Formula One - 2020

“End racism” isn’t really (although it’s calling for generalised social and political changes), “black lives matter” is skirting a bit closer as there’s also a loosely organised movement attached (which I guess is why F1 aren’t using the phrase), but the “arrest the cops...” on Lewis’ t-shirt is specifically criticising/trying to influence a particular case in the US justice system and so undeniably political in nature.

Interesting bit of insight from Ted's Notebook that I hadn't noticed during the race.

Russell got nobbled on the last restart because he HADN'T been lapped.

The lapped cars were released to unlap themselves, so they had a lap's worth of heat in their tyres before the restart, so more grip off the line.

Not much you can do about it - it's not actually unfair, it's just the roll of the dice. But once again I was really disappointed for George.

7 hours ago, NexivRed said:

The formula 1 thread feels safe. Not many people here. 

If it's not safe in here something is very wrong...

Lewis is starting to push the boundaries of what F1 and Merc (I think) will be comfortable with. Pushing the boundaries is always going to end up with some discomfort for someone. If anyone can do it, it is him. He realises this. About to be a 7 time word champion. His voice carries a lot of weight. Time to use it.

Merc will never say anything publicly but I bet in the background they ask him to dial it back a bit. I do wonder if that was approved by Merc and F1. My guess looking at Toto's face during the podium, 100% not.

12 hours ago, wev said:

How many other circuits are in Italy that can run an F1 race? Monza, Imola, Mugello, any others? Can we just keep racing in one country?

San Marino? Or is that the location of one of those 3?

I guess San Marino isn't actually Italy or something?

12 hours ago, wev said:

How many other circuits are in Italy that can run an F1 race? Monza, Imola, Mugello, any others? Can we just keep racing in one country?

This could be quite a fun Italian race!

fiat_factory_18.jpg

The race at Imola was usually named the 'San Marino' GP even though it's 100km away from the actual country of San Marino, just to differentiate it from the 'Italian' GP at Monza.

See also the 'Luxembourg' GP at Nürburgring, which is absolutely in Germany and not Luxembourg.

Edited to add: that's the FIAT factory rooftop in Turin, isn't it? I've always wanted to go there. They don't run cars on it any more but apparently you can ride your pushbike there. The building itself is offices or a hotel or something now.

1 hour ago, morcs said:

San Marino? Or is that the location of one of those 3?

I guess San Marino isn't actually Italy or something?

Beenabadbunny has it, Imola is San Marino, or rather as he points out, isn't.

4 hours ago, mexos said:

Lewis is starting to push the boundaries of what F1 and Merc (I think) will be comfortable with. Pushing the boundaries is always going to end up with some discomfort for someone. If anyone can do it, it is him. He realises this. About to be a 7 time word champion. His voice carries a lot of weight. Time to use it.

Merc will never say anything publicly but I bet in the background they ask him to dial it back a bit. I do wonder if that was approved by Merc and F1. My guess looking at Toto's face during the podium, 100% not.

I'm not convinced it wasn't approved. I think he had it on pre-race and it is not just something he could carry around in his car - someone had to bring it to him.

I think Mercedes will be broadly relaxed about it really.  As a Company when they want to disassociate they can just say it is Lewis views but when they want to associate they can point to their association with Lewis.  From a PR point of view it is a tenable position for a Company to hold. 

1 hour ago, McCoy said:

I'm not convinced it wasn't approved. I think he had it on pre-race and it is not just something he could carry around in his car - someone had to bring it to him.

I think Mercedes will be broadly relaxed about it really.  As a Company when they want to disassociate they can just say it is Lewis views but when they want to associate they can point to their association with Lewis.  From a PR point of view it is a tenable position for a Company to hold. 

That's as may be but the podium ceremony is held to a higher standard as other bits of the weekend (see various fines over the years such as when Schumacher brought barrichello up on the top spot for austria 01 or 02, which rubens had literally gifted to michael and led to the first big team orders outcry), so it's possible he was told "OK, post-race media stuff, the interviews but not on the actual podium ceremony" and that;'s why Toto looked annoyed.

But yeah with lewis nailed on for equalling schumacher's championship record and probably likely to overtake it next year, he's untouchable. The only thing that would really cause an issue is if blowback starts hitting the sales of Mercedes cars, but that seems unlikely.

5 hours ago, beenabadbunny said:

Interesting bit of insight from Ted's Notebook that I hadn't noticed during the race.

Russell got nobbled on the last restart because he HADN'T been lapped.

The lapped cars were released to unlap themselves, so they had a lap's worth of heat in their tyres before the restart, so more grip off the line.

Not much you can do about it - it's not actually unfair, it's just the roll of the dice. But once again I was really disappointed for George.

I was watching the driver tracker at the time.  They released the lapped cars (Raik and Gro) who then did a circuit on their own, then the safety car lead the field out in front of them, except, the Safety Car didn't really leave early enough, so Raikonnen and Grosean basically had to slow right down / stop at the pit exit and let half of the field filter out of the pits then of course follow them all around for another lap.  Not entirely sure they'd have retained enough additional temperature from 1 slow lap prior to the start - possibly. 

5 hours ago, mexos said:

I think Hamilton will do what he likes anyway, and the punishment, from Merc anyway, will be little more than a wrist slap.  They may actually like it as it makes them look good to some whilst allowing them deniability to others.  Lewis isn't exactly Colin Kaepernick (in terms of what he is doing, how far he's pushing it, how revolutionary his actions are, or how at risk he is due to it!)

It's good stuff though, my respect and like for Hamilton is growing due to it.

11 minutes ago, Freeman said:

Lewis isn't exactly Colin Kaepernick (in terms of what he is doing, how far he's pushing it, how revolutionary his actions are, or how at risk he is due to it!)

It's good stuff though, my respect and like for Hamilton is growing due to it.

Same here, while I totally appreciate his driving I've never been a massive 'Hamilton the man' fan, this is showing there's a whole lot more to him.

What would he need to do to raise himself to Kaepernick levels? Take a knee on the podium? Something more? He's got the audience there if he wants it.

5 hours ago, kiroquai said:

This could be quite a fun Italian race!

fiat_factory_18.jpg

That got turned into a hotel (if it's where I'm thinking of in Turin?) - I stayed there about 10 years ago and did a morning jog around that track. Lovely place.

11 minutes ago, Agent L said:

Same here, while I totally appreciate his driving I've never been a massive 'Hamilton the man' fan, this is showing there's a whole lot more to him.

What would he need to do to raise himself to Kaepernick levels? Take a knee on the podium? Something more? He's got the audience there if he wants it.

I suppose the thing is that Hamilton isn't jeopardising his career.

Remember that Kaepernick hasn't thrown a pass since 2016 and is highly unlikely ever to step out on a football field again. Whether that's entirely because of his political statements is debatable (the team hadn't had a winning season since 2013, plus he had some persistent injuries IIRC) but the fact is he chose to make those statements anyway, even though he must have known it would hurt him.

It's different in lots of ways. Kaepernick was decent but certainly not the GOAT. US sports teams are generally very forgiving of the most abhorrent behaviour (look at Michael Vick, who had no difficulty getting re-hired upon release), yet Kaepernick - who has objectively done nothing wrong - can't even get a spot in the worst team in the league. You can't exactly see that happening to Lewis.

2 hours ago, Agent L said:

To add to the great description above, I see Kaep as a pioneer, and Hamilton as a follower. I don’t think LH has to raise himself to CK levels, and to a large extent, he can’t - can’t be the first, he isn’t jeopardising his career. His status as possible GOAT means he can do a lot more, but that could backfire, and, as I say, I think he’s a follower rather than a pioneer.

He should continue doing what he is doing though. He doesn’t need to he CK, that’s already happened.

Incidentally, I think some were talking about the phrasing used officially in F1.  The NFL also use “End Racism” phase.

I watched the Seahawks first game of the season last night, and all players took a knee post kick off, the end zone has “End Racism” in the white paint marking the end of the field, and many players have messages on the back of their helmets where the team logo usually is, BLM, Breonna Taylor etc. which of course is part of their official uniform.

20 hours ago, ryodi said:

I also agree the reason he can do it is because of who he is and how popular he is, he’s the one driver who transcends the sport. If he was tooling around in a Williams at the back the End Racism messages would not be part of F1.

Which is of course why it's important he does.

Do we think Ineos will be as tolerant? I mean they strike me as being a bunch of absolute sharlatans when it comes to ethics. I'd give him season under their ownership before he went elsewhere to stick it to them for his 9th WDC.

I think they would be because Hamilton will only be a few years from the end of his career and kicking him out if he's still performing at of close the level he's at now wouldn't look good. My expectation is like Ferrari when Schumacher and Brawn left as soon as Toto and Hamilton depart a lot of the backroom engineering staff will move on as well and whoever gets replaces will get a few years with a competitive car before they fall back into the pack. 

It's a weird one, chemicals company that has started building cars, investing vast sums of money into an f1 team....:mellow:

It has a waft of rich energy about it, except they really do have the cash to own it.

I think it's less the company and more a vanity project for the chairman John Ratcliff who is so rich the cost means nothing to him, much the same way billionaires who take over football teams to sportswash their reputation he's doing the same for INEOS with Mercedes and the cycling team. Assuming he signs a renewal for next season I think Hamilton can write his own contracts until the time he decides to retire, he the only real global superstar in the sport and sponsors want him wearing their logos because they know he's going to be photographed in them. No other driver on the grid can compete with that.

If anyone is going to dominate F1 again and make the outcome boring I'm happy that it's Hamilton with his BLM activism (and previously some lighter touch environmentalism and veganism, I say that as not-a-vegan).

It must trigger the motorsport (and I see even racefans comment wankers) so terribly. Delicious.