rllmuk
Mr Tony

Formula One - 2020 - It's Race Week!

I knew it was a mistake to join the fantasy F1 thing for the first time.

• Upvote 8

F sake John! :lol:

Someone send him the delete my entry link ASAP.

A few years ago I finally got tickets to Wimbledon. Centre court! A match with Federer and another with Djokovic. Amazing. Both matches had about 40 mins of play before their opponents pulled out. What are the chances. Sorry everyone.

21 hours ago, mexos said:

I'd also expect a scaled back weekend. Don't be surprised if Friday gets cut. Arrive at track Thursday/Friday, get the cars and garages up. Saturday morning a warm up (remember that?) before straight into qually. Race as normal. We could get some classic races as less prep = mistakes = DNF's, cars out of position etc.

They've been wanting a 2 day weekend for a long time, because hey, let's give the general public even fewer chances to actually see the cars.

Cor, what a treat this is going to be! I've only had a brief flick through it and had to put it down due to the absolute filth contained within. Why did I not know about this??

95644712_10157497924122979_5133795239500185600_o.jpg

Well, I've dipped in and it's bloody wonderful. Covers the shit hitting the fan in 93 and a certain v12 manufacturer remaining conveniently absent from the re-fueling debate/debacle.

Max Mosley is comming across as the kind of dickhead that he replaced, and Balestre was a proper cunt. I'm having to show a bit of restraint as I fear I'd pound through it in a few days, especially as I feel it's where my love affair with F1 ended.

• Upvote 1

I think it's almost inevitable that we will see some races this year, and I think the rumours floating around about double races could come off too.

Let's not forget F1 is headed by Liberty, who let everyone fly out to Australia during a pandemic that was showing all the signs of getting worse, including a main team travelling from a country in lock down at the time.  They didn't pull the plug until the commercial entities did, saving themselves a large wedge of cash.

Many of the contracts depend on number of races, they will be doing what they can to get that number bigger.

Moving the F1 circus, even in a reduced capacity, it'll be virtually impossible to restrict virus spread though, there will be local staff, be it catering, or delivering food stuffs, teams trying to sneak new parts out on chartered flights, travelling through airports and customs, ambulance staff required from local hospitals, and obviously still potential for serious accidents needing medical attention...  Even as a life long F1 fan and petrol head It all seems silly for some racing.

Do all marshalls still volunteer, or is that a UK thing...?

I think it's a global effort to volunteer, though I could be completely wrong where circuits have state  moolah to throw at the problem. I'd love to think that it was doo-able, you go to Snetterton at the bombhole marshall post and three people spend a large amount of time interacting with one another and not really seeing anyone else. Of course they also have to attend a briefing which is where the problem starts. Unless you wheel people onto site for a fortnight before a race and wait till somebody gets the covids, and then it's kind of fucked really. 

Max showing his intelligence by not using the pitlane limiter and instead doing it manually to gain an edge

Zandvoort is going to have less overtaking than Monaco. The cars are so wide and there’s no heavy braking zone to attempt a pass

Looks fun to drive though. Nice flow (apart from the chicane near the end which looks a bit naff). Reminds me more of the Hungaroring than Monaco.

Wasn't it supposed to be this weekend?

There's some races where it feels like (to me anyway) they are already run behind closed doors. Paul Ricard and Sochi spring to mind. When they used to race at Velencia too. Just have a calendar of those races and it will be like old times.

2 hours ago, LowCostMonkey said:

There's some races where it feels like (to me anyway) they are already run behind closed doors. Paul Ricard and Sochi spring to mind. When they used to race at Velencia too. Just have a calendar of those races and it will be like old times.

Things are bad enough as it is, let's not start inflicting things like Valencia on the public again.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, JohnC said:

But the fish market!

Will be closed and that was the most interesting thing, what's left to talk about after that. Cement factories might be closed though which would be a slight plus.

22 hours ago, ryodi said:

Max showing his intelligence by not using the pitlane limiter and instead doing it manually to gain an edge

I love the headline calls it a "Hack".

For those not looking, as Ryodi says all he's doing is realising the limit has a tolerance as they all do and taking the risk of judging it himself.

To be honest I've no fucking idea why a virtual series bothers with a pitlane speed limit in the first place.

12 hours ago, Dudley said:

To be honest I've no fucking idea why a virtual series bothers with a pitlane speed limit in the first place.

For the realism of course. 

22 hours ago, JPR said:

Things are bad enough as it is, let's not start inflicting things like Valencia on the public again.

Holding it in Valencia this year would give it a nice dystopian look.

https://joeblogsonf1.wordpress.com/2018/10/17/valencias-crumbling-abandoned-f1-track-a-warning-shot-to-vietnam-grand-prix/

Sebastian Vettel is now taking part in one of “The Race” events with Button etc

He did ok actually.  I never thought Sebastian Vettel and Jason Plato are 2 people I'd see racing each other.

--

In other news, you know you're doing slightly poorly when your esports Nascar team has better sponsorship than your F1 team.

image.thumb.png.a902800c639e3b23f0713ac157bc6c68.png

On 29/04/2020 at 14:19, marsh said:

Cor, what a treat this is going to be! I've only had a brief flick through it and had to put it down due to the absolute filth contained within. Why did I not know about this??

95644712_10157497924122979_5133795239500185600_o.jpg

Right, so, it comes as a bit of shock to myself that after 20 plus years....

No, I can't write it. Benetton were fucking cheating. There were some very dubious shenanigans going on with the 'traction control/anti stall/rev limiting' device fitted to the b194. Almost along the lines of the brawn double diffuser, they found a loophole, and they exploited it. That car also had a trick diffuser, one which the cobblers driving style seemed to exploit quite well. The fuel rig fire is well documented, and they did piss around with a filter in it. But it was something that intertechnique had told other teams, Larrouse and Ligier (who were both in Benettons pockets) that it was ok to take it out of their fuel rig.

It's a cracking read, if nothing more to remind yourself how every single team on the grid is working on a loophole in the rules to gain a competitive edge. Oh, and it also serves to point out the cobbler was a filthy cheat, especially under pressure.

I wouldn’t mind reading that. Benetton were clearly cheating that year, the fire was down to some mods increasing the fuel rig flow rate no? TRC was on option 13 from what I remember, which was hidden in some menu, because “we promise we won’t use it”. Did Flavio own Ligier already that year, or was that later on?

10 hours ago, marsh said:

That car also had a trick diffuser, one which the cobblers driving style seemed to exploit quite well.

Don't know if you listen to the Beyond The Grid podcast. John Barnard was on it the other week and he said some interesting stuff about Schumacher's driving style, from his perspective as the designer of his cars at Benetton, then Ferrari.

It's worth a listen but the gist is that most drivers prefer a very stable rear end. If you design/set up the car to be really planted at the back, you make a trade-off against understeer at the front. Most drivers accept this and learn to manage the understeer.

Schumacher prefers the car to turn in really aggressively, then he manages the back end by balancing it on the throttle and brake. Anyone else driving one of his cars would struggle with oversteer as a result.

For Barnard, this is absolutely the wrong way to set up a car and he says he much preferred working with his other drivers (Berger and Alesi) as their style was better suited to the way Barnard thought the car should be.

Fast-forward a few years and isn't this why Vettel struggles in the Ferrari? He did all his winning in the Newey Red Bull with the back end nailed down really hard, so he could get the throttle wide open really early while cornering. Goes to Ferrari, back end is loose, he can't rely on the grip and ends up spinning it around.

9 hours ago, GwiDan said:

I wouldn’t mind reading that. Benetton were clearly cheating that year, the fire was down to some mods increasing the fuel rig flow rate no? TRC was on option 13 from what I remember, which was hidden in some menu, because “we promise we won’t use it”. Did Flavio own Ligier already that year, or was that later on?

They, or at least 'a junior employee' removed a fuel filter about the size of the filter in a cafetiere. Said junior employee also got his face partially roasted in said fire and is the person you can see on said cover of the book. He says that they had conversations with Larousse (using benetton gearbox's) and Ligier (heading towards Benetton B team status, Renault engines, 95's Ligier was suspect as being a B spec Benetton B194/195 some testing link up, Lehto went to play/test for them in 94) and that they had spoken with the FIA and Intertechnique who supplied the fuel rigs and they had said it's ok to take the filter out. Said Junior employee never worked in F1 after that season.

The most interesting thing about it is that the software for the traction control was never removed from the B194, the code was present, but difficult if not impossible to access (yeah like balls it was) so when Senna was listening to the Bennetton at the Pacific GP what he's alleged to have heard is the traction control. Bennetton and Ford both argued that if they removed the code completely from the car, they would have had to re-write the software completely and due to the late call for the rule changes in 93, there wasn't sufficient time to do this. A statement Williams said would have taken about a week to do correctly much as they had done.

The Bennetton did have an anti stall/rev limiter on it, which sounded much like a traction control device. Something not helped by Schumacher seemingly deliberately demonstrating it in front of his great rival during a test leading into the start of the season. In an effort to antagonize his rival it is said that in full view of Senna and one of the Williams engineers, Schumacher did a standing start at full pelt not leaving two massive black tyre marks in his wake. This prompted Senna to turn to the engineer and state 'this is what we are up against'

What you have to remember is that the FIA had said it was ok for stuff like that to be present on the car, as long as you don't use it.

It's easy now, the ECU's all come from one supplier. I wonder how much room there is to fart about with them...?

16 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

Don't know if you listen to the Beyond The Grid podcast. John Barnard was on it the other week and he said some interesting stuff about Schumacher's driving style, from his perspective as the designer of his cars at Benetton, then Ferrari.

It's worth a listen but the gist is that most drivers prefer a very stable rear end. If you design/set up the car to be really planted at the back, you make a trade-off against understeer at the front. Most drivers accept this and learn to manage the understeer.

Schumacher prefers the car to turn in really aggressively, then he manages the back end by balancing it on the throttle and brake. Anyone else driving one of his cars would struggle with oversteer as a result.

For Barnard, this is absolutely the wrong way to set up a car and he says he much preferred working with his other drivers (Berger and Alesi) as their style was better suited to the way Barnard thought the car should be.

Fast-forward a few years and isn't this why Vettel struggles in the Ferrari? He did all his winning in the Newey Red Bull with the back end nailed down really hard, so he could get the throttle wide open really early while cornering. Goes to Ferrari, back end is loose, he can't rely on the grip and ends up spinning it around.

Yep, I can confirm that the Bennetton was as twitchy as fuck, one of the reasons Lehto and Verstappen got absolutely obliterated by the cobbler. They couldn't drive the car, a car which may or may not have had the same electrical assistance that their team mate had....

The overwhelming problem I have is that there is a veritable rogues gallery of people involved in the Bennetton team of that era, Flav, the Cobbler, and Tom Walkinshaw. Walksinshaw was as dodgey as fuck, I suspect that he got kicked out and or disqualified from as many races as races he won.

I suppose in summary the 94 season is best remembered for what was lost that year, and not who and what won it.

• Upvote 2

Just now, marsh said:

@GwiDan more than happy to loan you my copy, it's not a cheap read....

Last I looked it was £7.99 on Google Play Books, if you just want to read it and don't need a physical copy.

1 minute ago, beenabadbunny said:

Last I looked it was £7.99 on Google Play Books, if you just want to read it and don't need a physical copy.

Stone cold bargain, damn my old school habbits! Looks nice in my man cave...:blah:

• Upvote 1