Formula One - 2020

49 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

I kinda wish Lewis hadn’t driven this weekend. He might not be Covid positive anymore but he’s still obviously feeling the after-effects. 

I guess he might have done four or five years ago when Schumacher’s records still looked like an impossible target, but now he’s no doubt heavily focussed on setting the all time benchmark as high as possible .

Ted just wrapped the notebook so it’s all over. FUUUUUU! 

Not a bad little season that. No fighting up front but loads in the midfield. Fair play to everyone involved in getting it done. I’ve been so happy to have the races as a distraction from everything else going on in the world. I bloody love this sport. :wub:

Now TV pass cancelled because the F1 season is done. It was an enjoyable season overall with lots of excitement during the races even if the title was a forgone conclusion before the season even started. It's a shame we'll probably never see such an exciting mix of tracks again and will return to the dullness of Monaco and Paul Ricard next season. 

3 hours ago, GwiDan said:

Apparently Vettel drove the whole race with a sheet of lyrics to a song he wrote thanking the team in Italian inside his glove, which he then sang on team radio after the race. 

To add to this, he wrote a message on the helmet he gave Leclerc:

To Charles, you are the most talented driver I came across in 15 years of F1. Don't waste it.  Whatever you do to be happy and smile. Thanks for everything!

6 hours ago, jonathanhoey said:

The Dutch national anthem is, functionally, O Little Town Of Bethlehem.

:lol: what?!

Damn you, now I can't unhear it. Thanks for spoiling our national anthem for me, stillabadbunny! :quote:

;)

I really hope Vettel finds his form next season and that the current crop.of drivers show Alonso up. The Aston Martin, McLaren, Renault, Ferrari fight could be spicey next year, especially if Alpha Tauri continue to improve and join in

10 hours ago, kiroquai said:

Congrats to our Fantasy winner! I made some awful decisions mid-season that even a radical (and well-timed) switch of drivers couldn’t quite rescue. Still, I feel I looked better finishing second in the championship that Mr. Bottas did!

I retained the title. :omg:

I got a little nervous towards the end thanks to Hamilton and constantly questioning Stroll. You definitely kept me more honest than Bottas did Hamilton.

You know what I like about Russel the best? He is going to be reliably unfortunate all his career. 

He is the new Nigel Mansell we've been waiting for. A driver that can be leading by a country mile, only to have a tire let him down at just the wrong point of the race. He can be on for a hatful of points for a struggling back marker team, and a split second lapse of concentration and he's in the wall. 

He can throw a fantastic qualifying lap on Saturday into a desperate rally through the turn 4 gravel trap on Sunday 

Yet, he's still smiling, still down to earth and still so full of promise. No doubt he'll win a championship or two,  but only after he's lost half a dozen more. 

He is the Nigel we have all been waiting for and this year he has come of age. What a time to be alive. 

I think I mentioned it before, but Bottas this season was just nowhere really. 2 wins compared to 11 to Hamilton, who also sat a race out. 

In a car like Mercedes had this year, a paltry 2 wins is really pretty pathetic. He's been with Mercedes for what, 4 years, and has 9 wins. 9 wins. Hamilton won more races in a shortened 2020 season than Bottas has ever managed. Put in perspective, Vertseppen has 10 wins and has never been in title contention. 

He's really going to need to step it up next year because frankly, I think he's blocking that seat from someone who could give us a bit more excitement. And saying fuck you on one of his two wins this year to all his critics is just embarrassing looking at the figures. 

He is but some of his wins are lost due to bad luck or team orders. Gifting Hamilton the win in Russia in 2018, the last lap puncture in Baku and he would have won easily in Monza if he didn’t have some of Vettel’s front wing end plate jammed in his car.

He does need to step up in 2021 but unless Russell has a shocker next year he’ll be in the Mercedes in 2022 and the only way Bottas will still be there is if Hamilton retires.