Formula One - 2020

3 hours ago, kiroquai said:

Seb has bought an ex-Mansell FW14B from Williams.

Say what you will about his driving over the past few seasons, but I like the guy. He loves the historical side of the sport.

Didn't take them long to start asset stripping then.

A really thoughtful message from Hamilton about mental health and how asking for help is nothing to be ashamed of,

The Reddit thread on it is unsurprisingly a cesspool of people asking how someone so rich could be unhappy

He’s so polarising, whatever he puts out there will get the full gamut of responses. His BLM campaigning has probably made this more acute.

I hate the culture of immediately bashing people that put themselves out there and try to share thoughts or feelings. Some of his message make me full on cringe but ffs he’s not hurting anyone with it. If you don’t like it don’t follow him on social (I don’t), it’s really simple.

17 hours ago, Dudley said:

Didn't take them long to start asset stripping then.

It's very difficult to tell if it's the last one they had. 6 are known to exist with Williams retaining just one of them. I'd be suprised if it is that one that's been sold.....but vulture capitalists got to cash in. Not sure 3 million euro's is going to make much of a dent to be honest.

49 minutes ago, marsh said:

It's very difficult to tell if it's the last one they had. 6 are known to exist with Williams retaining just one of them. I'd be suprised if it is that one that's been sold.....but vulture capitalists got to cash in. Not sure 3 million euro's is going to make much of a dent to be honest.

Keeps the lights on for another week.

Inevitable, Frank should have retired for his own health a decade or more ago and Claire just wasn't suitable for that particular job from the start.

Whether you're asset stripping or trying to run a winning team, other than maybe contracting Frank to do some appearances there's no reason for any of them to be around.

It’s time for a change for sure, but it would have been nice for them to still have some connection.

I give it 2 years tops before they change the name or drop the Williams bit down the order, like they did with Sauber as a prelude to dropping it completely.

If they are starting to sell off the heritage then it kind of dovetails with the theory.

38 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Had a look and Drive to Survive is being done this season too. So that could be an interesting episode.

Considering the absurdly easy ride they gave Rich Energy, I can't see them including anything too controversial around the Williams situation. 

21 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

Considering the absurdly easy ride they gave Rich Energy, I can't see them including anything too controversial around the Williams situation. 

Yeah I think they will be respectful.

1 hour ago, layten said:

What a sad way to end. :( 

Absolutely. A lot of folks will have seen the Williams documentary and hence know what this photo is, but for those who don't: this is Frank's late wife Ginny getting the winning constructor's trophy at Brands Hatch in 1986. It was the first race she and Frank had attended since his car accident in France in March that had left him paralysed. She'd spent the past three months at his bedside expecting him to die and then having to basically look after him 24/7.

l41mrr1a79r01.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

Pretty much sums up Williams in a lot of ways, that photo. Determination to fight the odds. I think the family stepping away is a good move but nonetheless it's a pretty sad moment for the sport.

1 hour ago, wev said:

It's sad but the team has really declined under Clare's leadership, whilst I don't think everything is down to her

True, but there have been a number of times where you have to question her priorities. Like the race weekend where they were really struggling (nothing new), and she was too busy emailing the team to make sure they wore the correct uniform in the pits and not shorts. Or the way she handled the fallout with Paddy last year. I know Drive To Survive is edited to make it extra juicy, but you could see the atmosphere between them. At one point he tried to speak to her and she just ignores him and walks off like a bully popular girl vs a wee nerd at school.

18 minutes ago, mexos said:

BMW were far stronger when they were with Williams.

Williams were also making cars that could win more than just the one off BMW Sauber won. 2003 BMW Williams won, what 4? And they were proper contenders.

I’m just being facetious, but yes you’re right. They deserved a lot more - was it them that were hampered by some mid season rule change on tyres? 

5 minutes ago, mexos said:

It looks like Renault might rebrand the team as Alpine. Bring it on. A friend many moons ago had one of these, so cool. 

DSC_4367_1.jpg

Awesome, although it doesn’t do a lot for the main brand if the public don’t know who Alpine is. “Renault Alpine” maybe, like Merc-AMG? 

I’m actually surprised that the drivers’ company cars seem to be RS Meganes instead of something more interesting like the Alpine, or even a Nissan GTR. 

I’m almost as sad as I was when Lotus went, this feels like the end of Williams and the dawn of evil Williams and that is a sorry state of affairs for F1 - the only thing that can cheer one up would be George finishing ahead of Ferrari on home turf!

Come on Geroge, do it for Frank!