Console Wars - a warning from history

5 hours ago, probotector said:

I was a bit meh about this generation but I’ve just seen Spider-Man and it’s the 1st Game I’ve seen that screams next gen.

Somewhat ironic given it's also coming out on PS4.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/09/2020 at 06:59, ZOK said:

I just call all XBoxes ‘excellent-box’, saves time.

Although I haven’t owned one since the 360 so I may be out of touch on that.

No not at all, the word "excellent-box" still has 4 syllables and is still used by absolutely nobody :P

So to hardware. 

Personally think MS's design is far more elegant than Sony's this time around. The Series X is a very nice compact design and I like how it all bolts to a solid cast core which will further dissipate heat. Whilst Sony seem to have gone a bit cheap IMHO. Lots of creaky plastic on the case. That fan and heatsink are huge!

Be interesting to see how reliable both units are over time though...

Weirdly, the dust collecting holes in the PS5 are the bit that impressed me. Having lifted the lid on my PS4 Pro to clean the fan and quickly realising you're at risk of blowing it all into the unit, the idea that it's designed to blow the debris to specific places seems nice.

1 minute ago, Don Rosco said:

What the fuck. Is that man really tiny?

That and the PS5 is f**king huge. Never seen such a huge console. I do wonder if this was a Japanese or American design. Japanese designed consoles tend to be much more elegant in nature. 

I really liked the PS4 design. Really well thought out with the wedged back so you couldn't push it against a wall etc and block the vents. Still not sure about the PS5 design. It just seems bulbous and unnecessarily big and incompatible with most living rooms. I wouldn't want something like that in my room and the fact that its white too draws attention to it. I'm all for discreet little boxes that do the job with minimal fuss. That thing shouts "I play video games look at me".

I really like the Series S design because of its size. If they could get an Xbox or a PS5 into a Mac Mini style form factor that would be perfect for a living room IMHO. 

On the more jokey side of the console "war", I'm now seeing the PS5 as a Federation Starship, brilliantly engineered, and happy to work with third parties while taking full advantage of its native strengths. Meanwhile, the Xbox Series X is a Borg Cube, also brilliantly engineered, but wanting everything to run on its own service - resistance is useless. ;)

12 minutes ago, Thor said:

On the more jokey side of the console "war", I'm now seeing the PS5 as a Federation Starship, brilliantly engineered, and happy to work with third parties while taking full advantage of it's native strengths. Meanwhile, the Xbox Series X is a Borg Cube, also brilliantly engineered, but wanting everything to run on its own service - resistance is useless. ;)

uHgr05m.png

1 hour ago, Thor said:

On the more jokey side of the console "war", I'm now seeing the PS5 as a Federation Starship, brilliantly engineered, and happy to work with third parties while taking full advantage of it's native strengths. Meanwhile, the Xbox Series X is a Borg Cube, also brilliantly engineered, but wanting everything to run on its own service - resistance is useless. ;)

No, its futile! :quote:

1 minute ago, Count Buffalos said:

This shit is so tiring, the little digs, the big digs, the pettiness, the insecurity. It really brings out the worst in people and I'll be glad when both consoles are released and established.

Then you've got the Digital Foundry comparisons to look forward to...