rllmuk
Mr Tony

Formula One - 2020 - It's Race Week!

F1 2020 is going to be a mess. There's still no guarantee what races will happen this year so do they only include the original official calendar and then add the actual 2020 calendar later which may include tracks they don't already have or do they just include tn in the 2021 release like when the 2015 version included the 2014 cars and circuits as well. 

Bernie being Bernie, no surprises there.  Asking him about something like race was always going to produce amazing sound bites and headlines.

The black Merc looks great, not sure how I feel about them changing the colour of their car to show that they are inclusive (the colour / appearance of the car is so strongly related to marketing..), but am of course willing to support whatever helps.

2 hours ago, ryodi said:

I like it. I also expect Crofty to keep calling them the Sillver Arrows.

So, being honest here, how many of us want to *insert bad thing here* him at the start of every race...

"It's lights out, and away we go."  <_<

I really like Crofty. Maybe it's just the experience of the James Allen & Jonathan Leggard years that makes me grateful to have him.  

• Upvote 2

Yeah I think Crofty is alright. I really didn't like him back when he was doing GP2 commentary around 2009/2010 or so but feel like he's matured into a good foil for Brundle.

I'd just quite like him to realise it's possible to not SHOUT ALL THE TIME.

• Upvote 2

F1 will have to change their titles as well

As for Crofty I used to watch F1 on Channel 4 and Ben Edwards is just a lot better and not just because he's less shouty. I'm not a huge fan of Sky's coverage anyway, outside of Brundle, Ted and possibly Button when he's reliving his 2009 title for the hundredth time I would happily get rid of all of them. 

Crofty is worse than when he was on the radio, he shouts all the time to try and force excitement, and I hate his catchphrase. I’m sure he used to be good on the radio.

Crofty was really good on the radio, always wanted him to move to TV. Now I'd be happy for him to go back to radio and maybe he'd become decent again as James Allen did. Might just be radio is a better place for commentary, often prefer it for football.

I just find him tiring to listen to with the constant shouting and at times seems like he's not actually paying attention to what's going on.

21 hours ago, ryodi said:

As for Crofty I used to watch F1 on Channel 4 and Ben Edwards is just a lot better and not just because he's less shouty. I'm not a huge fan of Sky's coverage anyway, outside of Brundle, Ted and possibly Button when he's reliving his 2009 title for the hundredth time I would happily get rid of all of them. 

I like Karun Chandhok - he always comes across as very down to earth (actually, much like Brundle does) and seems to be a proper F1 geek, and isn't afraid to show it.  I wouldn't want him as a full time commentator mind, but remember hoping he was doing practice sessions as they were always interesting.   (note than I usually listen to practice whilst at work rather than watch particularly closely what's going on)

Davide Valsecchi (from their F2 coverage) is what Crofty should be.  He is shouty, but in an exciting way, not in a forced way.  He shouts when it's an exciting moment.  He stops shouting when he realises it's not an exciting moment.

I watched less than half a race on C4 and switched back to Sky when they were dual broadcasting.  For me, C4 was such a pale imitation of what the BBC did with F1.

Anyway, can't help but feel a little bit excited for this weekend whoever is talking over it :)

• Upvote 1

I reckon Red Bull might be very handy this weekend. They've been burning the midnight oil getting new bits for the car, and they'll have an upgraded Honda too.

People I know keep taking the mickey out of how Chandhok walks, and I always forget to look at it.

22 hours ago, Freeman said:

I like Karun Chandhok - he always comes across as very down to earth (actually, much like Brundle does) and seems to be a proper F1 geek, and isn't afraid to show it.  I wouldn't want him as a full time commentator mind, but remember hoping he was doing practice sessions as they were always interesting.   (note than I usually listen to practice whilst at work rather than watch particularly closely what's going on)

They should treat the practice session broadcasts as a chance to get deep into the geeky side of F1 rather than it being qualifing light, anyone watching practice on TV is all the way in and the geekier the better, so the likes of Chandhok are perfect.

• Upvote 3

Id forgotten about Chandhok, I would keep him as well. Sky do that occasionally but they seem to focus more now on having too many people in the booth (Herbert and Di Resta seems to be their favoured combo) and they just respond to tweets sent to whatever hashtag they are using. 

I wonder how Sky are going to manage commentary team because the booths at the circuits don’t look big enough for social distancing.

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

They should treat the practice session broadcasts as a chance to get deep into the geeky side of F1 rather than it being qualifing light, anyone watching practice on TV is all the way in and the geekier the better, so the likes of Chandhok are perfect.

Yes, this.  i used to listen on the erm, BBC sports radio station (5 Live posts extra or something?) for a while too, but can't remember who did it.

52 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Id forgotten about Chandhok, I would keep him as well. Sky do that occasionally but they seem to focus more now on having too many people in the booth (Herbert and Di Resta seems to be their favoured combo) and they just respond to tweets sent to whatever hashtag they are using. 

I wonder how Sky are going to manage commentary team because the booths at the circuits don’t look big enough for social distancing.

Pretty sure Murray Walker used to manage from a BBC studio in London, i'm sure they'll manage :hat:

"I can't quite see from my position in the commentary booth"

Yep, that's because it's in a different country ;)

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, kiroquai said:

Indeed. I am half-wondering if Racing Point might be ahead of them this coming weekend.

Well the 2019 Merc is still going to be pretty tasty.

In other news, George finally has a decent car to drive.

18 minutes ago, layten said:

Well the 2019 Merc is still going to be pretty tasty.

In other news, George finally has a decent car to drive.

No way Merc are not promoting him next year.

Just saying but at this point if I ran a team I'd be changing the livery purely for the lulz.

Be quicker if they, I dunno, put a livery editor in it?

Suspect the merc will be in gt sport by the weekend?

3 hours ago, mexos said:

Just saying but at this point if I ran a team I'd be changing the livery purely for the lulz.

Possibly including a "Studio Liverpool did it better" logo.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mexos said:

And called it Ace. 

What a guy. :blink:

It’s short for Racist Eccleston:coffee:

Safety car livery has changed

This one isn’t as much of an issue for Codemasters because even with it turned on you don’t see it that often in the races.