Formula One - 2020

3 hours ago, dino_jr said:

How is Monaco a good idea this year?

Well, about 2/3 of the drivers already live there... just ship the cars in fully fuelled and rope the local garages in for the pit stops.

It simply won't happen. IMO no city circuits will happen this year. Maybe we'll get some of the purpose built venues like Suzuka, but anything that is a street circuit or near a city like Montreal will get the can methinks.

At least they are planning.  Great to see Portugal back, and Imola as well i think.  Sure it wasn't great, but I'd rather Imola than 2x Silverstone, or most of the current tracks...

Is "R3 TBC" a placeholder for Germany, which is conspicuous by its absence, or did I miss Germany expiring and not being renewed?

I'd like  another Mugello too, but without the idiots at the back driving into a slow group of cars this time, I guess that might be the fall back for R3 too given it's proximity to Imola.

Also a shame we won't return to the Bahrain outer loop, F1 wasn't that amazing but the F2 races there really were!

8 hours ago, ryodi said:

I’d rather have Turkey instead of Imola. It feels like a waste for them to relay the track for only one race.

Also forgot to say, this is the real loss for 2021.  Turkey is a wonderful track.

5 hours ago, Freeman said:

Is "R3 TBC" a placeholder for Germany, which is conspicuous by its absence, or did I miss Germany expiring and not being renewed?

You did, it expired after 2019, the Nurburgring race last year wasn't called the German GP and was a COVID replacement like Imola.

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

You did, it expired after 2019, the Nurburgring race last year wasn't called the German GP and was a COVID replacement like Imola.

Ah yes the Eifel GP at the ring F1.

50 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

Weird that the most dominant company in the history of F1 doesn't care about having a race in its home country.

I thought there was an Italian gp?

Spoiler

Yeah, I went there, for the lolz

2 hours ago, GwiDan said:

Weird that the most dominant company in the history of F1 doesn't care about having a race in its home country.

Every other car in Germany seemingly (that I see when I go there) is a Merc. They probably think they need to do little at home since they are already doing so well. Races in their key developing markets are I would think of more use to them from a marketing perspective.

It absolutely was deliberate. There is a contractual obligation to give a date to all races that have a contract, even if it is clear that they won't be able to host the race. So knowing that they would almost certainly not be able to race at several venues, they needed to pad out the season knowing that the reality would be less packed.

In other news, here's a much better view of the Alpine livery than the one i posted last week

image.thumb.png.7ab755c2d6919ebba3358265734e69b3.png

image.thumb.png.65109740f9baa47fc69d3185d19cf257.png

Just a testing livery to get them some kick off press coverage. Blue will come for the real car launch and final livery I would expect.

For reference this what Red Bull did as their kick off just after purchasing Jaguar:

f1-barcelona-november-testing-2004-vitan

:blink:

Talk about zero effort...

Are we starting to wonder if Hamilton might not actually line up for Mercedes this year.

It's 2 weeks since he stopped being a Mercedes employee, he's a free agent right now and still no agreement.

I did wonder but... Why would you give up an almost guaranteed 8th championship?

If you really want to quit and do something else wait 1 more year. Leave with every prize, record and accolade that counts. Never look back.

Or leave with 7 and that little voice in the back of your head keeps reminding you how easily you could have had the record with 8.