Formula One - 2020

3 minutes ago, layten said:

We all have had a good lol at Vettel's recent escapades. But he is going to fucking destroy Lance.

And Carlos, And Sharl. Delicious Ferrari tears next year.

On 07/09/2020 at 09:39, rgraves said:

Yes, he did. He had to overtake other cars, so he was never going to carry on gaining 2.5 seconds a lap once he caught the pack. Ham went from last (and like 25+ seconds behind the pack) to 7th in about 15 laps. Bottas, in the same car, went nowhere. Could have been another 50 laps and Bottas would have still been in the same spot. Hamilton on the other hand would have carried on making places.

From 16th to 7th. No shade on the drive he did, but four DNFs put him in the points, surely. 

And Bottas did shit. 

4 hours ago, NexivRed said:

From 16th to 7th. No shade on the drive he did, but four DNFs put him in the points, surely. 

And Bottas did shit. 

So Ham doing well was down to the car and others falling out of the way. Bottas doing shit was down to him.

I get he's a polarizing character, but why are people so damned intent on not giving Hamilton the respect he deserves for his drives? Yes he's in a good car, but he's proven (time and time again), he's taking that car and getting more out of it than others can. He's making it look even better.

50 minutes ago, rgraves said:

So Ham doing well was down to the car and others falling out of the way. Bottas doing shit was down to him.

I get he's a polarizing character, but why are people so damned intent on not giving Hamilton the respect he deserves for his drives? Yes he's in a good car, but he's proven (time and time again), he's taking that car and getting more out of it than others can. He's making it look even better.

In fairness, Bottas had a terrible start, and then went nowhere. 

2 hours ago, rgraves said:

Except I literally did. So why are there such strong Hamilton fanboys that you can completely ignore part of what I said?

All I said was he didn’t technically go from last. If he had come from 20th and ended up 11th, it still would have been incredible driving. I just prefer things to be accurate, and to note that four drivers were missing from the back is important to state. 

16 hours ago, layten said:

We all have had a good lol at Vettel's recent escapades. But he is going to fucking destroy Lance.

2019 or before Vettel would, the question is, is his performance this year compared to Charles him giving up on Ferrari or giving up more generally.

3 hours ago, rgraves said:

I literally said he'd had many great drives just this wasn't one of them.

It's more the other way around, why do people insist on pretending Lewis is god king of driving when he does sometimes phone it in or as in this case, just does what you'd expect a Mercedes to do.

1 hour ago, NexivRed said:

All I said was he didn’t technically go from last. If he had come from 20th and ended up 11th, it still would have been incredible driving. I just prefer things to be accurate, and to note that four drivers were missing from the back is important to state. 

Actually 5 drivers, Gio was ahead of him when he left the pits but of course also had to serve the exact same penalty.

It was not a rip the field apart drive, it was a calm, measured, mature World Champion drive that safely maximised or came very close to maximising the points he could have salvaged.

But what it wasn't was the reincarnation of angry Senna. It was just driving the car he had.

Apologies if I'm coming over wrong @NexivRed, it was the 'but' on your post that I guess I thought just inferred it wasn't his doing.

"From 16th to 7th. No shade on the drive he did, but..."

And he did come from last - after the stop go he was in plum last place - 20+ seconds behind the pack. I see your point that other folks retired, but it all just feels like finding ways to diminish what he did. If it had been Verstappen people would have been gushing about how this young guy overtakes and takes risks etc etc With Hamilton it's all hammered through this lens of 'well of course, he drives the merc'. But that same lens doesn't apply to the merc Bottas is driving.

So TLDR - soz, I just think the guy deserves credit for taking a good car and driving it really well that he doesn't always get (generally, not specifically you).

We'll Bottas' Merc is just as fast

at going backwards

though he gets nothing like the performance out of it that Hamilton does, but also I don't recall anyone putting up a fight against Hamilton, Latifi basically moved completely over for him

I'm not sure Vettel was ever any good at anything other than qualifying and leading from the front in the best car. He tended to crash into Webber or something else whenever actually challenged. It'll be interesting to see if he can handle life in the middle of the pack.

Recall him deliberately ramming Hamilton and somehow not getting banned for several races. "Petulant" is the oft used word.

They're all assholes to some degree but some are easier to dislike than others.

1 hour ago, wev said:

I don't recall anyone putting up a fight against Hamilton, Latifi basically moved completely over for him

Who else commanded this level of deference? Hmm. I wonder who? Once of his idols maybe? 

5 minutes ago, mexos said:

Who else commanded this level of deference? Hmm. I wonder who? Once of his idols maybe? 

:lol: I'm not knocking him, and in Latifi's defence he probably wondered what the fuck he was doing back there and before he remembered Hamilton had already gone through, besides all we ever hear when a MerCDes isn't out front is how they can't run in dirty air (though the Pink Mercedes seems to have no bother with it)