Formula One - 2020

The reason why I don't like Hamilton has nothing to do with Hamilton himself and also I don't mind him, respect his activism and think he's an amazing driver.

It's just unfortunate that he's the figurehead for perhaps the most boring period F1 has gone though thanks to Mercedes dominance and their unwillingness to put a driver in that could actually compete with Hamilton, preferring a steady number two instead.

Just now, beenabadbunny said:

I feel like most of the time the TV director doesn't even bother to show Hamilton at all. They focus on what's going on in the rest of the field.

For sure - without this the coverage would have been achingly dull. I'm sure in the Schu years there were plenty of battles we just didn't see.

We also get the laugh at Ferrari and wonder and new excuses Red Bull will come up with for failing to give Max a competitive car. Whereas in the Schumacher years it was him miles out in front with not much happening behind him until Alonso showed up.

4 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Oh yeah, F1.5 has been fantastic but we've all known who's going to be world champion before the season has started for so long now. I just want some spice at the top.

When Seb got third that was the first time I'd shouted at the telly for a while. You really do need the battles for the win not just 1.5. 

The problem is Bottas. I shouted at the TV plenty when Ham was battling Rosberg. Even if Bottas is leading or wins I'm not bothered because I know he's not a credible championship threat.

3 minutes ago, mexos said:

For sure - without this the coverage would have been achingly dull. I'm sure in the Schu years there were plenty of battles we just didn't see.

Expanding the points to the top 10 has helped as there is more to play for down the field. 

Frankly, I'd be up for expanding it even further but definitely better than the days of points for 1-6. 

17 minutes ago, mexos said:

I'd argue there the is far more racing now up and down the field than there ever was in the Schu years. That was the dullest imo.

There is this weird persistent myth Schumacher had dominant cars,  That happened twice in his career, 2002 and 2004.

5 minutes ago, Dudley said:

There is this weird persistent myth Schumacher had dominant cars,  That happened twice in his career, 2002 and 2004.

If I were Layton I'd say something like that's because it's a myth they've told themselves to convince themselves that they don't just hate him because he's a dirty kraut, two world wars and all that.

I'm not sure what it is, probably in all honesty just faulty memory.

He can win another 8 championships in this situation if he likes but Hamilton will always be 1 minor level below the absolute top when he's never REALLY made anything when he's had cars that weren't good.  Years like 2011 just tarnish the record a little, I don't think he's ever really had a season where he's massively outperformed a car when you can point to several for Senna and Schumacher.  There's also the fact he's been beaten or matched by teammates pretty often.  I'm not sure Schumacher or Senna ever lost to a teammate over a season, Hamilton has twice.

Of course, part of the skill is getting yourself into one of those cars that doesn't need those performances and full credit for that and absolutely there are a lot of times he's absolutely turned it on in individual races when he needs to.  But there's also more times than you'd like he's asleep for entire races.

He's a great, absolutely but it's just that kind of thing that puts him slightly behind whatever your preferred version of the GOAT label is.

It all comes to how you judge them. I put Hamilton above Schumacher and Senna because he’s fast but clean, he’s never purposely crashed a rival off the track.

He doesn’t have the endless testing Schumacher had so while he might have had a bad car he could still do endless laps at Fiorano to improve it on tyres specifically designed for his car. Rosberg is better than any teammate Schumacher had and beat him on his return and let’s face it Schumachers teammates were never allowed to race him anyway at Ferrari or Benetton. Hamilton hasn’t been perfect all the time, 2011 was a bad year and I personally think he outperformed the car in 2009 when the McLaren wasn’t good at all.

Its hard to compare the eras. He obviously the best of his generation but F1 is a lot different the Senna and Schumacher eras for a lot of reasons.

2 minutes ago, ryodi said:

It all comes to how you judge them. I put Hamilton above Schumacher and Senna because he’s fast but clean, he’s never purposely crashed a rival off the track.

He doesn’t have the endless testing Schumacher had so while he might have had a bad car he could still do endless laps at Fiorano to improve it on tyres specifically designed for his car. Rosberg is better than any teammate Schumacher had and beat him on his return and let’s face it Schumachers teammates were never allowed to race him anyway at Ferrari or Benetton. Hamilton hasn’t been perfect all the time, 2011 was a bad year and I personally think he outperformed the car in 2009 when the McLaren wasn’t good at all.

Its hard to compare the eras. He obviously the best of his generation but F1 is a lot different the Senna and Schumacher eras for a lot of reasons.

Unfortunately, this does not fit the narrative that people who don't like Hamilton have built in their heads.

1 hour ago, mexos said:

When Seb got third that was the first time I'd shouted at the telly for a while. You really do need the battles for the win not just 1.5. 

The problem is Bottas. I shouted at the TV plenty when Ham was battling Rosberg. Even if Bottas is leading or wins I'm not bothered because I know he's not a credible championship threat.

Yeah, it's amazing to think that people used to make fun of Rosberg but he took a championship off of the best. That season was a good one because it could still have been decided on the final day, making the race an event instead of a formality. You also had a young Max getting in there and causing chaos along the way; of course that's before everyone found out that Max is an unapologetic bell end. 

The only stat that you can really question is his race wins, because of the number of races per season and just how reliable the cars are now, but you could apply that to each and every generation of drivers. 

To not consider him in the same bracket as Schumacher, Senna, even Prost, is just ridiculous, he's won in everything he's driven since arriving in F1 and in his first season finished joint second with his team mate who happened to be the reigning world champion at the time.

2 hours ago, kiroquai said:

You folks can debate your Hamiltons, Schumachers and Sennas... I’ll just keep watching this gif of Gilles Villeneuve actively fighting against the laws of physics and smiling to myself :)

37B4BA1C-DFF2-4E2D-99CD-EE95E40FE69D.gif.ee09dba660ee7d53fa2cdafb48572609.gif

That car was a bit of a slag though...

21 hours ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Yeah, it's amazing to think that people used to make fun of Rosberg but he took a championship off of the best. 

It's very easy to make fun of him. He's a living breathing Euro version of Alan Partridge. He was also fast enough to beat Hamilton on his day, ruthless when he needed to be and a cheater. 

Alex Jaques is replacing Ben Edwards as lead commentator on C4.

He man is the most irritating commentator I’ve ever listened to. He is a pastiche of 1980s stereotypes of people into motorsport with a volume switch that changes to random levels 2 or 3 times per sentence. Only Alex Brundle comes close in irritation level (with his ran........Dom....pauses between words I.......n sentences).

Sorry, I shouldn’t sit on the fence like this and should tell you how I really feel.