Formula One - 2020

Wow, amazing! George Russel at Mercedes, well deserved. :D

21 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

Jack Aitken in at Williams too! His junior career has kinda stalled out a bit over the past few years so it'll be good to see how he gets on.

5 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

Mick Schumacher confirmed at Haas for 2021, too.

Jesus, all kinds of announcements now. :omg:

16 hours ago, LowCostMonkey said:

I think it will potentially be a poison chalice for whoever takes it. Russell should stay at Williams certainly for this race. It's Williams best chance for points all season this race (with it being a power track).

Look at Monza's qualifying, they may have a Mercedes but the Williams aero has been dogshit for a while now, this could well be one of their harder races.

1 hour ago, kiroquai said:

Jack Aitken in at Williams too! His junior career has kinda stalled out a bit over the past few years so it'll be good to see how he gets on.

Aitkin has something of a freebie here, under normal circumstances after this year he wouldn't qualify for a licence when his 2017 F3 season drops out.  But not only have they extended the window plus this locks him in. He's also done a free practice this year, which is pretty much the most testing of anyone.

Lucky year.  He'll be off the back of the field though.

2 hours ago, LowCostMonkey said:

I really worry this is going to harm Russell's career more than help it. 

Edit: To be clear, I don't mean because he doesn't have the talent (he has bags and bags of it). But it takes a long time to fully get to grips with a new team and car. I hope I'm wrong though.

Shouldn't harm it. Mercedes will be at pains to point out that they don't expect him to be on a par with Valteri, so if he isn't, it's to be expected and if he is, it's a big win. 

13 minutes ago, Blue said:

Shouldn't harm it. Mercedes will be at pains to point out that they don't expect him to be on a par with Valteri, so if he isn't, it's too be expected and if he is, it's a big win. 

Mercedes will know that. Millions of fans won't. Although I suppose it's only Mercedes that really matters. 

21 minutes ago, fragglerock said:

Max Verstappen is a massive twat

Despite being Dutch, I'm not a fan of him when it comes to his off-track antics. And contrary to many of my fellow Dutchies, I certainly don't see him as the second coming of Formula 1 Christ. He's really good (as they all are), but not the reason why I watch F1 (I love motorsports in general, many people here only started to show 'interest' in F1 when he joined). That's my stance on him anyway.

But I kinda see where he is coming from. You're a racing driver. It's dangerous and you knew it when you stepped in well aware that there's a higher risk of dying from doing it. Much like being a soldier or a parachutist. And I think it was partially said in jest because the reporter's question made little sense (were there drivers refusing to race at all?), and on the verge of baiting really. But I agree he could have been a bit more adult about it.

I keep saying it but someone really needs to give Max some proper media training. I'm not one for stifling someones personality, christ I don't want the grid to be full of Coulthards, but the guy just doesn't know how to speak to the press, this weekend we've had the comments regarding sacking a driver if they refused to race and then his comments regarding Albon's podium. It feels like there's a toxic atmosphere around the guy, possibly more so than there was around Alonso and if he weren't Helmut Marko's golden child, he'd be burning bridges left right and centre.

3 hours ago, LowCostMonkey said:

I really worry this is going to harm Russell's career more than help it. 

Edit: To be clear, I don't mean because he doesn't have the talent (he has bags and bags of it). But it takes a long time to fully get to grips with a new team and car. I hope I'm wrong though.

1 hour ago, LowCostMonkey said:

Mercedes will know that. Millions of fans won't. Although I suppose it's only Mercedes that really matters. 

Yeah, this is the point.  If he's in the postcode of Bottas he's done well.

The whole "Mr Saturday" thing won't hurt him, neither will Bottas' tendency to drop early in races.

1 hour ago, wev said:

... christ I don't want the grid to be full of Coulthards

See, you say that, but... imagine an entire field of 20 drivers simultaneously trying to slow down on the pit straight to let their team mate through whilst also simultaneously declaring it is their year! Or watching in dumbstruck amazement as each and every one of them locks up going into the pits and smashes into the wall. A grid full of Coulthards would be the gift that just keeps on giving.