rllmuk
Mr Tony

Formula One - 2020 - It's Race Week!

I know, and after that puff-piece about social distancing at AM factory

Technically you could social distance by laying off a lot of people...

McLaren is making a quarter of its total work force redundant, including the F1 team.

• Empathy 1

From Politico:

Race against time: The Times also reports that Boris Johnson has thrown his weight behind efforts to ensure the Formula One Grand Prix at Silverstone in July goes ahead despite quarantine restrictions. “He told ministers to ‘make Formula One happen,’ the paper reports, and asked Oliver Dowden, the culture secretary, to work with Matt Hancock, the health secretary, and Priti Patel, the home secretary … The Times has been told that the exemption list for quarantine restrictions is likely to be significantly expanded when it is reviewed after three weeks.”

• Upvote 1

And the medical evidence for any of that will be

*crickets*

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

And the medical evidence for any of that will be

*crickets*

The best way to check if you are OK from Covid is to drive round a race track 60 or so times.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

The best way to check if you are OK from Covid is to drive round a race track 60 or so times.

I don't think a Grand Prix is 260 miles though, they need to make the races longer to get a more accurate result

Dutch say their race won't be rescheduled for later in the year. Off until next year.

Which is interesting because with the season likely to be Europe and Middle East only they would be right up there.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.williams-could-sell-f1-team-as-board-announces-gbp13m-loss-in-2019-and-split.455wGjds3WOQf7gdSuqJRf.html

Williams overall lost 13 million pounds last year. 10 million of the loss was via the F1 team.

F1 team is for sale but they don't have a confirmed buyer yet.

Also won't be ROKIT Williams any more. The article makes it appear that Williams has dumped ROKIT rather than the other way around.

(Edit: @JohnC beat me to it! :D )

If I was a billionaire I'd totally buy an F1 team. A loss of ten million a year to a billionaire would be like me spending £250 a year on a hobby. You just wouldn't even notice it.

Renault is cutting 14k jobs as part of a €2B cost saving measure which moist make the F1 team feel at risk as well.

34 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

If I was a billionaire I'd totally buy an F1 team. A loss of ten million a year to a billionaire would be like me spending £250 a year on a hobby. You just wouldn't even notice it.

If you want to be a good F1 team you'll lose a lot more than that.  Williams were spending the bare minimum to run cars even after hawking their 2nd seat. They were lucky to get someone as competent as Kubica but even so.

The dropping Rokit rather than the other way around seems interesting.  Rokit came from virtually nowhere and sponsor a huge amount of stuff for a company that sells actually quite competent phones for essentially fuck all. 

58 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Renault is cutting 14k jobs as part of a €2B cost saving measure which moist make the F1 team feel at risk as well.

They claim otherwise of course but it must be tempting.

And of course they've no engine customers after this season, which both keeps them in as their works team is the only prescence but also makes it easier to leave.

That's not great news for Williams, because buying Brackley, especially with a "works" engine deal attached is going to be a lot more attractive than buying the ashes down the road at Grove.

As much as it's easy to put the boot into Williams, it must have come as a huge relief to all involved. I'd love to see it surge back up the grid, but unless the buyer goes in and does a number on the structure which I understand to be a bit autocratic, it's not going to happen.

You'd hope there's a petrolhead out there with vast sums of money looking for a decent playset....

I heard credible rumours they rejected a buy out offer from a huge Chinese company few months ago, so I wonder if that could still be on the table?

It’s sad that they couldn’t last until the budget cap even.

I sort of hope that if they have to be bought, it would be by a company like Penske. 

Problem with Penske is that I imagine Roger might be a little too war-weary and sceptical to want to invest in Formula One now, even if the new cost-cap stuff is on the horizon. I'd love to see him back, mind. His old factory in Poole was just around the corner from where I grew up.

Penske just bought an entire series, he doesn't have time to play in F1.

Apparently Williams are going to announce their new livery...

image.png.72dbeee4f556f07c73f4aabc4ea7ae74.png

*looks for rumours about Geely buying Williams to make yet another Lotus F1 team*

So basically what they did last time they had no sponsorship.

I'd post a picture of Damon Hill's arrows here for comedy value but that's actually got too many sponsors.

I’d happily take the Brawn livery with light blue stripes on it instead of dayglo yellow, but it would probably look a bit too martini for them. I didn’t really like the throwback rothmans livery they ran with PDVSA, it didn’t look quite right. 

The problem is anything they go back to a lookalike of is just going to ram home they're not that good anymore.

With one exception.

Their only remaining sponsor of scale is Lavazza coffee, through Nic Lafiti.  

They've been sponsored by Lavazza before.

image.png.9a35e2794a6cea6ee5932b4d50630425.png

Or rather they haven't.  Before Frank Williams started Williams Grand Prix Engineering he ran a team called Frank Williams Racing Cars through the 70s under several entrant names such as Politoys, ISO Marlboro and eventually Wolf-Williams.  He sold the team and they became the Wolf team Jody Scheckter won with and James Hunt finished his career with.

This car though was a one off for Lella Lombardi, who came with the sponsorship and was entered as Frank Williams Racing Cars. The car didn't make the start thanks to an ignition issue.

If they're going throwback. Throwback properly.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Dudley said:

The dropping Rokit rather than the other way around seems interesting.  Rokit came from virtually nowhere and sponsor a huge amount of stuff for a company that sells actually quite competent phones for essentially fuck all. 

Wonder if it's due to Rokit being another one of these really dodgy seeming companies that on the face of it, look like a front:

• Upvote 1

Oh yeah they're interesting at least, although their founders DO have good pedigree.

John Dejoria founded Paul Mitchell cosmetics and Tequilla Patron, both of whom are huge and the latter of which were a motor racing sponsor of perfect respectability for years (at least in terms of paying their bills) until he sold them.

They could always go back to the Winfield livery, those even those cars were better than the current one