rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
peeveen

The demise of the pop band

4 hours ago, gone fishin' said:

Just as a personal example, a friend of mine said he fancied playing some modern songs, but in more of an accoustic/folk style and wondered if I would play guitar. I looked up the chords of some of the songs and they were literally three chords. But not in the way that maybe blues worked around three chords, it was something basic like C-F-G over and over with a different melody for the chorus

Well punk was basically 'three chords and the truth' and we got some great tunes out of it.

I suppose I'm just very much against the whole 'real instruments = real music' thing. I'm not too bothered how the sausages are made, just how tasty they are!

3 hours ago, Stanley said:

This is true, but I remember when Kraftwerk were in the charts, and were pop to me, now that kind of music is considered avant garde or “EDM” that’s the difference.

Well the definition of pop changes over time. In the time of the Beatles rhythm and blues was pop; rock became 'pop'. In the 90s UK garage was pop. Again, in the Manual there's a fascinating chapter that I can't recall at all now where they talk about genre songs reaching number one and then effectively 'leaving' their genre and becoming something new. I should re-read it because it was very interesting!

• Upvote 1

It’s not though is it, there are demonstrably fewer popular acts than there used to be and notably less creativity in that sphere, not that I’m arsed as I think music is better than it’s ever been once you dive a little deeper, but I think pop has lost its power of the new. 

@Mike S you old bastard :blah:

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Stanley said:

It’s not though is it, there are demonstrably fewer popular acts than there used to be and notably less creativity in that sphere, not that I’m arsed as I think music is better than it’s ever been once you dive a little deeper, but I think pop has lost its power of the new. 

@Mike S you old bastard :blah:

On 19/02/2020 at 17:39, Nequests said:

Apart from everyone that isn't doing that. Contribute or fuck off.

Calm down, yeah? 

• Upvote 4

Nah. His dismissive attempt to shut down the discussion can fuck off. As can you if you defend it.

On 18/02/2020 at 15:19, gone fishin' said:

Modern Popular music has just become like modern video games, it's an amalgamation of every genre funnelled into a generic product to try and please everyone. Plus behind every pop star, there's a whole team of songwriters and producers. Take Lewis Capaldi for example, he's just singer songwriter, from the backwaters of Scotland, isn't he? What a great success story for one guy to come so far! Wrong... his songs are written and produced by a team called TMS https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TMS_(production_team) who have produced dozens of other similar artists and sold something like 15 million records.

You've ended up with half a dozen writing/producing teams making the majority of the pop music where it doesn't actually matter who's singing the song. And anyway it's better to have one person singing it, because it's lower cost and easier to manage. Pretty much the same as Stock Aitken and Waterman did in the 1980s.

Just for reference this isn't actually true - TMS co-wrote and produced two of the songs on Capaldi's album (that's 2 out of 12 tracks).  Yes however, they did co-write Somebody you loved, but far from the whole record.  Capaldi is also credited on all 12 tracks.

Interestingly David 'Fame Academy' Sneddon has a co-write on one track on the album too.  He also wrote Lana del Rey's 'National Anthem' - who knew?

Not sure if I've countered or backed up your point now but yeah, not quite true etc

It’s a always been this way to an extent anyway. Motown is a great example. 

4 hours ago, AfromB said:

It’s a always been this way to an extent anyway. Motown is a great example. 

Except Lamont Dozier and the Holland brothers wrote amazing songs and the Funk Brothers could really fuckin’ play. 

[/oldmanshoutingatclouds]

• Upvote 1

Obviously, the quality varies but it isn’t a new phenomenon.