Formula One - 2020

T Pot

1 minute ago, Jashin said:

Really? It looked to me like Hamilton didn’t really see him or expect him to be there.

specsavers m8

Albon put his car in a space where coming together was inevitable, he caused that crash.

32 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Although to be fair they did also give him a gift with the first SC.

The first sc was about as nailed on as it gets. They’d just seen a car have a brake failure at the end of a straight . 

1 hour ago, PeteBrant said:

The first sc was about as nailed on as it gets. They’d just seen a car have a brake failure at the end of a straight . 

Again, a flat bed retrieving a car that is not actively blocking the track is exactly the situation VSC was introduced for.  Like literally, the Bianchi crash.

On the Albon - Hamilton incident. It just looked like a really great pass round the outside to me. How else do you pass someone round the outside except like that? Aren't the drivers entitled to have a go at those kind of passes? I think the penalty was probably for consequences rather than actions, which I dont agree with. But I fail to see how that's on Albon. He doesn't know how long it's going to take Lewis to get his tyres up to temp or for how long he will have an advantage. Also the win is more on the sooner he gets passed Lewis. Love to see drivers go for moves like that, I don't think it should be discouraged.

It’s a racing incident imo. Look at Lewis’s steering angle, he doesn’t  change or relax it. Albon got such good drive out of the corner but the gap was naturally closing as Lewis took his line.

Fair play for him having a go. You look like the hero when you overtake on the outside but you can very easily pay the price too. 50/50.

53 minutes ago, mexos said:

It’s a racing incident imo. Look at Lewis’s steering angle, he doesn’t  change or relax it. Albon got such good drive out of the corner but the gap was naturally closing as Lewis took his line.

Fair play for him having a go. You look like the hero when you overtake on the outside but you can very easily pay the price too. 50/50.

Actually I've looked at it again (again) on C4 just now and I'm less sure of my original opinion. I think at the point of collision Albon seems much further ahead, but he's never actually clearly ahead on corner entry or mid-corner. Unlike Leclerc's pass round the outside on Norris for e.g. where he's clearly ahead on entry and it's his corner. Agree racing incident.

What a crazy race though! So cool to have F1 back. Lando doing his bottle smash celebration on the podium :wub:

Crazy crazy race! Half the grid went through technical failures, which in the modern F1 era is weird. Albon was too impatient, he had the tyres but went for a half opening. Should have waited a bit.

Well done Landooooooo and McLaren, first podium in... how long?

4 hours ago, mexos said:

The more I see the Albon / Hamilton knock the more I am convinced it wasn’t a penalty.

Albon-Hamilton is gonna be the new Massa-Hamilton

1 minute ago, wev said:

Wow Albon looked very emotional in his interview!

Well he had just fucked his best chance of winning a race by going for a move that was always going to end in tears.

4 hours ago, John0 said:

On the Albon - Hamilton incident. It just looked like a really great pass round the outside to me. How else do you pass someone round the outside except like that? Aren't the drivers entitled to have a go at those kind of passes? I think the penalty was probably for consequences rather than actions, which I dont agree with. But I fail to see how that's on Albon. He doesn't know how long it's going to take Lewis to get his tyres up to temp or for how long he will have an advantage. Also the win is more on the sooner he gets passed Lewis. Love to see drivers go for moves like that, I don't think it should be discouraged.

It's not "On" Albon as such, for me it's a 50/50 or at least enough the stewards can butt out.

But the reason people are being down on Albon is that he shouldn't have gone for that move at all at that point, he paniced.

You have to remember the situation, it's poor race craft.  He's got about 10 laps to go. He's got 2 cars to pass.  He's on the best tyres with a completely healthy car.  They're in cars that they have to baby and on old tyres.  He's going to have DRS for 8 of those laps, at least one application of comes after a corner where you can gain huge amounts by using the kerbs.

There is absolutely no reason to make that move then and the reason he did is immaturity.

The outcome itself is not on Albon, but he should not have put himself in that position, at that time.  If this had been a healthy merc and Red Bull for the lead, on the last lap, it'd be a very different situation.