Formula One - 2020

4 hours ago, beenabadbunny said:

Great post as always, @kiroquai.

I've got to say I'm surprised at how lax some people seem to be getting with regard to safety in current F1. We've discussed the coronavirus precautions already so I won't get into that again, but in particular it seems astonishing that Leclerc and Ferrari haven't had a fine, or even a warning as far as I can see, for doing two laps at race pace in Catalonia with no seat belts on!

I think he said he loosened the belts rather than removed them completely, but I agree 100%

See also numerous 5 second penalties for unsafe release, or getting away with it because "the pit lane is wider here" and driving at 130mph+ on a flat, and driving around with a a bit flapping off.

It seems the black flag is really only used for drivers running off the circuit and gaining an advantage 3+ times, or when it's too late (e.g. half of the flapping around part is already littering the circuit).

F1 should never forget the bad accidents and fatalities, they are hugely sad, but non the less, part of our sport.  I hope to not witness another in my time, but if it does happen, I sincerely hope it's not because of something that could have so easily been prevented within the existing rule set..

6 minutes ago, Freeman said:

I think he said he loosened the belts rather than removed them completely, but I agree 100%

Granted, but nonetheless. I've read that in endurance racing, it's a penalty and fine if you even loosen the belt on the way into the pits for a driver change. Either you're stationary, or the belt is 100% done up tight.

I think F1 belts can only be fastened by a crew member, not the driver, and there's some kind of tensioner required. They didn't have a spare one to hand, is that right, and that's why they couldn't refasten his harness and send him out again?

Formula E has given out five-figure fines in the past for seatbelt infractions. Relative to FE team budgets, that's a bit like fining Scuderia Ferrari in the mid-high six figures.

3 hours ago, marsh said:

That's what I did in GT Sport on monday night......:doh:

Came out of the last turn so sideways that the only option left was to stick the car in the pits.

And me! Why am I admitting this? :lol:

Today's backmarker car - one that was so uncompetitive and so short-lived that I assume most people don't remember it existing! This is a slight deviation in my original criteria for these as the team who fielded this car were genuinely solid (and once very good) - this, however, was one of their lowest ebbs.

4c5c8614afd066e5a95018e57f70211c.jpg

I'm going to guess... 1993 Tyrell?

Club Angle is a Tyrell giveaway. Yamaha engines, even though the nose is low it still wants to be high!

Ukyo at the wheel? 

Winner! It's the 021, which was only used for the last seven races of the year. It usually qualified at the back of the grid and didn't score any points. Mike Gascoyne, who worked with Mike Coughlan on the car, said that it was 'very unreliable and borderline dangerous'.

As a reward, here is another glorious backmarker from the same year.

Di1zKPuXsAA9tSe.jpg

1 hour ago, kiroquai said:

Winner! It's the 021, which was only used for the last seven races of the year. It usually qualified at the back of the grid and didn't score any points. Mike Gascoyne, who worked with Mike Coughlan on the car, said that it was 'very unreliable and borderline dangerous'.

As a reward, here is another glorious backmarker from the same year.

Di1zKPuXsAA9tSe.jpg

It's one of the mysteries of the ages why Lola couldn't build a decent F1 car...

I mean, given that they could build competitive Indycars, Prototypes, and F3000s, you'd think they would have the depth of skill, talent, and knowledge to at least make a midfielder and mix it with the smaller competent teams.

But no - we have a failed attempt at an  FW14 clone (nothing new under the sun). always liked that livery, though.

The Chesterfield livery was awesome. :wub:

I designed Lola's website many years ago and got to go around the factory a few times. Proper cottage industry compared to the other team factories I've been lucky enough to have a nose around, felt like a step back in time. Sad when they went, but they just wanted to do everything the old fashioned way and didn't move with the times. 

41 minutes ago, mexos said:

I don’t buy this at all. Merc will run the car in the most advantageous configuration to them. They could run the car that way right now with sticking to 1 mode but they choose not too for reasons.

Perhaps it is more performance relative to other teams.  If every team has to pick a single performance option for qualifying and race it could be that Mercedes qualifying race pace suffers but that they have more ommph to spend in the race. I recall something along the lines that every lap of qualifying power mode means 20 laps of less power during the race to maximise the life of the engine. 

22 hours ago, kiroquai said:

The missus: 'Oh hey you got some post, anything exciting?'

Me: 'er... define exciting'

Hide contents

bbcf1mags.thumb.jpg.9ff15782298b2f5712d817b7eb391454.jpg

Well, they're exciting to me anyway.

Pretty sure I still have four or five of those at least.

Indeed! A shame really as you can imagine him working away on iterations and iterations of suspension geometries not really ever fully realising how much the game had passed him by. Also very interesting to hear about the problems in Lola's windtunnel around the time - you definitely could see something was wrong what with how Reynard started taking them to the cleaners in F3000 and IndyCar.

The amazing thing is, of course, that no matter how poor the T93/30 was, they then went on to get it even more wrong with the T97/30.

15 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

Indeed! A shame really as you can imagine him working away on iterations and iterations of suspension geometries not really ever fully realising how much the game had passed him by. Also very interesting to hear about the problems in Lola's windtunnel around the time - you definitely could see something was wrong what with how Reynard started taking them to the cleaners in F3000 and IndyCar.

The amazing thing is, of course, that no matter how poor the T93/30 was, they then went on to get it even more wrong with the T97/30.

Yeah, I had thought he would have long handed over design responsibilities before 1992/3. He was a contemporary of Colin Chapman, coming out of that same post-war special-building scene. I had no idea Broadley was still actually designing large chunks of Lolas into the 90s.

Clearly a man driven by passion (and sizing the car so he could fit in it is a tell-tale of heart ruling head), but yeah - of a previous generation, not realising (or willing to admit) the game has changed.

The same arguement for Lola could be pointed at Dallara, though Dallara managed to thrive outside of F1. Maybe that's why Haas struggle, the faint waft of failure from whatever he purchased from the remains of Lola cars when they went bust....

4 hours ago, merman said:

Pretty sure I still have four or five of those at least.

I had at least 3 of them going off the covers. One of which I remember because I spilt a bowl of corn flakes  over the cover and didn’t notice. Next day they had fused to the image of Mansell on the cover. It was nasty but I still kept it!

On 19/08/2020 at 14:19, JohnC said:

Speaking of cars not qualifying, when is the last time that happened? It seems like in the modern day, when a car falls outside the qualifying percentage (is that even still a thing right now?), they let them race anyway. 

I agree, I don't think we've had a genuine DNQ since HRT turned up with a mess at the start of 2012.

Generally you're allowed to race if you've done a time in practice that would be within 107% and these days everyone does, especially as Mercedes aren't running close to potential in Q1 which is what they'd compare you against.

The last DNQs because the grid was full were in 1994, when there were 28 entrants for 26 spaces.  For 1995 we lost Lotus and Larrouse but gained Forti for a capacity grid.  From there we lost Simtek, Forti and then gradually drifted down to 20.

11 hours ago, mexos said:

I don’t buy this at all. Merc will run the car in the most advantageous configuration to them. They could run the car that way right now with sticking to 1 mode but they choose not too for reasons.

I absolutely buy it.

You can't run the engine at full beans all the time and have it last the right number of races, if you're banned from super full beans in qualifying that's going to give you more full beans in races.

That is of course though, true of all the other teams.

Today's backmarker. Once again, a case of a once-great team fallen on hard times (not much of a mystery as to which team this is). This picture shows a driver who never managed to qualify for any of the Grands Prix he attempted during his incredibly brief F1 career :sherlock:

bartels91lotushockenheim.jpg

I like that helmet design....

I blame it all on not having a wind tunnel and Nelson Piquet trousering an extortionate amount of cash for driving for them. Though I'm sure part two of that book I posted about further in the thread will reveal all.

44 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

Today's backmarker. Once again, a case of a once-great team fallen on hard times (not much of a mystery as to which team this is). This picture shows a driver who never managed to qualify for any of the Grands Prix he attempted during his incredibly brief F1 career :sherlock:

bartels91lotushockenheim.jpg

Lotus...95 or 96?

Think Lamy was also in that car but that’s not him.