Formula One - 2020

Bit of a lapsed fan here, I think I managed to follow one season under Liberty Media, and then the effort of finding a way to watch the races in Japan became greater than my desire to see them.

Anyway I gather there was some controversy in the sport around BLM in the aftermath of the George Floyd protests (and drivers kneeling or otherwise) and I saw some comments that most of the Motorsport establishment were making themselves look a bit racist.

Can anyone summarize the situation for me? At the moment I’ve got a bit of a negative opinion about a lot of people I used to admire/respect and I’m not sure if that’s justified or just internet gossip at play.

Long story short, Lewis is the greatest of all time and lots of people don't like him because he's black, but can't openly say so.

He's decided that instead of just being an entitled millionaire, he's going to use his profile to try and draw attention to inequality in general, and racism in particular. Hence he's pretty much single-handedly forced F1 to add the "End Racism" and "We Race As One" graphics you see on the cars, uniforms, paddock buildings and so on.

He's also managed to get them to include an 'anti-racism gesture' where the drivers take a knee on the grid before each race.

Except six of them won't. 

Max and Leclerc are entitled little shits who probably aren't actively racist, but just don't care about racism because they're rich white boys so it doesn't affect them.

Kvyat may or may not be a bigot, I don't know, but he would probably get kneecapped by his bosses back in Russia if he were seen supporting human rights, so presumably that's why he won't do it (edit: apparently he and his family got out of Russia years ago and moved to Italy so I might be wide of the mark on this one - but he still refuses to do even this trivially easy gesture against racism, so fuck him anyway).

Sainz has family connections to far-right extremist politicians back in Spain and has made openly racist remarks on camera while doing sponsor promo for F1 so he's pretty much just a big racist.

I don't actually know why Giovinazzi won't kneel. It might be as simple as just because Kimi doesn't.

Kimi's a Nazi. Seriously, his merchandise line has Nazi emblems on it and is produced in collaboration with West Coast Customs, whose owner is a blatant and unrepentant neo-Nazi.

That's the drivers anyway. I don't know about the wider situation in the organisation as a whole, or the motorsport establishment. 

4 hours ago, kiroquai said:

He already is, really - thing is, he's not slow. Not by any means. He's got a fair turn of speed on him and on occasion he's pulled off some pretty superb overtaking manoeuvres. He's not got that 'it' factor that Leclerc, Russell and Norris obviously had when they took an express ticket through Formula 2, but he's not some scrubber running along at the back way out of his depth like Guilherme Samaia or Sean Gelael.

But, he does things like this:

And, worse, shit like this:

Stuff like that, even if you completely disregard his rather unsavoury off-track behaviour, should be a huge red flag for Haas and F1 as a whole.  

No worse than anything Schumacher senior did on multiple occasions, Vettel has done worse and Verstappen did it most of his first year in F1 - the guy is a cock there is no doubt but on track he seems to get pulled up more than others - Schumacher trying to put Barrichello into the wall was far worse than the first vid for example.

F1 is a bit of a cluterfuck of cocks. Vettel is often referred to as "a nice guy" and yet deliberately drove into Hamilton under a SC, something other drivers copped bans for in lower formulas.

I don't think anything will change until they start doling out race bans, but that would also cause uproar as it'd effect financials.

I have a bit of an up and down relationship with F1. It seems to be 45% business, 45% politics and 10% sport. Quite often that 10% isn't worth the bullshit of the other 90.

But other times I LOVE all the other drama that comes with it.

Mercedes will have a new livery for this weekend according to Toto Wolff

''We have a very special surprise for our team members in Abu Dhabi this weekend. Saturday and Sunday we will be driving in a slightly different colour scheme with everyone's name on the car to honour the enormous commitment and determination of everyone in Brixworth and Brackley. Everyone has worked hard this year to raise the bar in this enormously intense season and we hope that this gesture will really show the appreciation we have for everyone involved," Wolff says in Mercedes' statement.

It's Thursday afternoon. I've not heard of Lewis leaving Bahrain yet.

If he hasn't, it's too late for him to drive, they won't get the test done and while the 48hrs might be waived he's still going to have to test negative in Abu Dhabi to get his superlicence back.

24 minutes ago, Dudley said:

It's Thursday afternoon. I've not heard of Lewis leaving Bahrain yet.

[B]If he hasn't, it's too late for him to drive[/b], they won't get the test done and while the 48hrs might be waived he's still going to have to test negative in Abu Dhabi to get his superlicence back.

Proof it's just the car! Can't even get from Bahrain to Abu Dhabi in 48 hours without his Mercedes F1 car, not the GOAT

On 09/12/2020 at 15:49, jonathanhoey said:

Max and Leclerc are entitled little shits who probably aren't actively racist, but just don't care about racism because they're rich white boys so it doesn't affect them.

Just to add to this. Leclerc on the subject of kneeling; "I believe that what matters are facts and behaviours in our daily life rather than formal gestures that could be seen as controversial in some countries." and I think Max tweeted/instagrammed/whatevered something similar. More controversially, when Leclerc was pressed on this again, he said:

"I don't want to kneel because a lot of the protests that take place all over the world are often violent [...] I don't accept any form of violence. I also don't like politicians starting to use these protests for their own ends."

Which is, for me, really very disappointing. It's a very difficult subject in that obviously people should be free to tackle it in the way that they choose. However, what he's essentially saying is that he doesn't agree with the way that oppressed people are choosing to protest their injustice, whilst also having never been a victim or experienced oppression himself. Obviously none of us want to see violence, but can you be sure you would react differently if it happened to you? Surely as a white person you are treading very shaky ground by saying, "I don't accept the way you're handling being oppressed".

Sainz has family connections to far-right extremist politicians back in Spain and has made openly racist remarks on camera while doing sponsor promo for F1 so he's pretty much just a big racist.

I think I've read something about Sainz's far right connections in this thread before, but can anyone elaborate further on this? You'd think if it were true it would be common knowledge. When did he make a racist remark on camera?

Kimi's a Nazi. Seriously, his merchandise line has Nazi emblems on it and is produced in collaboration with West Coast Customs, whose owner is a blatant and unrepentant neo-Nazi.

Whaaaat? What merch of Kimi's has Nazi emblems on it?!

22 hours ago, Halkyon said:

F1 is a bit of a cluterfuck of cocks. Vettel is often referred to as "a nice guy" and yet deliberately drove into Hamilton under a SC, something other drivers copped bans for in lower formulas.

I don't think anything will change until they start doling out race bans, but that would also cause uproar as it'd effect financials.

The thing is, you have to have a competitive arsehole streak to get even close to the sport, and to get to the top, you need to believe, more than anything, that you're the best there is. Not being an entitled prick pretty much excludes you. There's no room for healthy self-doubt. Some talk a good game and are good company away from the car, and some draw the line closer to the edge than others but the lot of them would sign a deal with the devil if it meant a second a lap.

Being a reputed nice guy in the F1 paddock is really more about how you treat your team mechanics and deal with the media rather than on-track stuff.

1 hour ago, RFT said:

The thing is, you have to have a competitive arsehole streak to get even close to the sport

I've seen this argument crop up several times and think it's worth pushing back on a little.

I tend to think this is the culture of the sport a choice to do nothing and perpetuate it is being made, over and over. Perhaps it is a long hangover from when there was a decent chance of death, so you had to be that competitive and/or blinkered enough to enter at all.

These days I don't see why being a cunt and aligning one's behaviours with that kind of toxicity is a requirement, it could easily be disincentivised and is... to some extent. Mazepin is getting told off, if he were thrown out then a new standard would be set.

Awesome. I know there's going to be a lot of disappointing Russell fans who were hoping to see him try to make up for Sakhir but I'm very happy to see the champion back in the fastest F1 car ever for the last race. Yas Marina is terrible anyway but at least we should see Hamilton doing donuts on the pit straight at the end of the race. 

Weirdly disappointed Lewis is back. I'm a big fan of his and always have been but seeing George in the Merc last week got me more excited about a grand prix than I have been in ages. Proper shouting at the tv celebrating as he took the lead into the first corner.

Oh well, there'll be plenty more of that in future to look forward to.

3 hours ago, ryodi said:

Awesome. I know there's going to be a lot of disappointing Russell fans who were hoping to see him try to make up for Sakhir but I'm very happy to see the champion back in the fastest F1 car ever for the last race. Yas Marina is terrible anyway but at least we should see Hamilton doing donuts on the pit straight at the end of the race. 

I don’t think it’s disappointment cos they’re fans. It’ll be disappointment because it means the race will be boring unless there’s an incident. 

If I were Lewis, I’d take notice of how boring I made races for some people, and vow to not end my career on any such thing. 
I would love it if he secured his final record, and then went to a different car and smashed the hell out of it. Proved it wasn’t just the car. It would be so much more exciting and I’d personally want to bring that. 

I know it won’t happen because I have idealistic hopes for the sport. But he can technically do what he likes. I want him to do something cool. 

Sakhir was boring until Mercedes screwed up the pitstop. Russell jumped Bottas at the start, gapped him and was on course to win comfortably until the pitstop went wrong. If he'd been in the car this weekend and got the lead the same thing would happen again barring one of the random events that keep happening this season. It's only because Russell was in the car the race was interesting because as soon as Max crashed out it was over as contest.

I'm sure Lewis doesn't care about how boring the races are and he'd be crazy to walk away from the best car when he's nailed on to win the title next season. It's ridiculous to say he needs to prove it in another car, he paid his dues at McLaren and has earned the best car on the grid. Going back to a shitbox made Alonso more likeable and that's about it. 

30 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

I don’t think it’s disappointment cos they’re fans. It’ll be disappointment because it means the race will be boring unless there’s an incident. 

If I were Lewis, I’d take notice of how boring I made races for some people, and vow to not end my career on any such thing. 
I would love it if he secured his final record, and then went to a different car and smashed the hell out of it. Proved it wasn’t just the car. It would be so much more exciting and I’d personally want to bring that. 

I know it won’t happen because I have idealistic hopes for the sport. But he can technically do what he likes. I want him to do something cool. 

Lewis has already done that, he went from McLaren who were top tier to a very average Mercedes team....