rllmuk
APM

Your guilty eighties film pleasures

Hot Pursuit needs to be in the discussion for best 80s John Cusack! It’s got a very young Ben Stiller (Zoolander) playing a bad guy and acting along side his dad Jerry, Robert Loggia (Scarface) is wonderfully unhinged as a pirate, the energetic pacing and narrative drive is excellent throughout. A real personal fav. Love Cusack losing his shit during the plane terrorism scene, realising his been kidnapped at sea, going Rambo with his girlfriend’s father and Wendy Gazelle’s (The Net) gymnastics. It’s proper 80s so some of it hasn’t aged well - the Jamaican stereotypes for example. Still, it’s a banger with lots of stuff paying off at the end. 

Say Anything is probably the best 80s Cusack film, but Hot Pursuit is best 80s Cusack.

Yes, Hot Pursuit is an odd one, I only saw it the other year and enjoyed it a lot. 

One Crazy Summer is good fun too, though I think it's much lesser than Better Of Dead and The Sure Thing. 

I miss 80s Cusack.

I think the first Beverly Hills Cop is one of the best movies ever made, a classic, and I wouldn't class it as a guilty pleasure on any day of the week.

However, it's sequel certainly qualifies for me, as does The Golden Child. 

• Upvote 1

I'm just watching Aliens. Now, don't for one moment think I'm including Aliens in this topic, but watching it in hi def brings home just how much the low resolution and fuzzy image helped films of that time. As much as I love Aliens, it feels very different watching it now - almost too clear, too bright. I wonder how much of our love for these films was and still is aided by the viewing limitations we had back then. 

• Upvote 1

On 13/02/2020 at 22:29, Monkeyboy said:

The thread got me thinking about a weird eighties hillbilly movie that I recorded off late night telly back in the day. I watched it a fair number of times, but my memory is a little hazy. I think it’s this one...

Just Before Dawn is really good, well worth revisiting.

19 minutes ago, Sabreman said:

Just Before Dawn is really good, well worth revisiting.

£45 for the blu-ray on Amazon!!! From the reviews, it seems like it's a really good release. But 45 quid. Jesus.

I remember spending a lot of time watching The Rachel Papers. I don't think the film was very good, but certain parts are certainly etched in my mind. 

I thought Inner Space might be early 90s but nope, I'm just getting old. 1987! I think it was either our first or second VHS rental after many years of my dad insisting our Grundig VCR was better quality. We had video cases that looked like leather-bound books, from a distance, and you could only use it to record from the telly, nothing pre-recorded was available.

Anyway, I read the novelisation of this before seeing it and got pretty hype, no idea how I came to read the book in the first place. Was it any good? My critical skills would've needed mighty disappointment to not like it at the time, but it doesn't seem particularly remembered now. Dennis Quaid! Meg Ryan!

• Upvote 1

On the horror side, how about Silent Night Deadly Night? A film with a homicidal, axe wielding... Santa. 

or its sequel, which is SO CHEAP the lead character goes into a cinema in the movie and watches a good 45 minutes or so... of the first film. 

or if we’re talking total trash with 80s movie naming schemes, how about Sorority Babes In The Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama?

or of course, just about any 80s output from Troma. Movies of the future, you know. 

• Upvote 1

If you guys have not heard of it then check out the Movies with Ron podcast

Best podcast I have ever listened to. He does the film with impressions while his brother and sister chime in. 

He is mostly focused on some obscure 80s horror and camp stuff but has a ton of recent stuff as well.

I have rediscovered some 80s gems I totally forgot about over the years:

Enemy Mine

Cat People

Silver Bullet.

Also does a ton of classics. His rendition of Labyrinth is one of the funniest things I have ever heard and his impressions are spot on.