rllmuk

Formula One - 2020

3 hours ago, mexos said:

Ok let’s do some predictions.

We don’t have a world championship this year. We do have a number of one off events. I’m guessing 10 tops later in the year.

The field is not always full. Ferrari, Haas and AT miss races.

Stroll wins a race

Haas pull out at the end of the year.

Seb retires, Ferrari hire Danny.

Renault pull out. 

Kimi retires

Albon wins a race. 
Williams score points.
3 car teams become a possibility again.

Bottas has the most points at the end of the season but is not crowned champion. :ph34r:

I'll raise you with Mercedes quitting. Gets announced after Silverstone.

On 02/03/2020 at 11:42, Mr Tony said:

That's everyone in the thread. The league is live. Get it joined.

Edit: Also, please name your team something that we can recognise. I've got my Muk username in it so it's clear.

I'm in! :)

On 02/03/2020 at 09:54, John0 said:

Anyone in here ever been to Monza? Been looking at tickets (despite Coronovirus hysteria) as me and the gf went to Hungary last year and it was excellent. Any tips/advice? Looks kinda difficult to get as good of a seat as T1 Hungaroring but was considering either side of the first chicane.

I've been three times - it's awesome!  Can be done more cheaply than Silverstone if you get the flights booked early enough too.  It's possible to fly in to Milan early Saturday morning and make it to qualifying, and fly out on Sunday evening after the race, meaning only one night accommodation required.  Of course, it's more fun to spend a bit of time in Milan and go to all the Friday sessions too.

I've sat in a couple of different places - most expensive was stand 6B at the chicane at the end of the start/finish straight.  Great view, always people missing the chicane/some passing, plus if you're quick you can get right underneath the podium in time for the drivers to come out. Always such an amazing atmosphere - well worth the effort (see photo below!)

I've also sat at the last corner - lateral parabolica I think the stand is called.  Again, no complaints about the view but would go for 6B if I went again.

Transport is great - trains to/from Milan to the circuit and free shuttle buses.  

Take some time to wander around the circuit - you can walk on the banking of the old circuit, which is pretty crazy when you see how steep it is.

It's mostly been baking hot when I've been so take sunscreen.  I was also there when it endlessly pissed it down leading to quali taking place about 2 hours late (2017).  My friend's camera and phone were ruined due to amount of water falling on us, and my Kindle gave up the ghost too, so pack waterproofs as well - not much shelter there from sun or rain!

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to help :)

IMG_2859.thumb.JPG.c75d12d550864e9bfbeeaad562ecb61f.JPG

• Upvote 7
8 hours ago, marsh said:

If that be true,  when does Ferrari announce Lewis? :eyebrows:

Thanks @Bushtopher ! That's all great to hear. One quick question, how do you actually get to the 6 A/B/C seats? Do you go under/over the track? Or is there a separate entrance?

(also that photo is amazing!)

15 hours ago, mexos said:

Ok let’s do some predictions.

We don’t have a world championship this year. We do have a number of one off events. I’m guessing 10 tops later in the year.

The field is not always full. Ferrari, Haas and AT miss races.

Stroll wins a race

Haas pull out at the end of the year.

Seb retires, Ferrari hire Danny.

Renault pull out. 

Kimi retires

Albon wins a race. 
Williams score points.
3 car teams become a possibility again.

Bottas has the most points at the end of the season but is not crowned champion. :ph34r:

I can see Racing Point winning a race, but Stroll....  I mean, Stroll doesn't have Pastor Maldonado levels of skillz  :ph34r:

Can't argue with the other points though, Kimi should have been gone by now, and most of the thins will make F1 a much weaker sport, and the impending budget cap rules might be enough for the teams not to pull out..

11 hours ago, marsh said:

I really don't see this happening, unless they don't win, or perhaps unless they leave as a manufacturer, but continue to supply engines.

From what I understand, the F1 budget of Merc pales into insignificance compared to their global marketing budget, and has been very, very fruitful in awareness and popularity of the brand.

As for my prediction, I know I'm going a little out there with this one, but I predict that

Red Bull will start and finish the season with the same 2 drivers.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Freeman said:

As for my prediction, I know I'm going a little out there with this one, but I predict that

Red Bull will start and finish the season with the same 2 drivers.

Careful now....

One of the big teams has a driver that needs to self isolate and misses a race.

Hulk is drafted in for the weekend and G E T S  A  P O D I U M.

The 'ill' driver then tests negative and Hulk is dropped again only to be signed up for 2021 off the back of the podium.

3 hours ago, John0 said:

Thanks @Bushtopher ! That's all great to hear. One quick question, how do you actually get to the 6 A/B/C seats? Do you go under/over the track? Or is there a separate entrance?

(also that photo is amazing!)

There's a bridge over the track - and I think a tunnel if you come from another direction.  There's an entrance that takes you in near the last corner and you can walk up along the circuit (past the helicopter landing area on the right) and then over a bridge and past the Ferrari parking area (no kidding) and get to the stand that way .

There's another train station at the other end of the circuit (near the Lesmo curve I think) which you can also get in through - means you don't need to bother with a shuttle bus from the main train station although there tend to be longer queues for the train.

It's a lovely park/circuit to wander around (if it's not raining!)

• Upvote 1

Probably not the only GP to be held behind closed doors this year. Assuming many of the races actually take place due to how close Ferrari are to the lockdown area.

So tracks pay a fortune to host a race and get nothing back from tickets. Any chance of some saying they simply can’t afford that if it comes to them having to shut out spectators?

Absolutely, Silverstone couldn't go ahead if the FIA don't want to pay them.

They're going to have fun even with Bahrain,  they're refunding tickets but a very good portion of those who go there are now too late to cancel flights and hotels.

And ignore the fucking idiots online saying there aren't spectators at Bahrain, I've been, the grandstand was absolutely full during the race.

23 hours ago, Dudley said:

Absolutely, Silverstone couldn't go ahead if the FIA don't want to pay them.

They're going to have fun even with Bahrain,  they're refunding tickets but a very good portion of those who go there are now too late to cancel flights and hotels.

And ignore the fucking idiots online saying there aren't spectators at Bahrain, I've been, the grandstand was absolutely full during the race.

I suppose it will go that the FIA will compensate the tracks if they want the race to go ahead, but if they don’t then they’ll refuse to pay out and use “it’s the tracks’s fault it’s cancelled, not ours!” as an excuse to shift blame.

13 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

Got a ticket myself and not sure how I feel about it. I mean I'll go as it's unlikely I'll come back again soon but it going closed doors would take that thought from my mind.

Last chance saloon for holding an event like this. Aus is (imo) right to hold it right now. Give it another 2 week and (imo) all certainly this would not be the case. 

Personally I’d probably go if I had a ticket. I do have very nice tickets to Silverstone booked and paid for. I’ve preparing myself for the likelihood of it being a wash and not getting money back. 

• Mr Tony changed the title to Formula One - 2020