bit where Pratt holds his hand out to a velo is seriously overused. 

His 'easy there' hand wobble predates Jurassic. There's a shot in Guardians where does the same thing.  Must be contractual.  

6 hours ago, monkeydog said:

His 'easy there' hand wobble predates Jurassic. There's a shot in Guardians where does the same thing.  Must be contractual.  

It just reads as his alpha male energy shows those dumb creatures who's boss.

4 minutes ago, Festoon said:

It just reads as his alpha male energy shows those dumb creatures who's boss.

I think thats the point though. They train the Raptors like dogs and its about showing them that he's the master/alpha.

It kinda works for Blue because we've seen he trained her to respond to it. Doesn't really work when he's doing it to two Alectrosaurus though.

On 29/04/2022 at 07:28, monkeydog said:

image.png.2a7a1c12d892afc40d2b516d5aeadce9.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Watched this earlier and it wasn’t as bad as some critics are making it out to be.

After he last film which I found the worst of the series, I wasn’t really expecting to much of this one but if it’s lots of Dino action you want then this is the movie for you.the last hour is basically Dino set  piece  after Dino set piece.  

Seeing the original cast back together on screen was great.

Is it one of the better Jurassic park movies… no it’s no Jurassic park or lost world - but it’s a decent enough summer movie just put your brain in gear and enjoy the ride 

Do they at all acknowledge that the dumb kid releasing the dinosaurs in the last film has potentially doomed humanity and murdered a load of innocent people?

God I hated that last movies ending.

37 minutes ago, Gambit said:

Do they at all acknowledge that the dumb kid releasing the dinosaurs in the last film has potentially doomed humanity and murdered a load of innocent people?

God I hated that last movies ending.

well....

Spoiler

its glossed over in a hey it kinda happened kinda way - unfort the only thing i didnt like about the movie is that once again one of the main plot points is all about the importance of cloned kid rather than you know cloned dinosaurs in a cloned dinosaur movie

7 hours ago, papalazarou said:

Watched this earlier and it wasn’t as bad as some critics are making it out to be.

After he last film which I found the worst of the series, I wasn’t really expecting to much of this one but if it’s lots of Dino action you want then this is the movie for you.the last hour is basically Dino set  piece  after Dino set piece.  

Is it one of the better Jurassic park movies… no it’s no Jurassic park or lost world - but it’s a decent enough summer movie just put your brain in gear and enjoy the ride 

Same thoughts here.

How anyone can score this a one star movie is simply doing it to be controversial.  Not brilliant but certainly an improvement on Fallen Kingdom & probably on a par with Jurassic World.

I would rate it 3 stars out of 5 maybe 3.5 if I am feeling generous, as there are a couple of decent dino action set pieces, the nostalgia factor of the old gang back together and not just for cameo roles, plus one new character who could probably carry a future movie on her own.

Colin Trevorrow has become an even more boring version of JJ Abrams. The pair of them might just be the human face to some AI movie writing algorithm Hollywood has produced on the dl. Chris Pratt, too, for that matter. 

9 hours ago, papalazarou said:

Better than Jurassic Park 3?

Despite going to the cinema rarely, i sometimes remember i've seen both of these Jurassic World's at the cinema...i think...and now i'll probably end up watching this one too somehow.

I searched 'worst trilogies ever' and there were some bad ones there so maybe this trilogy isn't the worst, but given the money and potential it's been dire. Always was puzzled by Trevorrow's appointment and will always want to see his meeting and pitch and honestly why him. Although J. A. Bayona is seriously talented and his quality couldn't muster much good from Fallen Kingdom, but with the catastrophic story co written by Trevorrow maybe it wasn't possible by anyone.

I don't even know how the director of Safety Not Guaranteed gets a meeting for a Jurassic Park revival. Almost makes me want to make a crap indie film that people for some reason think is good despite not showing evidence i can direct to save to my life just to get a meeting with an executive and then get given a huge franchise and a big budget and then go along with it until day one of production and quit and think 'huh, that's interesting, you were really going to let me make this film', then go back to what i'm doing now.

35 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

Better than Jurassic Park 3?

See I like Jurassic park 3 for the first 2/3 - It’s just feels like a complete rush to end the movie and it feels like  there are huge bits of the end missing. The whole aviary section is one of the standout moments in all the Jurassic movies. 

I would rank this movie up there with 3 prob on par if not slightly better - would be more equal with Jurassic world but leagues better than fallen kingdom.

A couple of reviews I’ve read say that for the first half the dinos take a back seat…. You prob see more dino screen time  in this movie than you have in the others - like I said when it’s get to the half way mark it’s then Dino set piece after Dino set piece with no let up until the end of the movie. (That’s not to say there is not plenty  of Dinos on screen with some decent action in the first half, bits like the chase through the streets that is in the trailers)

don’t get me wrong if you want to see a must see summer block buster in the cinema  then go see top gun maverick (belive the hype).  But if you want a no brainer fun movie then this also a good one to go see. 

Almost no creative decision in this makes sense and it’s wonkily shot, written and edited. It’s misguided enough to feel off but not brave enough to be engagingly absurd, as Fallen Kingdom often was. There’s an opening and closing “news” voiceover which made my teeth wiggle. Yet it’s an enjoyable enough farce to tide us over until The Jurassic and the Cretaceous (Fast 11) surely comes out.  That’s what this has been building to, right?

Spoiler

They chickened out of having that Bad-o-raptor jump on the dirt bike in mid air and somehow catch up with the plane. A microcosm of the film’s problems.

19 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

What's this like in terms of letting kids see it?

Spoiler

A few peeps getting eaten (see the trailer for an example of the guy and the two carnataurs - I think that’s what they are)  couple of Jump scares Dinos coming out of the dark etc… 

I thought there was a Hollywood rule where you could only use a coincidence once to move the plot along? This has two. And far too many Deus ex machinas.

The writers and producers clearly didn't employ any scientific advisors. Or pass high school science.

Saw this earlier in a mostly empty screening. Thought this was excellent, better than the last one (which was much better than I had been led to believe).

The cast are uniformly excellent which is extremely rare in a modern blockbuster. 

My ranking after recently watching all 6 films

1 - Jurassic Park

2 - Jurrasic World

3 - Jurrasic World Dominion

4 - Jurrasic Park 3

6 - Jurrasic Park Fallen Kingdom 

7 - The lost World