Formula One - 2020

Channel 4s piece about Williams had me a little teary eyed, though they did brush over that Frank was driving like a dick when he crashed and caused his life changing injuries.

Q1 was predictably ridiculous and Coulthard is absolutely right to call out how dangerous it all is and yes being up Gilles Villeneuve. Formula 1 is so forgetful of its past and just doesn't seem to want to learn, instead it's upto the drivers and the teams (who are the last ones to be relied upon to not push the boundaries of what is acceptable) to police how they behave.

46 minutes ago, wev said:

Channel 4s piece about Williams had me a little teary eyed, though they did brush over that Frank was driving like a dick when he crashed and caused his life changing injuries.

Q1 was predictably ridiculous and Coulthard is absolutely right to call out how dangerous it all is and yes being up Gilles Villeneuve. Formula 1 is so forgetful of its past and just doesn't seem to want to learn, instead it's upto the drivers and the teams (who are the last ones to be relied upon to not push the boundaries of what is acceptable) to police how they behave.

Does C4 put their features online, or will I need to scrub through the whole show on All4 to watch? I have some vague memory that Peter Windsor was a passenger in the car when Frank was driving, is that right? 

I have no idea if they break up their stuff online of not. It was mostly like a Rocky montage with some words over the top (from Lee McKenzie I think), and yes Peter Windsor was in the car too, it was a Sierra and Williams was racing from the circuit to the airport, I think it's covered in the Williams documentary

The minimum lap time for quali seems poorly thought out. I think it’s more likely to create the situations we saw today although maybe Monza is the worst case scenario.

If you all go out in a train and the front tries to take the slowest lap possible then those right behind would have to go slower than the time to make space in front of themselves. So they cannot do that and have to start hassling the train and moving up to stay within the time.

In Q1 today the main final clump left with 2:30 or so on the clock. The last guys couldn’t use the last 50 seconds to back up further so they ended up squabbling which created entertainment of its own but negated seeing much timing action at the end.

Maybe it just needs the teams to adjust and maybe anywhere other than Monza would negate the issue because they’d be looking for more clean air when sending them out.

If they persist it I think a minimum segment speed/time would work better, like how the virtual safety car works (but a higher speed, say 170% of some nominal ‘fast’ time taken from free practice). Basically a driver can buffer in front and behind a little but they’re otherwise at a roughly fixed pace in prep.

11 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

The minimum lap time for quali seems poorly thought out. I think it’s more likely to create the situations we saw today although maybe Monza is the worst case scenario.

If you all go out in a train and the front tries to take the slowest lap possible then those right behind would have to go slower than the time to make space in front of themselves. So they cannot do that and have to start hassling the train and moving up to stay within the time.

In Q1 today the main final clump left with 2:30 or so on the clock. The last guys couldn’t use the last 50 seconds to back up further so they ended up squabbling which created entertainment of its own but negated seeing much timing action at the end.

Maybe it just needs the teams to adjust and maybe anywhere other than Monza would negate the issue because they’d be looking for more clean air when sending them out.

If they persist it I think a minimum segment speed/time would work better, like how the virtual safety car works (but a higher speed, say 170% of some nominal ‘fast’ time taken from free practice). Basically a driver can buffer in front and behind a little but they’re otherwise at a roughly fixed pace in prep.

Qualifying was more exciting than last week's race.

It’s quite likely to have been more exciting than this weeks race, unless Red Bull’s moans about engine modes comes back to bite them in the midfield and Max has to wing it.

3 hours ago, ryodi said:

It'll be a shame to see the yellow and black livery go assuming the one shown above is the one they are going to use.

It'll be something close to that, the other "works" fake Alpine program is in WEC.

image.png.742529030ddcb94a3ce41f5d03a48503.png

11 minutes ago, mexos said:

Both look great to me!

So to today... is Bottas going to do anything today? Feels like the last stand for him. 

Well he is doing *something* it seems.

A New championship strategy, let others challenge instead

If Bottas was a red bull driver he would've been relegated last season. He just can't handle it. 

Fine for Lewis obviously and as long as Merc keep winning the constructors then I suppose they're still content with the line up.