rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Broker

Guess the next thing that will be “THE FUTURE”

So, VR is still a bit up and down. Having played more recently I’ve come to appreciate it a lot more, but it doesn’t seem like it’s going to take over the whole industry like some people speculated or hoped it would. It’s part of a future, but it’s not THE FUTURE. 

We love talking about things being THE FUTURE. VR obviously has been THE FUTURE recently, but who could forget when motion controls were THE FUTURE, or mobile gaming, or that one e3 where having an app open next to you while you play a console game was THE FUTURE? That future sounds terrible.

Obviously though, other things, like online gaming, HD resolutions and stuff actually were THE FUTURE. Who could have predicted from that weird Microsoft presentation about buying crops in a game for 10p that micro transactions were THE FUTURE? Could you have?

So yeah, give us some big predictions people. Something massive. Obviously I’ll go first:

Connected servers allowing for separate instances to act as one giant server are THE FUTURE. Obviously there’s that battle Royale with 1000 players which will definitely be released soon, but it could also allow a resurgence of MMOs to allow for huge raids and wars.

• Upvote 3

Cheap and effective Sexbots. 

Humanity goes extinct within a century.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Cheap and effective Sexbots. 

The creepiest Labo creation yet.

• Upvote 3

It’s Ray Tracing. Once next gen consoles launch it’ll be the buzzword.

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Microtransaction, per-turn, 'credits'.

Similarly: watching 30 second Doritos commercials to gain in-game currency, in a full-price home console game.

Or reading in-game magazines filled with ads for experience points...

Streaming Services. Every fucking publisher will attempt to shill out their own Stadia or XCloud, using the same rented cloud backbone, because they don't want to accept a modest payout from Google or Microsoft.

They will all be laggy and awful because they'll attempt to use the cheapest shit imaginable to make the most profit. 

• Upvote 7

Having just upgraded my ailing 2012 iMac to boot from an external SSD and seeing boot and app launch speeds jump from minutes to seconds, I don't think we can underestimate the impact SSD based systems will have on the next gen. It's hard to place exactly, the utility such storage will have in games (aside from non-existent load times), but I'm anticipating it will fundamentally alter the way games are built and structured. The potential for fast travel through open world games is an obvious improvement, but I'm sure that's just the beginning.

• Upvote 1

I don’t think it’s streaming services for a ton of reasons. But mainly the reason I don’t play more games isn’t because I can’t access them, it’s because there are so many games, I deliberately pick and choose the new ones I want to play. With so many season passes and deep games to learn coupled with being older, my time is limited - a streaming service would be wasted on me.

1. I think wireless VR without the faff and a more sophisticated user experience will take off next gen. I wonder if Sony have considered bundling a revision with PS5.

(I know people are joking about the VR fucking, but once the tech is accessible & intuitive and the average Joe figures it out...).

2. Or the Wiimote again. Bring the Wiimote back with advanced 1:1 motion controls.

3. Holodecks.

16 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

I don’t think it’s streaming services for a ton of reasons. But mainly the reason I don’t play more games isn’t because I can’t access them, it’s because there are so many games, I deliberately pick and choose the new ones I want to play. With so many season passes and deep games to learn coupled with being older, my time is limited - a streaming service would be wasted on me.

The cynic in me thinks that it's less about what the market wants, though, and more what the publisher wants.

Companies try a lot of things in their power to ensure players keep spending money on them - Online Passes, DLC, Yearly releases, implementation of third party DRM, and/or microtransactions.

The ultimately logical endgame would be to limit access to a videogame unless it's through a service that doesn't provide a tangible product for you to keep unless you give them more money - streaming offers that benefit.

It's a very nightmarish scenario (and one that can cause a lot of publishers to fall over), but I absolutely wouldn't put it past the likes of Ubisoft and Bethesda. I'm very certain EA mentioned such an ideal when rolling out Origin for the PC, thinking about it.

• Upvote 2

they'd absolutely rather have you locked in on 40p a month for the next 2 years than gamble on people being stupid enough to drop £50 on their new game

4 minutes ago, Siri said:

The cynic in me thinks that it's less about what the market wants, though, and more what the publisher wants.

Companies try a lot of things in their power to ensure players keep spending money on them - Online Passes, DLC, Yearly releases, implementation of third party DRM, and/or microtransactions.

The ultimately logical endgame would be to limit access to a videogame unless it's through a service that doesn't provide a tangible product for you to keep unless you give them more money - streaming offers that benefit.

It's a very nightmarish scenario (and one that can cause a lot of publishers to fall over), but I absolutely wouldn't put it past the likes of Ubisoft and Bethesda. I'm very certain EA mentioned such an ideal when rolling out Origin for the PC, thinking about it.

Yeah the anti-consumer implications are massive.

You’re probably right, but after the XB1 DRM reaction, this practice is the only thing Sony could do that would make me reconsider buying a PS5. 
Consumer powers being stripped as they are, if this is what publishers want there may be little we can do.

I think AR still has a place somewhere but even Microsoft's hololens as gone quiet as far as I can tell. 

Mario maker levels made out of your living room table or being able to scan in your own items and apply physics to them.

I'm sure there was talk of a 'better' pokemon go using some more powerful AR tech which would be massive. 

Other things like eye tracking so the game engine only fully renders what you're looking at will make a big impact on vr but I can't see it being built into a normal telly so would presumably a high end PC monitor with in built cam thing for a while. My smart TV has a camera built in for Skype (not that I've ever used it) but it's also something that only works for one viewer so eye tracking wouldn't be much use in the family telly).

Edit: I don't think these will be the future as in the be all and end all but I think they will be involved. AR for mobile gamers certainly I reckon. 

1 hour ago, grindmouse said:

2. Or the Wiimote again. Bring the Wiimote back with advanced 1:1 motion controls.

Aren't VR controllers this? The thing is that they make perfect sense in VR which was always the problem with them in 'flat' games.

2 hours ago, Broker said:

VR ..... It’s part of a future, but it’s not THE FUTURE. 

Obviously though, other things, like online gaming.... actually were THE FUTURE.

I don't see how online gaming, which is only a part of gaming is THE FUTURE, but VR only being part of gaming isn't THE FUTURE.

1 hour ago, grindmouse said:

I think wireless VR without the faff and a more sophisticated user experience will take off next gen. I wonder if Sony have considered bundling a revision with PS5.

(I know people are joking about the VR fucking, but once the tech is accessible & intuitive and the average Joe figures it out...).

I dunno, I think VR might be the kind of sci-fi item that personal flying vehicles are, one that seems cool in theory but isn’t actually viable as a consumer product, so becomes the exclusive preserve of rich enthusiasts.

4 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

I don't see how online gaming, which is only a part of gaming is THE FUTURE, but VR only being part of gaming isn't THE FUTURE.

Online gaming has changed literally all games. From DLC to updates to online modes to digital distribution, there’s not a single aspect of the industry that hasn’t been changed by games being online.

Just now, Broker said:

Online gaming has changed literally all games. From DLC to updates to online modes to digital distribution, there’s not a single aspect of the industry that hasn’t been changed by games being online.

Okay I read online gaming, as just that, gaming online (so online modes), not games being online. But I'll concede to your clarification.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Broker said:

I dunno, I think VR might be the kind of sci-fi item that personal flying vehicles are, one that seems cool in theory but isn’t actually viable as a consumer product, so becomes the exclusive preserve of rich enthusiasts.

I'd wager people said that about cars at the begining of the 20th century...

As soon as VR is as easy as me putting on a pair of glasses and pressing the ‘on’ button, and the tech has largely eliminated nausea and either scans the room / allows for instant flicking between the display and a transparent frame. Then VR popularity will explode.

I agree... I see VR more of a side dish to gaming... like a steering wheel, fishing rod etc.  

53 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

I'd wager people said that about cars at the begining of the 20th century...

I'd say theres a fair bit of difference between the 2. Cars help us travel large distances at our own leisure. VR makes you flail your arms around in a room making you look an utter bellend.

6 minutes ago, cohen205 said:

I'd say theres a fair bit of difference between the 2. Cars help us travel large distances at our own leisure. VR makes you flail your arms around in a room making you look an utter bellend.

But if everyone else in the room is also wearing VR and you’re in the same game or experience - that won’t matter. Maybe they’ll invent arm and leg straps for full body tracking. Total immersion.

Then people will start building VR rooms like Abed and Troy’s in Community.

2 minutes ago, cohen205 said:

Okay then. I bet people said the same about the TV in the middle of the last century. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, cohen205 said:

VR has the potential to help us travel large distances at our own leisure, albeit not physically. Not everyone drives out of need.

I see VR a bit like mobile FaceTime/video calls etc. When it first came out no one liked it and the quality was shit. Remember the first Motorola 3G phones? Eventually a company came around (Apple ) and bought it into the mainstream through better tech and a better product to use it on. Then everyone else caught up, too.

Currently the tech isn’t quite there for VR but it seems inevitable that it will get there.

I think VR though is something that can actually be a future that is pushed by gaming. The two main things that Broker mentioned in the OP are just gaming making use of technologies that were being pushed predominently for other purposes. Online, because, well everything was becoming connected, and HD resolutions because that's what TV manufacturers were pushing and that was the way film and TV was going*.

Now don't get me wrong the actual technology used in VR hardware is only possible at the price point it's at because of the phone market but as a technology I think it will be lead by games.

*Also HD resolutions is a bit of a cop out of THE FUTURE, the internal render resolution of games has been increasing from the moment they were first created and are just a reflection of the current technology.

I agree that VR has a long way to go, but in terms of accessibility I think this gen has seen more progress than ever before. When it was just the Rift I remember being disappointed at my PC's benchmark results when I wanted to find out if I could even do VR stuff, and it seemed like a pretty exclusive pursuit, but with the likes of Sony, Samsung and (don't laugh) Nintendo attempting things there are more opportunities to see what the fuss is about.

PSVR is clunky as heck and it's relying on an ageing PS4 for performance, but it's still impressive if you're willing to accept the caveats. With a lighter headset and less cable spaghetti it might actually get somewhere...

I mean I think the premise that we’re being sold things regularly using that terminology is solid, if you can find better examples feel free. We’re constantly told that things will change gaming, that you are the controller. Some of those things take off and some don’t. My specific examples weren’t particularly important.

21 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

But if everyone else in the room is also wearing VR and you’re in the same game or experience - that won’t matter. Maybe they’ll invent arm and leg straps for full body tracking. Total immersion.

Then people will start building VR rooms like Abed and Troy’s in Community.

That isn’t total immersion though. It’s a screen stuck to your face and some tracking of your limbs. It’s exactly the same as current VR except with a bit of leg waving added. The holodeck style experience requires an omnidirectional treadmill, perfect finger tracking, infinite space, morphable physical objects. That’s a hundred years away, not something that’s going to seamlessly evolve from the current screen strapped to your face.