Formula One - 2020

6 hours ago, kiroquai said:

Hmm...

... was it the 1988 Brazilian GP, when Dallara entered their 1987 F3000 chassis for Alex Caffi because their F1 car wasn’t ready yet?

Good question, that :sherlock:

You are, of course, correct.

It wasn't even a good F3000 car and alex was 18 seconds off the pace but crucially, wasn't fined for missing the round.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, GwiDan said:

Mercedes 0.7 quicker than last year. 

Do you think if we tell Hamilton he can have the championship right now he'll fuck off and take his team with him and we can have some racing?

If that happened Max would win the title comfortably looking at how everyone has performed so far. At least the Red Bull is twitchy so it would look more difficult and his teammate is mixing it with the pack to make the car not look as good but it's saying something that even the worst Red Bull in years is comfortably the second best car/ driver combination on the grid. 

I wonder how much of the Red Bull being difficult is down to Verstappen? Do we know how he likes his car set up? I seem to recall that the only Benetton driver that didn't struggle with the car, aside from Schumacher, was Brundle, whos always said Schumacher liked the car on its nose. This Red Bull seems similar in that respect whereas they always used to be planted at the rear, during the Riccardo/Verstappen years they seemed to try and keep up the pretence that they were treating both drivers equally, so the set up of the car was more balanced, now Verstappen is far and away their #1 so has more of a say on how the car develops than previously.

46 minutes ago, Dudley said:

You are, of course, correct.

It wasn't even a good F3000 car and alex was 18 seconds off the pace but crucially, wasn't fined for missing the round.

To give them credit, their actual F1 car for that year was very tidy indeed.

0AF70DE9-4247-4331-B207-FA1BF0DF69CF.jpeg.c187b3e47274fcd988818842ea89263a.jpeg

This would be a fascinating line of discussion for a YouTube episode of *gets pitch-making suit on* Motorsport Yesterzine, in which you go through old Autosport and F1 magazines from the 1980s :sherlock:

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

This would be a fascinating line of discussion for a YouTube episode of *gets pitch-making suit on* Motorsport Yesterzine, in which you go through old Autosport and F1 magazines from the 1980s :sherlock:

Netflix would be all over that like a tramp on chips. Where do I sign??

5 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

With you as co-host?

22 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

If I had the time it'd be a lovely thing to do because just like with gaming there's stuff that you can't even concieve of now.  With gaming it's stuff like Tape loading and importing games as a regular thing. With motorsport it's entering F3000 cars or inventing refuelling then failing to keep a car running long enough to get to try it out.

That Dallara F3000 is another trivia answer too, it's the last time anyone entered a Ford DFV in a Grand Prix, 21 years after the basic design made its debut.

Before the drivers could pick their numbers what was the previous highest car number on the grid and who was it, how did they get there? I've seen a pic of a #34 though I can't remember the details

30 minutes ago, wev said:

Before the drivers could pick their numbers what was the previous highest car number on the grid and who was it, how did they get there? I've seen a pic of a #34 though I can't remember the details

There's a picture of a 36 in the post above yours!

Without looking anything up, 1989 originally had 40 entrants so we're definitely going higher than 34.

1 minute ago, Dudley said:

There's a picture of a 36 in the post above yours!

Without looking anything up, 1989 originally had 40 entrants so we're definitely going higher than 34.

I know, thats what sparked it, the highest I'd personally seen (that I remember) until then was 34.

I was 5 in 89...

You've asked a different question though, you've said "on the grid" so explicitly you're asking for a car that qualified for a GP whether you meant to or not.

I have a vague feeling Rial had a 39 at some point and they qualified on occaision in 1989.

As a random guess before looking, Andrea de Cesaris for Rial in 1989.

Ok I've looked that one up and I'm wrong, Andrea had moved on by then and the 39 didn't get on the grid but the 38 did.

However...

AGS got a 40 on the grid that year, although their 41 never made it but probably counts as the highest entry number.  FIRST were allocated 42 but never made it to a race much less a grid

I think the only chance of bettering that is weird numbering before the standardised team system came in.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Dudley said:

You've asked a different question though, you've said "on the grid" so explicitly you're asking for a car that qualified for a GP whether you meant to or not.

I have a vague feeling Rial had a 39 at some point and they qualified on occaision in 1989.

As a random guess before looking, Andrea de Cesaris for Rial in 1989.

Yeah, sorry, poor wording maybe, but you're right, I mean a car that actually qualified for the race.

Cool, then in the system you mean I think the answer is in that spoiler.

But it was chaotic before that, it was 1974 before season long numbers were an official thing and of course teams ran 3rd drivers back then with crazy numbers.

I've found a car entered as #208 already and a #56 that scored points.

image.png.f7c177de4b71c639ecb7fb44af12eb25.png

• Upvote 1

The answer is in that spoiler :sherlock:

Yannick Dalmas. Never pre-qualified but it does count as an entry!
C182BD3C-21EF-4586-A283-A6524726243B.jpeg.cd9658ef64da471863b6c3ff80d59b88.jpeg
Sidenote: Mr Dalmas might be the answer to the question: ‘Name the only then-active F1 driver to catch Legionnaires disease’ too.

Wev wanted someone who started so it's his teammate, assuming we accept that it only covers regular drivers using season long numbers.

Otherwise I doubt we're gonna beat 208 for a one off entry.  we might beat 56 for a starter.

• Upvote 1

Albon did a 1:26.345 in a 2019 Torro Rosso in qualifying last year at the British GP.

And in a 2020 Red Bull: 1:26.545.

:unsure:

What on earth do you do about this if you're Red Bull though? I don't think Kvyat is an option with Gasly ahead of him comfortably at the moment. You could swap Albon and Gasly again but this is such an admission that you got it wrong in the first place. And it might well be trying to solve your problem with the same methods that caused it in the first place. There's no way at all you throw Daruvala/Tsunoda in there as that probably compounds all the problems too.

I think they'll stick with Albon till the end of the season at least but it might be very painful to watch. Horner is so vocal in backing him in a way that he wasn't with Gasly - possibly (probably?) because they know they don't really have a choice. I'm surprised they ruled out Vettel so conclusively, they're so low on options.

On a not really related, but maybe not entirely unrelated, note; I was listening to Norris's Beyond the Grid interview from the start of the year and there's a bit where he recalls Helmut Marko requesting to meet him. They have a bit of a chat and at one point Marko asks him, "how much does your car weigh?" And Norris kind of fluffs around an answer and then admits that he doesn't know, and Marko goes, "Max would know. Max knows everything about the car"... says it all really! :)

Maybe they could buy out Guanyu Zhou from Renault. That guy is really something. Stormed through the field yesterday and I just watched him take 2 cars in one corner the sprint race this morning. 

Or maybe they could bring Tikctum back into the fold the same way they did with Albon. 

Helmut Marko’s pride means they won’t recruit someone outside the Red Bull Junior programme which hasn’t produced anyone since Max five years ago good enough for the main team. Which is a shame because it would be interesting to see someone from outside the system who doesn’t owe their career to Marko having a go. 

If the Red Bull jr scheme had anyone they'd be at Toro Rosso.

They've Tsuonda in F2, at Honda's request but even if you think he's good enough he's still not in the big team until 2022.

• Mr Tony changed the title to Formula One - 2020