Console Wars - a warning from history

You can bat the hyperbole and ridiculous comments around the consolre warz playground to your heart's content. But if you say a naughty word your mum sends you home til tomorrow.

10 minutes ago, Clipper said:

You can bat the hyperbole and ridiculous comments around the consolre warz playground to your heart's content. But if you say a naughty word your mum sends you home til tomorrow.

Yeah Revival was being baited and misrepresented. Directly after saying he hoped some of the silliness in the other thread would just stay there. Pretty poor.

4 hours ago, footle said:

Yeah Revival was being baited and misrepresented. Directly after saying he hoped some of the silliness in the other thread would just stay there. Pretty poor.

Actually he was banned for this post:

That was before all the other comments that may or may not have been baiting him. He rightly lamented the silliness, but as soon as someone said something bad about his list of games he started calling people cunts. 

45 minutes ago, Thor said:

Actually he was banned for this post:

That was before all the other comments that may or may not have been baiting him. He rightly lamented the silliness, but as soon as someone said something bad about his list of games he started calling people cunts. 

Page 231 was the one where he was baited. Page 232 he didn’t rise to.

Pointing out his list of games contains shit games is not bait. People were expressing their personal opinion on the list. 

I also think it's a shit list of games. I read that list and fucking laughed. Sure, it's good value for those who want to play those games, but to call people cunts with no taste when they say they don't find those game exciting ... banned, and serves him right.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

Pointing out his list of games contains shit games is not bait. People were expressing their personal opinion on the list. 

I also think it's a shit list of games. I read that list and fucking laughed. Sure, it's good value for those who want to play those games, but to call people cunts with no taste when they say they don't find those game exciting ... banned, and serves him right.

Yeah, but you like GOT ;-) and, more importantly, didn’t go into the Xbox thread to deliberately call them shit.

Gears 5 is bloody terrible and wishes it was a 1/5 as good as some of the games on this months game past list. I mean Wasteland 3 is on there FFS.

A game that had more fun in it's opening hour than however long I suffered through Gears 5 combined.

Have Microsoft successfully handed off any of their franchises? Both 343 and The Coalition have whiffed every shot they've had. The only time I can think of is Playground making an additional Forza game.

1 hour ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Gears 5 is bloody terrible and wishes it was a 1/5 as good as some of the games on this months game past list. I mean Wasteland 3 is on there FFS.

A game that had more fun in it's opening hour than however long I suffered through Gears 5 combined.

Have Microsoft successfully handed off any of their franchises? Both 343 and The Coalition have whiffed every shot they've had. The only time I can think of is Playground making an additional Forza game.

I massively prefer Coalition era Gears to Epic, at least in terms of the campaigns. 

Gears 2 is the most surreally bad AAA game I've ever played.

The finale is the opening cutscene of a boss encounter and then the closing cutscene of a boss encounter, with no actual boss fight in the middle.

Just a mind shreddingly odd experience from start to finish.

Is it just me that feels that both Sony and Microsoft are both quite childish in their approach to this gen? I mean the whole, no price given game of chicken, no details on pre orders, the fact they're about as clear as mud. 

Does this bolster brand affiliation, or dent trust in these companies?

Surely it’s just a case of them not being able to announce release dates, pricing and pre-orders until they have concrete logistical plans at a time when that is extremely difficult to do? They already narrowed it down to a 6 week window.

This “game of chicken” meme is weird to me. How does that even work?

It's difficult to know how much is pandemic and how much is watching each other certainly.

They could absolutely announce a price by now, no important variable is changing there, but Microsoft don't want to be 299ed.

I've got to say - despite the shockingly low amount of actual games that are coming out on all the new machines, I'm more excited about the launches this year than I think I've been for years.

Give it another five years and the stuff that'll be coming out on everything is just going to blow my mind.

Or possibly a testicle.

As long as both don't blow off though - I've yet to freeze any of my sperm.

I probably should book that in before launch then.

11 hours ago, probotector said:

This seems to be the most low key next gen launch ever.

I just sense a lack of energy and hype this time around. It just seems so...clinical. Like a new iPad launch.

Agree.... Can't believe it's only two months away from new console time. Think the main issue is lack of a new killer game to play. Nothing to get really excited about the consoles won't play anything that you can't play anywhere else. In the XBoxes case on existing hardware. 

So yes. A bit like a new iPad release. :) Sign of the times I guess. At least we can rely on Nintendo doing something interesting when they release new hardware. Although even there I think it will be HD Switch etc for the foreseeable.

Think it's just that we have reached a natural peak. Everything has reached a plateau and it's just iterative refinements these days on hardware. You will never get the big exciting jumps we have had before. The leap to 3D. The introduction of online systems. The adding of internet and media functionality. 

These days the consoles are where gaming is at there are no "arcade ports" anymore to marvel at. Even the PC has been reigned in a bit by console gaming and it's technology. 

Which is why ultimately new hardware is a little lacklustre. Essentially everything these days is just a PC in different clothes. Miss terms like "Emotion Engine", "Reality Synthesiser" etc sometimes. I know it was all hype but it was fun. And it was exciting. Now it's just a GPU and a x86 derivative. Not sure if the younger generation actually care about the hardware itself at all these days other than what it looks like and maybe if it does 4K or not. Perhaps maybe even what frame rates games run at. Very PC. 

What are you on about mate?

This gen we’ve had (off the top of my head): proper good Virtual Reality, someone doing the Netflix of games and even streaming from our home consoles to our phones.

Next gen is going to have some whopping surprises too I’m sure. Chin up!

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

What are you on about mate?

This gen we’ve had (off the top of my head): proper good Virtual Reality, someone doing the Netflix of games and even streaming from our home consoles to our phones.

Next gen is going to have some whopping surprises too I’m sure. Chin up!

Oh agree just saying that new hardware releases these days are like a PC upgrade :)

VR has been a huge game changer for me and Sony enabled me to try an exceptional experience for little money. Really impressed with it. So impressed that I upgraded my PC and bought an Oculus!

It's been a great generation. 

The only thing about Next-Gen that made me sit up & take notice was the use of the SSD in Ratchet & Clank to allow instantaneous movement around the environment.  I'd like to see what other gameplay innovations that could allow, but the more practical benefit of the reduction or even total elimination of load times & slowdown is something i can certainly get behind.

Indeed although S and X are starting to at least have some sort of convention now. S being (S)tandard and X being Delu(X)e perhaps... who knows....

I'm guessing in the end with MS it will just be Xbox. No matter what you play on its about the service not the device. 

It was the 360 that got me... like was it representing a 360 turn on the original Xbox? Where did that come from? :) 

At least Nintendo are just reliably leftfield... eg: Wii. I do think they should have called the WiiU something different as everyone thought it was a Wii++ - actually in some ways it technically was as it was a supercharged Wii. Funny enough the controllers on the Wii had a SKU id thingy of POO :D