rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Bangaio

Digital foundry has spoilt the art of playing games (for me)

DF's coverage of modern games only really serves a purpose for me if there's a Switch port to examine. That's an instance where quality really can vary to the point that it impacts on the experience, so the videos have helped me to decide whether or not I want to trade performance for portable play. If there's no Switch version, the relative performance of the version I'll play on my base PS4 doesn't really matter to me, as it's the only other console I own and I have no intention of buying another so late in the generation.

The retro stuff is very good though, and I tend not to miss those videos.

6 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

My first console was the PlayStation 1 and I didn’t really, really get into gaming until the PS2 era, so a lot of that stuff doesn’t really interest me. I have seen a lot of people speak quite highly of it, though. 

Aye mate, it’s all stuff from that era. His MGS and Shenmue stuff is amongst the highest quality games content on YouTube. Embrace it because it’s fucking rare to find.

• Upvote 2

Get this slapped into you:

Fuckin... Digital Foundry has improved the art of playing appreciating the magic, wizardry and craft of games for me everycunt.

• Upvote 4

Yeah DF retro is fantastic. Mortal Kombat, Doom and both Shenmue games a real highlight. I loved the Pitfall : The Mayan Adventure video too, I've always praised the Mega CD version of that game and it was good to see someone look into that in such detail! 

Even John Linnemen appears to be getting bored of the “face off” videos. His DF Retro stuff is utterly amazing as many have said and some of the best videogame retrospective videos on YouTube. 

His tech analysis videos that deep dive on the tech behind one game are great too, like the Onrush, Surge 2 or Gears 5 ones... they’re like proper bts documentaries.

He does seem to get a lot of shit from trolls though, even for these great videos. 

• Upvote 4

I really loved their commentary of the Cyberpunk gameplay video - they were all getting jazzed about the amazing graphics and tech on display. Got me pretty hyped.

13 hours ago, Popo said:

Has happened to me. I remember a game-breaking bug in Tomb Raider Underworld (Underground? Underwear?) that was specific to the graphics card in my laptop at the time, one that was well known because it affected loads of other people. The developers response was that they wouldn’t patch it because the number of people running that card wasn’t significant enough to justify the effort. 

£40 wasted, it left a pretty sour taste. I know that’ll never happen on Xbox or PlayStation because a bug for one is a bug for all. 

I tell the story occaisonally but in the bad old days of PC gaming there was a bug in Disney's The Lion King that caused crashes only with one specific Cirrus Logic graphics chipset found only in Compaq Presarios.  That was fun.

Mainly because at the time they were giving away The Lion King free with Compaq Presarios.

• Upvote 3

Just catching up and some interesting points. I think I watched them as I live my tech - I’m a computer science teacher for heavens sake - and on most things I’m not that ocd or easily susceptible. I was on pc for a long time and was super happy but along come kids and house moves and I ditched the big box and went back to console a year ago. Perhaps that is part of the problem. I love the technical analysis because it is genuinely interesting but then when I watch it I think what if? The reality is While the language used in the videos is often about games being disappointing etc. The differences aren’t that great and I’m content with being on a base PS4. 

DF retro is a different matter having been avidly playing from spectrum through to PS2 days. 

• Upvote 2

I love listening to them talk about next gen predictions and what is likely possible on those systems, they’re usually really accurate with that stuff. 

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

such a smarmy condescending post to make

I’m back.

Yes, quite. See your original post in this thread. Not nice, is it.

13 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

Get this slapped into you:

Fuckin... Digital Foundry has improved the art of playing appreciating the magic, wizardry and craft of games for me everycunt.

I am subbed to DF but missed this and the MGS ones. Will definitely give both of them a watch.

I’m still waiting for my god damn MP1 Switch Port, Nintendo. :quote: When I played it on GC it was too hard for me and I couldn’t finish it.

14 minutes ago, Triple A said:

I’m back.

Yes, quite. See your original post in this thread. Not nice, is it.

Get over yourself. Why on Earth did you take his original post as a slight on you personally rather than a general comment?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I love listening to them talk about next gen predictions and what is likely possible on those systems, they’re usually really accurate with that stuff. 

if matrix were here he’d laugh too...

• Upvote 1

The thing I don't like about Digital Foundy is it's basically a more subtle, psuedo-intellectual way of justifying the rampant, awful consumerism of videogaming.  It's console wars for grown ups.  Ick. 

(except for the awesome retrospective / documentary stuff, obvs!)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

DF undoubtedly have the bona fides, like that time they noticed that Mario Kart 7 ran at 59fps and repeated a frame twice - something that turned out to be correct but no one else in the world noticed. Both amazingly knowledgeable and yet totally frivolous, it was peak DF for me.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

DF undoubtedly have the bona fides, like that time they noticed that Mario Kart 7 ran at 59fps and repeated a frame twice - something that turned out to be correct but no one else in the world noticed. Both amazingly knowledgeable and yet totally frivolous, it was peak DF for me.

...and it got fixed for the Switch version! 

There's been a few instances like that. There's a frame pacing issue that the dev's never noticed, until pointed out by DF, then it got patched. 

29 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

...and it got fixed for the Switch version! 

There's been a few instances like that. There's a frame pacing issue that the dev's never noticed, until pointed out by DF, then it got patched. 

Except for those blimmin' Fromsoft games :hmm:

I'm oblivious to all of it. I'm still reeling from the fact that something like Virtua Racing is even possible. Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast still looks incredible to me. And I'm currently trying to complete Turmoil on the Spectrum.

So hours spent creating a video to show that a COD game has a texture that's slightly lower in resolution on platform x compared to platform y just feels like time wasted to me. But there's clearly an audience for it. I'd rather be playing a game than worrying about the fidelity of it.

All that said, I've been down a similar rabbit hole when trying to perfect my emulation options. Thankfully I've stopped using emulators and try not to obsess over optimising my retro machines. Sure, it's nice to run all over RGB at 60hz but fuck it; if I fancy a game of Yar's Revenge I'll just play it* on my PAL Atari 2600 over RF.

* actually I'm more likely to play the PAL-fixed 60hz version :D

• Upvote 2

I’ve stuck with the base PS4.

The PS5 will be much more special to me. 

Im old fashioned, I don’t agree with these mid gen power ups but fair play for giving us the options

Last gen, DF really helped me appreciate my choice of Xbox 360, because nearly every comparison showed that the 360 games performed better than the PS3 versions. I could feel smug that I'd made the right choice. Sadly this meant that I saw no reason to ever get a PS3, so I didn't even know I was missing stuff like Yakuza. Also it feels like that very long generation ended with 360 games running like garbage as the 360 had reached its limits several years earlier; whereas PS3 finally hit its stride and devs found new depths to its capabilities.

Anyway, to drift from the topic slightly...

I'm mainly a console gamer and I don't like playing PC games. The reason why is because I always had weird technical difficulties, crashes to desktop, always needing to update drivers, find patches, etc. But my real problems with PC gaming happened when I discovered FRAPS.

Damn Fraps. Fraps ruined everything. In the mid-2000s I made an effort to play games on an upper-midrange PC. But once I had that yellow fps counter in the corner of the screen, I spent so long tweaking each game to get 60fps that it ruined all my enjoyment. The first hour of a new game is supposed to draw you in... but I spent the first hour constantly hitting Esc, going to the graphics settings, and changing every setting one by one to see if I could get better performance. "Hmm, if I change the AA to 4x, I get another 5fps... ah, that's it! 60fps achieved!" But then I'd walk into a new room that had smoke effects, and the frame rate would go down into the 40s... so back to the settings menu, see if reducing the volumetric gubbins to "low" changes anything... and so on. I learned a lot about PC graphics, but it was ruining my enjoyment. 

Console games may have had worse graphics than PC, but at least you just play them. The devs have done all the hard work of setting the graphics to achieve a custom "low-medium" so that you don't have to think about it.

• Upvote 4

I hear you, I had a mild flashback to that stress when offered the 30/60fps options in Hitman and Forza Horizon 4 when I got my XB1X. I've realised now that 60fps makes a much more pronounced difference so I would likely always choose that, but if the options proliferate I can certainly see it playing it my mind again.

• Empathy 1

I think for PC gaming you either have to be someone who enjoys the tinkering (*raises hand*), or someone who is content to pick a pre set detail level or get their settings sorted in the first 15 minutes and just be happy with how the game looks and runs.

Anything in between I'm guessing is not much fun.

• Upvote 1

Maybe someone else already asked, but reading the first post, if you’re that bothered about getting the best performance why not just play on PC? It’s literally always the best version except for one shite Batman game that people always mention.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

As someone who did almost all of their gaming on PC in the last few years of the last gen, the advantages at the moment are not that great. At the time it was a case of 720p or less and sub 30fps performance on Xbox 360 or 1080p60 with middle of the road hardware on PC.

With an Xbox One X, I often don't get 60fps performance but the performance is good enough for me and the games look wonderful on a 4K TV. I also get better HDR support than I would on PC, where HDR is still a mess. The difference between something like Control or Gears 5 on PC and Xbox One X is apparently big according to digital foundry but I really don't see it.

23 hours ago, Dudley said:

Nah, like I say I buy one x all things being equal or PS4 Pro if there's a cheapy and I tend to buy PC only for exclusives and steam sales.

If a game really does fuck up on one console we'll hear about it anyway but I actually can't think of a single instance this gen of a game that was unbalanced across both (rather than shit on both)

I really don’t get the fuss over RTX. I’ve watched uncompressed 4K comparison footage and it’s a big fat nothing to me. Looks a bit better than baked in lighting.