Formula One - 2020

54 minutes ago, ryodi said:

I think he’ll want at least one year in the new cars before he retires. It’s only free practice, maybe Red Bull are sandbagging.

And if they aren't Horner will be blaming Honda before the race is over

He might want to but with Honda being the only manufactuerer will to supply Red Bull with engines he'll have to restrain himself. The car also looks very twitchy which is nothing to do with the engine. 

Just watched the YouTube highlights of free practice.

What's with the Racing Point having Mickey Mouse ears?

IMG_20200703_205438.jpg.353fc4ebd7af20e14251fc5dc4f3f7fb.jpg

And as mentioned already, phwoar!

IMG_20200703_210409.jpg.0408317ba87259ea465cf34535859305.jpg

7 hours ago, ryodi said:

I think he’ll want at least one year in the new cars before he retires. It’s only free practice, maybe Red Bull are sandbagging.

It's possible but their issues seem to be aero stability more than anything.

Which will be worrying for them because they were very, very quick here last year.

If Red Bull have fucked up their aero and Ferrari already admitting they fucked up then we might as well all fuck off until February 2022.

On 01/07/2020 at 20:18, Freeman said:

Yes, this.  i used to listen on the erm, BBC sports radio station (5 Live posts extra or something?) for a while too, but can't remember who did it.

Pretty sure Murray Walker used to manage from a BBC studio in London, i'm sure they'll manage :hat:

"I can't quite see from my position in the commentary booth"

Yep, that's because it's in a different country ;)

I’m remembering the tales of James Hunt commentating on a race from his prime viewing position, lying on the floor of the commentary booth :D

• Upvote 1

Red Bull protest against DAS has been thrown out. Pretty sure Horner and co knew it would be and just wanted clarification to make sure their own interpretation of the system was legal.

2 hours ago, Agent L said:

Just watched the YouTube highlights of free practice.

What's with the Racing Point having Mickey Mouse ears?

IMG_20200703_205438.jpg.353fc4ebd7af20e14251fc5dc4f3f7fb.jpg

They’re infra red cameras pointing at the tyres

• Upvote 3
17 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

Red Bull protest against DAS has been thrown out. Pretty sure Horner and co knew it would be and just wanted clarification to make sure their own interpretation of the system was legal.

Let me congratulate Hamilton on equalling Schumachers 7 world championships.

• Upvote 1

To the people genuinely excited about the return of F1, what is it about this season that's got you excited?

At the front it looks to be even less competitive than previous years. Thank god for Formula 1.5

In fact if Mercedes just wanted to take a year off that might make for the best F1 season in a long time.

11 hours ago, kiroquai said:

Yeah they're pretty much obliged to do it but the fact it's already outlawed for next year tells you pretty much by definition it's probably legal this year because if it wasn't they wouldn't need to change the rules.

3 hours ago, SweatyTravolta said:

To the people genuinely excited about the return of F1, what is it about this season that's got you excited?

At the front it looks to be even less competitive than previous years. Thank god for Formula 1.5

In fact if Mercedes just wanted to take a year off that might make for the best F1 season in a long time.

Yeah, I'm just happy to see F1 cars running round, because I didn't watch their esports since it was trash.

I don't think I'd care if Indycar and IMSA stayed esports, those races were great, as has the W Series been.

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Mostly it's the reason that we're going to have another 2 shit seasons.

To be honest, I think it does more than has been uncovered. Mercedes have been way too casual about it. 

It could be almost entirely a bluff.  Old school aerodynamicist Frank Dernie always said, if you want to sneak something semi dodgy into a car, do it at the same time as you something massively visible on the car.  Everyone will protest the visible thing, or copy it and stop looking properly.

"We had this talk in the GPDA,” explained Grosjean. “Some were in favour, others were against. I do think it's unacceptable that Lewis Hamilton earns more than 40 million while some drivers earn €150,000 a year for the same job.

This might be beyond this thread but this is a fundamental misunderstanding that pollutes equality discussions everywhere.

Lewis Hamilton, as much as I'm probably the least a fan of him of anyone who posts in this thread, does not, in any meaningful way, do the same job as Romain Grosjean.

• Upvote 1

Is that figure his team salary or does it include sponsors and shit? They would be willing to give him more than they would Grosjean too.

That’s sport though isn’t it, you salary is dependent on your achievements and wha you bring to the team. If they did bring in a salary cap I’m sure the difference would be made up by personal sponsors. F1 is like the NFL in that there’s nowhere else the best drivers can go for better pay and a similar level of prestige so if teams did offer lower wages there’s not a lot the drivers could do about it.

• Mr Tony changed the title to Formula One - 2020