rllmuk
Mr Tony

Formula One - 2020 - It's Race Week!

Just watching this now. So much cringe at the tech fails. Ridiculous bollocks. Sticking with Marbula 1. Much more engaging.

I wonder if this will cause a rush to get F1 licensing into one of the proper sims. Some have F1 mods already, though I guess they won't have all the circuits.

The graphics on the Codies game are mighty impressive though I have to admit.

28 minutes ago, morcs said:

The graphics on the Codies game are mighty impressive though I have to admit.

If only they'd spent half that time on the driving dynamics and FFB...

But you have iRacing etc. for that, and they don't look as nice :)

Arguably a better choice but maybe the more casual/less techie audience would be put off by that.

Maybe sim racing will get a huge bump of evolution in the coming months. I think some of the network issues are practically unsolvable though unfortunately.

I've bought every Codies F1 game and put a load of time into them. But the last 3 I've bought, been impressed by the graphics and then after a week or so abandoned it because the feeling of driving just hasn't moved on. It just feels a bit dead to drive with a wheel imo. 

GT sport is far from perfect but it just feels so much better. I agree iRacing is where the hardcore is, but I don't have a PC or the will to get into it right now. 

I am just disappointed codies didn't make and real improvement in the driving basics. If they could make their F1 games feel like GT Sport's Super Formula they would crush it. They'd have so many people playing it, and lot more F1 drivers I recon.

• Upvote 2

Baku has been postponed. Codies have always been on a hiding to nothing with the F1 games because if there was any real money in them a bigger publisher would have picked up the license which I imagine has strict requirements that would make adding to something like iRacing difficult.

Part of the problem with the race yesterday was that Bahrain has so much run off that it’s everyone was going to abuse track limits, the Australia GP was a lot better. It was fun outside the technical issues and would have been better at 50% distance instead of 25% which meant everyone was in a hurry to overtake.

iRacing tonight. I think there’s an official stream but this is Jimmer’s

NASCAR has their virtual race with iRacing this weekend. It doesn't look as good as the F1 game obviously and there are just as many crashes but then that's NASCAR. Some of the drivers are shown to have some real :blink: rigs at the start.

On 18/03/2020 at 09:40, marsh said:

Outrageous to omit GT Sport from that suggestion! there's a fine level of support on these very pages for the game and the racing is far better than any of the daily online stuff you can get involved with.

The lobby for Rllmuk was packed on Monday night @McSpeed is your man.

I've managed to turn this into a sort of "Forever Alone" Christmas, so I'll be on GT Sport soon.

I had some issues, such as not being able to fit the tele in a Vauxhall PeePee, and a delivery driver stealing the first steering wheel I ordered, but my "haul" is now complete.

• Upvote 1

Edit: I really wanted to set up a proper PC iRacing/AC etc. rig one day, but I noticed Asetto Corsa is on PS4 too? Is it good? I'm in the wrong thread/sub-forum aren't I :D

24 minutes ago, morcs said:

Edit: I really wanted to set up a proper PC iRacing/AC etc. rig one day, but I noticed Asetto Corsa is on PS4 too? Is it good? I'm in the wrong thread/sub-forum aren't I :D

I've got Asetto Corsa on the PS4 and it remains in my 'armageddon' pile, largely because I'm still working, and also because I find that GT sport occupies nearly all of my available racing time. I'll stick a replay up from Monday night. Lobby was rammed, racing exceptionally fair.

Yeah I know it'll be good - used to do Forza 3 will rllmuk and everyone was super-clean, except Boozy the Clown's constant swearing :)

The full race will be on YouTube once the stream has finished.

One of the best. I’ve been suckered in. How it’s all changed since them. So many names no longer around. 

They should change the rules more often. Lots of battling through the field, cars making two or more pit stops, the ugliest McLaren ever and barely any crowd reaction shots.

Part of that will be Bahrain doesn't have grandstands for most of the middle of the track.

I won't link for safety but an account called "The Variety Network" is posting a lot from the "ITV" era of F1, especially the 2005-2008 period in full.

I'm watching USA 2007 now but I watched Austria 2001 yesterday and a race from 2005 the day before that.

• Upvote 1

Dear god I'd forgotten how bad ITV was.

The shilling for Lewis is unbelievably bad from James Allan who is quite happy to give entirely opposite opinions during the same race dependent on what would help Lewis and practically begging McLaren to tell them to hold station in the last stint.

But also, how annoying breaks are and how bad ITV are at timing them, the latest one in this race being literally as the leader was coming into the pits.

Full respect to Mercedes, this is amazing:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52087002

Forty of the new devices have been delivered to ULCH and to three other London hospitals. If trials go well, up to 1,000 of the CPAP machines can be produced per day by Mercedes-AMG-HPP, beginning in a week's time.

1000. A DAY. 

I thought it would be a dozen a so and every little helps. Amazing work.

• Upvote 5

Watching the 2009 Australian GP and while you remember at least the first half of this season for Brawn domination in this race it really isn't so.  You've got 4 drivers from 4 teams within 5 seconds of each other at the front with 20 laps to go.

TLDR: Helmut Marko supposedly wanted to have a kind of coronavirus measles party for the Red Bull drivers (first string, reserves and juniors) during the current offseason, so that they'll all be over it by the time the racing is due to start again.

I'd love to see the original comments, which are presumably in German, rather than the BBC's rendering of it.

The same article certainly appears to fundamentally misunderstand some of his other comments, for example:

Marko said that if current plans for the season go ahead, for Red Bull, the loss of revenue from fewer races was not that big a blow as they would save more money by running the cars less.

"Reduced costs due to fewer races are significantly lower than our losses in revenue," he said.

The quote they've used is literally saying the opposite of what they think it is. Basic comprehension fail there from the BBC writer.  

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, mexos said:

Full respect to Mercedes, this is amazing:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52087002

Forty of the new devices have been delivered to ULCH and to three other London hospitals. If trials go well, up to 1,000 of the CPAP machines can be produced per day by Mercedes-AMG-HPP, beginning in a week's time.

1000. A DAY. 

I thought it would be a dozen a so and every little helps. Amazing work.

Yeah and I think most of the teams are involved in the rush for proper ventilators. Hats off to the engineers and teams involved, makes me proud to enjoy this sport. They could literally save thousands of lives here.

The problem with CPAP is that it vents the expired air into atmosphere, which increases the risk of aerosolised virus. I’m interested to see if/how they’ve solved that. 

Australia 86 will be the full race replay on the F1 YouTube channel tomorrow. Which I'm surprised by, I didn't think they'd go that far back when there is a lot of cigarette advertising in that era.