Your guilty eighties film pleasures

For some reason, I just got thinking about Back To School with Rodney Dangerfield. Yeah, I know it's terrible, but God damn I loved that film. 

Same with the incredibly questionable Soul Man with C Thomas Howell. 

We all love Commando and the like, but what's your awful eighties guilty loves? 

• Upvote 1

Back to the future!

I just :wub: it.

Doh! Sorry should have read the thread properly before posting :doh:

Couple of Guilty Pleasures, The Last Starfighter

and The Neverending Story

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, gospvg said:

Back to the future!

I have it on VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray & Digital.

I just :wub: it.

Think you missed the point of the thread. BTTF is pretty much universally loved.

For me I'd have to go with the likes of

Looks Who's Talking 

Masters of the Universe

Demons 1 & 2

Critters

Weird Science

Stripes

Highlander. 

Which despite being absolutely panned at the time, the world has come to accept it as being “the greatest film ever made”.

Its also the only film to feature Sean Connery doing a voiceover in his toilet.

Great reverb, mind you!

The opening voice-over by Sean Connery has an echo effect, because it was recorded in the bathroom of his Spanish villa

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0091203/trivia

• Upvote 6

Karate Kid.

It is a guilty pleasure but I would argue it is actually a very good film in its own right.  It gets lampooned for its glossed over timeframe for Daniel to become a "master" especially with the crane kick. Outside of that is an excellent film about a boy needing a father figure, a man filled with regret dealing with his own traumatic familial past and the horrific effect of bullying behaviour from a responsible adult.

I fooking love it. 

Edit - in fact it was calling out toxic masculinity way ahead of its time. 

• Upvote 3

Karate Kid,  Neverending Story, The Last Starfighter... Are they really questionable? I thought most people loved them. I want the really dodgy stuff. 

I mean Soul Man... Jesus, it's wrong on so many levels... 

• Upvote 5

Gota give another shout out to Masters of the Universe lol

Spies like us

Risky Business

Return of the living dead

Also ...Moonwalker...yeah...i know....still

Elvira...for...reasons...

can we do a 90's trash thread aswell! :)

• Upvote 2
35 minutes ago, APM said:

Karate Kid,  Neverending Story, The Last Starfighter... Are they really questionable? I thought most people loved them. I want the really dodgy stuff. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_'n'_Roll_Nightmare

Hoping to record some new music, the band Triton travels to an isolated farmhouse in Canada, unaware that it is inhabited by murderous demons. Along for the trip are some of the band members' significant others, John's girlfriend Randy, Roger's new wife Mary, and Stig's girlfriend Lou Anne. Although some are disappointed at the lack of a television and other distractions, the band quickly begins to record new songs.

The demons are also busy, as they begin secretly murdering and possessing the group's souls one by one, until only John is left.

Frustrated with the lack of success with claiming John's soul, Beelzebub appears in front of John, who reveals himself to be none other than the archangel known as the Intercessor. He also reveals that none of the other people at the house existed, as they were only shadows meant to trick Beelzebub into appearing. The two begin a fight to the death, which the Intercessor wins. As the movie comes to a close, it shows a suburban home in a seemingly normal neighborhood as foreboding music begins to play, implying that home is also demon ridden.

Rented this at some point in the mid-90s, several times :lol: A friend I watched it with reminded me of it recently. So hilariously bad, it's almost quite good. Maybe. YMMV.

Also:

• Upvote 2
54 minutes ago, iknowgungfu said:

Karate Kid.

It is a guilty pleasure but I would argue it is actually a very good film in its own right.  It gets lampooned for its glossed over timeframe for Daniel to become a "master" especially with the crane kick. Outside of that is an excellent film about a boy needing a father figure, a man filled with regret dealing with his own traumatic familial past and the horrific effect of bullying behaviour from a responsible adult.

I fooking love it. 

Edit - in fact it was calling out toxic masculinity way ahead of its time. 

I love the crane kick. Daniel is out of his depth in the tournament but has a risky last ditch technique his opponent has never seen before. He is not a master but he was obviously winging it the whole tournament and badly hurt in the final so he just rolls the dice and thinks fuck it. 

My picks would be Fright Night and Monster Squad. Both are still loads of fun to watch today.

Q The Winged Serpent

A wonderful idea for a film - have a small time crook get into trouble with the mob only to find the perfect way to deal with his problems. Namely by luring them to the top of the Chrysler Building, where an ancient Aztec god has shacked up and gleefully devours any motherfucker dumb enough to walk into its lair (along with any luckless folks lounging on nearby New York rooftops). There's also a serial killer who summoned it in the first place by committing ritual sacrifices, and poor cop David Carradine has the uneviable task of sorting this mess out.

It's dumb as shit and completely bananas. Naturally, I love it.

• Upvote 7

@gospvg Three Men and a Baby and Short Circuit are almost as bad a pick as BTTF!

My picks:

Night of the Creeps (fun horror-comedy)

Lifeforce (watched this again recently and, sure it's cheesy, but it's still good fun)

Return of the Killer Tomatoes (early Clooney and pretty funny)

Return of the Living Dead parts 1 & 2 (more horror-comedy and the third film, released in 1993, whilst very different tonally (much more serious) was also quite good from memory)

The 80s really had some good, funny horror comedy, didn't it?

• Upvote 1

So far, I am disappointed that so many films quoted are even considered to be 'guilty pleasures' given that the likes of Q, the Return of The Living Dead films, House, Risky Business, Spies Like Us, etc can all  be ranked somewhere between great and awesome.

I will offer the archetypal rom com When Harry Met Sally as a truly guilty pleasure.

• Upvote 1
51 minutes ago, Gabe said:

@gospvg Three Men and a Baby and Short Circuit are almost as bad a pick as BTTF!

BTTF does not count I did not read the opening post correctly.

Also I think some of the films we think were good have aged badly so could fall into guilty pleasures now.

4 minutes ago, gospvg said:

BTTF does not count I did not read the opening post correctly.

Also I think some of the films we think were good have aged badly so could fall into guilty pleasures now.

As your very own username suggests, we should not be guilty of things just because they have aged!

Hah. We sat down and watched Three Men and a Baby a couple of weeks ago as we both were like ‘that film was great!’ and it really is. One of my guilty pleasures for sure. Just takes me right back to being a kid and is one of those films that can be on at any time and easy watching. 

Gremloids!! A parody of star wars featuring a young lord bucket head before he moved into uk politics 

King Kong lives - sucker for any king king movie (grew up on the bridges version which is still my fav)

Battle  beyond the stars - Star Wars meets the magnificent seven - plus a great sound track and boob looking main ship

• Upvote 3

@papalazarou those totally remind me of those films in the 80s that were clearly made to make you think they were in some way related to a bigger film. Or as an alternative recommendation from your local video library manager when all 3 copies of the real deal were rented out.

”oh, sorry, we don’t have any copies of Gremlins available until Monday, how about Gremloids instead?” 

My friend’s gran owned a video library and we’d be allowed to pick some videos for free, as long as they weren’t one of the popular ones. So yeah, we ended up watching a lot of Star Wars rip offs or films with cool looking covers but we had no idea if they were any good or not, like Krull, while dreaming about being able to watch “Flesh Gordon”. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, papalazarou said:

Battle  beyond the stars - Star Wars meets the magnificent seven - plus a great sound track and boob looking main ship

Can't believe this trailer didn't lean into Valkrye St. Exmin!

I mean...

Saint_Exmin.jpg

• Upvote 3

Holy fuck! Edge of Hell! There’s a film I never thought I’d see again.

And Who Dares Wins is excellent. Not sure if the first House is a guilty pleasure, but the second one certainly is.