Formula One - 2020

Was in late 1990. Tyrrell had bought out the first 'high nose' earlier in the season and given that it was proving very competitive in Alesi's hands, McLaren were testing the concept to see if it benefited them at all. It didn't, but probably because rather than have a couple of support pillars dropping down to the wing at normal level ala Tyrrell:

alesi3bz1.jpg

They just raised the entire front wing up, which was... an interesting take :)

58ff64b26cec4dbb934436cdc1ee927c.jpg

McLaren also had an arrangement with Tyrrell at the time whereby Ron would pass any interested sponsors who weren't rich or willing to accept a tiny sticker enough to go onto the McLaren over to Ken Tyrrell in return for a small cut of the deal. That is how the pictured Tyrrell 019 came within a whisker of looking like this:

n6yi921bowkx-1300-x-715-1210x642.jpg

It shows how well balanced the car is that even with flat tyre he still managed to stop the car and get it around the corner after driving it at that speed.

• Upvote 1

I really feel people have gone the wrong way in saying how exciting the ending of the British Grand Prix was. It was really more indicative of Mercedes dominance that Hamilton could build a big enough lead to win by several seconds despite a destroyed front tyre. 

Am I the only one that cringes slightly when seeing things like Hamilton continuing with the puncture at that rate?  That tyre could have so easily broken up, or started flapping around and caused who knows what sort of accident for Hamilton, or another car hitting debris at up to 200mph. 

140mph+ with a flat seems completely irresponsible to me.

Anyway, it was an interesting end, and a bit of excitement at the end of a fairly dull race, and we get to do it all again this weekend.

For now, I'm glad we have Barcelona coming up and not Silverstone x3, if only for the change of scenery at a dull race...

11 hours ago, kiroquai said:

Yikes, that's a bit awkward :unsure:

Oh, and here's today's random backmarker from between 1988 and 1991!

gachot_subaru_3.jpg

I'd go for the Subaru coloni test mule for 1988 based on the roll over hoop. Car an absoulte pup, engine a total nail. Only tested and never ever race after they found out that it neither worked or went very fast.

Ah now see you are kind of right and kind of wrong, but your wrongness references a particularly obscure F1 test mule and hence I am very impressed :hat:

The car is a Coloni, as you say. However, it’s their actual 1990 race car! Bertrand Gachot had no chance - as you say, the engine was atrocious. The chassis was dreadful too - it still failed to pre-qualify when they swapped to a Ford Cosworth, which was approximately 112kg(!) lighter than the Subaru.

Now, the test mule I think you reference is the 1989 Minardi Subaru tests, run using the 1988 car! Here it is:

F429C15E-6742-4197-A281-812FA1096514.jpeg.6f8a4773aa8c9e4bb3cd4e94c6dabf62.jpeg

Minardi quickly realised the engine would probably end any chance of them maintaining their upward momentum if they chose it, so they politely declined the opportunity to work with Subaru and ended up with a supply of Ford Cosworth DFR engines for 1990 instead :sherlock:

• Upvote 1
21 hours ago, Freeman said:

Am I the only one that cringes slightly when seeing things like Hamilton continuing with the puncture at that rate?  That tyre could have so easily broken up, or started flapping around and caused who knows what sort of accident for Hamilton, or another car hitting debris at up to 200mph. 

140mph+ with a flat seems completely irresponsible to me.

Anyway, it was an interesting end, and a bit of excitement at the end of a fairly dull race, and we get to do it all again this weekend.

For now, I'm glad we have Barcelona coming up and not Silverstone x3, if only for the change of scenery at a dull race...

I’d imagine the stewards had a finger hovering over the radio button, ready to order Mercedes to stop the car the second it did start flailing bits of carbon fibre everywhere, but it’s pretty standard/common for a driver with a flat to complete the lap as fast as they’re able to, just that’s usually to the pits rather than the finish line. I mean Bottas did it a lap or two earlier and I’ve not seen anyone suggest he was in the wrong.

10 hours ago, GwiDan said:

112kg! :lol:

Amazing and yet true :). The engine block itself was only about 9kg heavier IIRC, but the associated oil reservoirs and the like then weighed in at an extra 103kg or so :lol:

Well, it looks painfully close in aero to the life f1 car. I can't quite place that helmet though it seems familiar...

Not Patrese, Morbidelli or Martini.

• Upvote 1

Ah excellent, you are on the right lines with both!

That car is the (planned) First Racing entry for the 1989 season. Photo was taken at the annual Bologna event in early 1989 (most Italian teams used to send a car along). Problem was, during construction someone set the temperature on the autoclave incorrectly whilst the chassis was being 'baked'. meaning it was pretty much useless and had to be remade. This situation meant that the team would miss the first two races, so whilst a second chassis was being constructed they tried to make good the original by reinforcing it. As a result it was hugely overweight and they decided to pull their entry and focus on their F3000 team instead.

That second chassis, however, was subsequently built and purchased. It went on to become the greatest F1 car that ever existed:

95a4207608cbef565897d9fb83a8bec3.jpg

As for the driver, you were on the right lines in terms of nationality! It was Gabriele Tarquini :). First pulling the plug on their F1 plans for 1989 left him out of a drive, but he ended up replacing the injured Phillipe Streiff at AGS and got a point for them in Mexico.

• Upvote 2
On 04/08/2020 at 09:13, kiroquai said:

Yikes, that's a bit awkward :unsure:

Oh, and here's today's random backmarker from between 1988 and 1991!

gachot_subaru_3.jpg

One of two times in that period a team dumped a high profile works engine deal midseason to go buy generic engines off the shelf because it'd be less embarrassing.

The other being the Arrows/Footwork Porsche fiasco.

14 hours ago, kiroquai said:

Minardi quickly realised the engine would probably end any chance of them maintaining their upward momentum if they chose it, so they politely declined the opportunity to work with Subaru and ended up with a supply of Ford Cosworth DFR engines for 1990 instead :sherlock:

And promptly stuck the car on the front row for the first race, ahead of the more famous drive of Jean Alesi.

2 hours ago, marsh said:

Well, it looks painfully close in aero to the life f1 car. I can't quite place that helmet though it seems familiar...

Not Patrese, Morbidelli or Martini.

Beautiful spot sir, like seriously, that's an obscure thing to notice.

I didn't see kiro mention the driver, it's Gabrielle Tarquini.

• Mr Tony changed the title to Formula One - 2020