Formula One - 2020

1 hour ago, fragglerock said:

I would vote for all morning races! Getting up at 6am is a bit extreme, but 10am starts would be great.

The 10 minutes past the hour thing I don't care about...

Yes, I love the morning races. You're right, 6am can be difficult, particularly if it is a dull race but 7am onwards is always doable. 

Morning and evening races are my favourite. The 1pm/2pm European races in the middle of summer just seem like they get in the way of a nice Sunday. 

I honestly also wouldn't mind a couple of races taking place in the mid week evenings, particularly if we're packing ever more races in which effectively becomes blocking out every Sunday during the season if you want to watch live. 

3 hours ago, JPR said:

I never liked the 2pm start so happy to see a return to 1pm. Lunch, race then rest of the afternoon free, instead of the race sort of being in the middle of the afternoon.

Also 2:30 is peak nap time

55 minutes ago, minstrels said:

My wife got me a few pieces of wall art for Christmas, just finished getting them up on the wall.

PXL_20210106_155850658.thumb.jpg.f7e60dc284582fa843f8b027f0127b8f.jpg

The plan is now to fill this wall with other tracks so I've just ordered Suzuka as well.

Number 2

iwi-mini-uzi-1-1-550x550w.jpg.5fd0d2dcadd76643e4ccebd2f6ddae3f.jpg

Personally I’d prefer they be moved forward or back at least four or five hours. Anything early afternoon pretty much rules out being able to have any sort of day out as well as watching the race.

22 hours ago, McCoy said:

Not sure I get the rationale on the ten minutes. Personally when I wasn't watching the build up, it was always quite nice to turn the TV on at the hour mark and get a bit of a introduction to the race. A change I think that worked quite well. 

It is strange to change it back.  When they introduced it, they said it was because US channels basically tuned in on the hour, and therefore often missed the start of the race as the commentators did their intros / sponsor messages, and that they also missed the national anthem.  Of course they mow also get the same repeated End Racism message, so perhaps they've linked that to people tuning out...?

20 hours ago, fragglerock said:

I would vote for all morning races! Getting up at 6am is a bit extreme, but 10am starts would be great.

The 10 minutes past the hour thing I don't care about...

6am is good, even 7am.  A time that allows me to not lose a whole day is good.  I don't like afternoon races, but I guess 1 is mildly better than 2, 12 would be better still...

Some of the races this year have been full day events. I’d pop the pre shown on at 11 ish while doing housework and the after-show still going on past 5/6pm.

Normally I would agree with a lot of what’s already been said, I think 12 would be the perfect start time for me, enough time for a lie in before and enough for some productive activity afterwards, get out and do something. 

However.. this year is probably going to be eerily similar to last so I’m quite happy with the start and end times and it filling another day of being stuck in the house.

On 06/01/2021 at 16:42, minstrels said:

My wife got me a few pieces of wall art for Christmas, just finished getting them up on the wall.

PXL_20210106_155850658.thumb.jpg.f7e60dc284582fa843f8b027f0127b8f.jpg

The plan is now to fill this wall with other tracks so I've just ordered Suzuka as well.

Oh nice! Where are they from? 

Worked out that after next season kicks off there’ll then be six drivers who have raced against both Michael Schumacher and his son. Michael was 30 when Mick was born, and the latter is entering the sport at 21, so it’s not even down to a young parent and the kid getting a drive when barely out of nappies.

Yeah it's only 8 years.

There will be 4 who raced against Michael, Mick AND Ralf.  Although weirdly only 2 who raced against Michael and Ralf in the same race.

4 hours ago, MrPogo said:

Worked out that after next season kicks off there’ll then be six drivers who have raced against both Michael Schumacher and his son. Michael was 30 when Mick was born, and the latter is entering the sport at 21, so it’s not even down to a young parent and the kid getting a drive when barely out of nappies.

Without digging around, I've been trying to think who they are. Hamilton, Raikkonen, Alonso, Vettel, Ricciardo, Perez?

Wev's right.

Bottas debuted in 2013 and so missed Michael just.

As we narrow it down, Hamilton, Raikkonen, Alonso and Vettel raced Michael, Ralf and Mick.

Because 2006 was the last season both Michael and Ralf raced together but Ralf did 2007 and Michael 2010-2012, Hamilton and Vettel raced both but not together, having both made their debuts in 2007.

Kimi and Alonso were 2001, Danny Ric and Perez 2011.

Weird we've got 3 pairs of debut years too.

Yeah, with HRT, back when Red Bull had too many junior drivers and didn't have to make do with drivers they've already sacked once (and in one case twice),  guy who is really a Honda Jr and a guy who joined the Red Bull jr program after being in F1 for a decade.

That's got me thinking about people who raced 2 generations in F1 and only one more leaps to mind.

Riccardo Patrese raced both Emerson and Christian Fittipaldi.

EDIT: Also Mario and Michael Andretti now I think about it.

Ah yeah, good shout there! Good ol' Michael. Didn't show quite how talented he really was during his F1 stint.

Talking of 1993, amazing to think of how much of the sport's winning history is captured in this one battle during the 1993 South African Grand Prix: 14 World Championships, 183 race wins and 166 pole positions.

ef0ff908de6e012e520cadc934a67730.jpg

41 minutes ago, Dudley said:

That's got me thinking about people who raced 2 generations in F1 and only one more leaps to mind.

Riccardo Patrese raced both Emerson and Christian Fittipaldi.

EDIT: Also Mario and Michael Andretti now I think about it.

Barrichello raced against 2 generations of Magnussons I think.

Edit, no he didn't. He retired in 2011. I don't think anyone who raced Jan also raced Kevin.

On 07/01/2021 at 11:38, LowCostMonkey said:

Looks like Cyrill Abiteboul might be out (or moving to a different role at least) at Renault.

Edit: In other Alpine news, here's a sneak look at their livery...

source: https://thejudge13.com/f1/formula1/breaking-leaked-imagery-of-renault-alpine-f1-livery/ 

image.png

Confirmation of Abiteboul's exit : https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/154524/renault-boss-abiteboul-to-leave-team