Formula One - 2020

T Pot

On 06/07/2020 at 11:06, beenabadbunny said:

He was doing some promo for Estrella Galicia a few months ago. The brief was essentially "tell us a funny story" and his best example was when he supposedly went to a restaurant in Shanghai, noticed a cat hanging around the restaurant, then it wasn't there any more, then his dinner came I WONDER WHERE THE CAT ENDED UP

More to the point he's an ultra-nationalist and his whole family has links to the far-right VOX party. It's basically like if George Russell voted BNP, probably.

He was also one of the six who didn't bend the knee last week :sherlock:

Can't get the tweet to embed, but @robwattsf1 on Twitter is posting about a rumour for 2021. Apparently Mateschitz wants Vettel back in Red Bull alongside Verstappen. In which case Albon would be back to Alpha Tauri and Kvyat would be out.

Source appears to be German-language press: https://www.motorsport-total.com/formel-1/news/sebastian-vettel-und-red-bull-bringt-ihn-nach-hause-20070902

My German isn't brilliant so I'm sure I'm missing some nuance, but yon article mentions that Red Bull is 51% Thai-owned, so now that Albon has been promoted to the A team it might not be internally popular to demote him again.

This is assuming there's anything to it at all, of course. Could just be silly-season nonsense.

Yes, Red Bull originates from Thailand. In the early 1980's Dietrich Mateschitz went on a business trip to Thailand (can't remember why, but he worked in marketing for a toothpaste/dental brand I believe) and drank some Krating Daeng which got him over his jetlag pretty quickly. He was interested as to what it was and partnered with the creator to make a slightly different version of it and sell it in the west. That drink became the Red Bull we know today :).

The Red Bull company is separate from Krating Daeng but the family of the creator of the original Krating Daeng (who died a few years back and was worth billions) own 51% of Red Bull alongside their ownership of their original company.

Here's the Thai version. I think it's got a slightly different, less sweet taste and isn't carbonated. The name 'Krating Daeng' translates as Red Bull and I think was named after a particular bull that was prevalent in that area of Asia.

s-l1600.jpg

Eurgh, why does Mateschitz have such a hard-on for Vettel? Yeah, yeah, he won them four Drivers and Constructors championships, 7 years ago, and was then handed his arse when Ricciardo took over from Webber.

Imagine how Albon would feel being the only driver at Alpha Tauri without a podium.

Vettel is Dieter’s star driver who brought loads of success to the brand and team. That’s why he’d have him back.

2 hours ago, wev said:

Eurgh, why does Mateschitz have such a hard-on for Vettel? Yeah, yeah, he won them four Drivers and Constructors championships, 7 years ago, and was then handed his arse when Ricciardo took over from Webber.

Dunno, but I do know I want to see him getting fucking destroyed by Max.

24 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Bottas and Leclerc both went back to Monaco during the week

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/jul/09/bottas-and-leclerc-investigated-f1-covid-19-rules

All they are going to get is a warning.

If you read beyond the headlines, it sounds like a bunch from F2 and F3 grid did so too.  

Louis Deletraz for example seems to have been off on a Le Mans testing day.

You’d think the FIA would come down harder on them because the bubble of how they’ve managed to get countries to agree to the travelling circus visiting them without needing to quarantine 

It apparently takes Codemasters a year to build a circuit for the game so don’t expect Magello in the 2020 edition.

Indeed, both drivers are very exciting, modern, Formula 1 drivers. There's something about Vettel thats very Schumacher era, where it was all about getting the job done in qualifying, and if that goes tits up you're reliant on everyone around you having a bad race. Alot of the new drivers seem to be willing to take matters into their own hands.

2 minutes ago, ryodi said:

You’d think the FIA would come down harder on them because the bubble of how they’ve managed to get countries to agree to the travelling circus visiting them without needing to quarantine 

The FIA, and indeed the countries in question, are in a difficult position with that one politically.

If they give them a race ban, then they piss off the fans, and a reduced grid isn't what anyone wants, plus they need to have a certain number of cars on the grid from a sponsor contract perspective I believe.

If they force drivers to stay, there are potentially human rights violations, and those don't make for good press.

"The FIA wouldn't let me race, all I wanted to do was see my family" etc.

The other side of it, the risk...

From what we seem to know, it looks like Charles, for example, went back to Monaco and was pictured with people within his bubble, so the risk is the travel aspect, which the governments of said countries are supposed to be managing.  It was safe to go in in the first place...

Deletraz heading off to drive another car with a different team (I think he's with Rebellion at LeMans?) seems much worse to me, but then, he's a nobody as it stands so the press don't care?

Social media seems to be full of the usual fanboyisms - ban them because I'm a fan of someone else etc.

On another note, I'm seeing a lot of backlash and negativity for BLM, and other diversity causes on F1 social media.  I find it really sad that my beloved sport is loved by so many idiots...

15 minutes ago, Freeman said:

The FIA, and indeed the countries in question, are in a difficult position with that one politically.

If they give them a race ban, then they piss off the fans, and a reduced grid isn't what anyone wants, plus they need to have a certain number of cars on the grid from a sponsor contract perspective I believe.

If they force drivers to stay, there are potentially human rights violations, and those don't make for good press.

From what we seem to know, it looks like Charles, for example, went back to Monaco and was pictured with people within his bubble, so the risk is the travel aspect, which the governments of said countries are supposed to be managing.  It was safe to go in in the first place...

Deletraz heading off to drive another car with a different team (I think he's with Rebellion at LeMans?) seems much worse to me, but then, he's a nobody as it stands so the press don't care?

Social media seems to be full of the usual fanboyisms - ban them because I'm a fan of someone else etc.

On another note, I'm seeing a lot of backlash and negativity for BLM, and other diversity causes on F1 social media.  I find it really sad that my beloved sport is loved by so many idiots...

I'll always support Hamilton when he raises awareness of BLM, but alot of people believe that because he got a contract from McLaren at a young age, because he is employed by Mercedes and has sponsorship from Hugo Boss and they manufactured goods for the Nazi's during WWII, that he should shut up and not say anything because they deem him to be a huge hypocrite. They're completely wrong, if anything it gives him a platform where he can say these things to potentially millions of people (provided they want to listen), but that seems to be the feeling I get from Twitter etc :(

39 minutes ago, Freeman said:

I don't buy at all that requiring them to stay on site could have been construed as a human rights violation. They're there of their own volition and they're being paid to be there, they're not prisoners. But remaining on site (or with the convoy as it travels by road between the circuits) should have been a condition of the events being allowed to happen AT ALL, clearly stipulated in advance.

Personally I think that anyone who leaves the 'travelling circus' should be quarantined in solitary upon their return, and that means no racing for that driver, not the car. There's no particular need to reduce the size of the grid. Put the reserve driver in the car, it's literally what they're there for.

I heard via Twitter that Leclerc went to a restaurant and posed for selfies with people there. I haven't seen the pictures though so I don't know if that's verified or just a rumour.

45 minutes ago, Freeman said:

Lets give them their proper name. Racists, the sport is loved by a lot of racists, you just need to look at comments on twitter for anything related to Hamilton to see that.

(on the subject of breaking the rules / COVID etc)

How does Toto get away with that mask?

As I understand it, the whole point in a respiratory mask with regard to COVID is that when you sneeze / cough, you don't spread your germs / the virus to others.

Sticking your head in 25% of a coke bottle would mean that the sneeze is just diverted, goes around the sides, and sprays your face and anyone relatively close.

He may have a health condition that results in a standard mask being difficult for him to wear? I know alot of people with anxiety and other health conditions are exempt from wearing one but he may have chosen this as a compromise?

Just now, beenabadbunny said:

Toto wears both kinds. Visor when he's on the pit wall, cloth mask when he's in the broadcast studio.

Combining the 2 posts above, I guess he could have a condition that makes it difficult to wear a respiratory mask for longer terms, so only uses one in close proximity to others..

Visor and mask aren't interchangeable, the visors role is to protect eyes of the wearer, not everyone else surrounding them.  

11 minutes ago, Freeman said:

Combining the 2 posts above, I guess he could have a condition that makes it difficult to wear a respiratory mask for longer terms, so only uses one in close proximity to others..

Visor and mask aren't interchangeable, the visors role is to protect eyes of the wearer, not everyone else surrounding them.  

I'm more inclined to think it's because he has half a billion Euros and he doesn't feel like it.

2 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

I'm more inclined to think it's because he has half a billion Euros and he doesn't feel like it.

Yes, me to.

I guess it'll be a while before our sport is free from rich egos and racists..