Your guilty eighties film pleasures

I watched Footloose for the first time last night and I think it’s the most unintentionally hilarious work of genius I’ve ever seen.

When he’s training his friend to dance courtesy of a montage, life and death were a hairs breadth apart due to laughter induced hyperventilation.

Runaway - I can’t remember anything about it except weird robot spiders and Gene Simmons from Kiss. Which clearly makes it the best film ever, if it wasn’t for...

Crossroads - No, not Britney. No, not the soap. The one where Karate Kid goes on a road trip with a grumpy old dude and has to beat Steve Vai in a guitar based boss battle at the end. Yeah! Seriously I’ve seen this at least 100 times and spent about 20 years trying to play the bit at the end.

2 hours ago, Couch Corpse said:

80's ninja movies.

Enter the Ninja

Gymkata

American Ninja

Remo Williams

Edit: Forgot Blind Fury!

You've got to add Revenge of the Ninja, but damn, you've really got to add Ninja 3: Domination! 

10 hours ago, Couch Corpse said:

80's ninja movies.

Enter the Ninja

Gymkata

American Ninja

Remo Williams

Edit: Forgot Blind Fury!

Clash of the Ninjas. Possibly the greatest of them all.

17 hours ago, Waggo said:

By Dawns Early Light is a film I have not thought about in a very long time, and yet I bet I watched it at least 20 times in my younger days. Great film back in the day.:hat:

It’s still very watchable. 

On 08/02/2020 at 22:56, iknowgungfu said:

Karate Kid.

It is a guilty pleasure but I would argue it is actually a very good film in its own right.  It gets lampooned for its glossed over timeframe for Daniel to become a "master" especially with the crane kick. Outside of that is an excellent film about a boy needing a father figure, a man filled with regret dealing with his own traumatic familial past and the horrific effect of bullying behaviour from a responsible adult.

I fooking love it. 

Edit - in fact it was calling out toxic masculinity way ahead of its time. 

I know someone who genuinely, credibly, points to the Karate Kid as the film that saved his life during a highly traumatic and chaotic childhood.

Red Dawn

Shocker

Maximum Overdrive

Do Weird Science and Breakfast Club count as guilty pleasures?

Class of 1999

Hardware

Road House

Bloodsport

Kickboxer

King of the Kickboxers

Masters of the Universe

The Punisher

UHF

Near Dark

Re-Animator

Repo Man

Can I slip Mad Max 2 in here?

Heathers

Chopping Mall

Wraith

Man I loved 80s films. Me and my brother used to get a couple of films a weekend from the local video shop,(where the owner really didn't care about ratings). We saw some serious dross...

Edit: Night of the Comet

46 minutes ago, APM said:

What the hell is King of the Kickboxers!?

A film where Billy Blanks, of Tae Bo fame, tries to act and falls miserably. It has a plot point where Blanks' character kills people with an improbable series of kicks, like a really poor Mortal Kombat fatality.

So bad it's good territory.

1 hour ago, ScouserInExile said:

Do Weird Science and Breakfast Club count as guilty pleasures?

Heathers

No they don't and nor does Heathers!

I was going to say the Lemon Popsicle movies and stuff like Porky's. Certainly my guilty pleasure as a teenager.

4 hours ago, Couch Corpse said:

We almost need a sepearate about the 80s ninja craze.

Absolutely this, we were obsessed. I have vague memories of watching American Ninja at my friend's place and us spending the rest of the summer doing the 80s equivalent of that Naruto run everywhere, mostly when we'd knock on someone's door and run away. What a bunch of dweebs! :lol:

OK, perhaps not quite a guilty pleasure, but one that benefits from a few beers before you watch it. I'd possibly rate this above the Airplane films because some of the visual gags are just so good (the parallax train station, the cows in the binoculars etc.)) And the cow in wellies just never gets old:

From memory. Some might not be 80s?

The Wild Geese. 

Tremors. 

Wizard of Speed and Time. 

Lord of the Rings, Bakshi version. 

Allegro Non Troppo. 

The Black Cauldron. 

So, mainly animation then :) I'd argue the cat sequence in ANT is one of the most emotive and emotional bits of cinema of all time. 

Also not guilty most of the time on that list. But some aspects have aged appallingly. Not Mannequin appallingly mind ;)

Battle beyond the stars was... Um... A formative film for me as I grew up for reasons which have been mentioned. Directed by the guy who did the Snowman of all things. 

Can't remember when but my family went on holiday to some friends in Wales, the adults all got drunk and my brother and I ended up watching Cronenburg's Shivers at around.... 10? 11? Again, formative in ways, and utterly inappropriate. Don't think I remember it being good or bad but was terrified on the walk up the dark staircase to bed once it had finished. 

12 minutes ago, c-cat114 said:

From memory. Some might not be 80s?

The Wild Geese. 

Tremors. 

Wizard of Speed and Time. 

Lord of the Rings, Bakshi version. 

Allegro Non Troppo. 

The Black Cauldron. 

So, mainly animation then :) I'd argue the cat sequence in ANT is one of the most emotive and emotional bits of cinema of all time. 

Also not guilty most of the time on that list. But some aspects have aged appallingly. Not Mannequin appallingly mind ;)

Battle beyond the stars was... Um... A formative film for me as I grew up for reasons which have been mentioned. Directed by the guy who did the Snowman of all things. 

Can't remember when but my family went on holiday to some friends in Wales, the adults all got drunk and my brother and I ended up watching Cronenburg's Shivers at around.... 10? 11? Again, formative in ways, and utterly inappropriate. Don't think I remember it being good or bad but was terrified on the walk up the dark staircase to bed once it had finished. 

Wild Geese is a few years earlier (I googled it), otherwise I'd have mentioned it. (See also Juggernaut.)

Edit: North Sea Hijack is 1980 though, and that's a wonderfully bad film.

On 8 February 2020 at 23:53, Joystick Chevron said:

Q The Winged Serpent

A wonderful idea for a film - have a small time crook get into trouble with the mob only to find the perfect way to deal with his problems. Namely by luring them to the top of the Chrysler Building, where an ancient Aztec god has shacked up and gleefully devours any motherfucker dumb enough to walk into its lair (along with any luckless folks lounging on nearby New York rooftops). There's also a serial killer who summoned it in the first place by committing ritual sacrifices, and poor cop David Carradine has the uneviable task of sorting this mess out.

It's dumb as shit and completely bananas. Naturally, I love it.

I once pulled a sickie after staying up to watch a late-night double-bill of this and Alligator, on TV.

Totally justified. Awesome scheduling. Wasn't Q filmed without permits, too?