rllmuk
Mr Tony

Formula One - 2020 - It's Race Week!

How the race was cancelled.

It was left to the teams to decide if the race would go ahead. Ferrari had said they wouldn't be racing whatever was decided, Alfa Romeo and Renault voted no with McLaren being taken as a no. Mercedes, Red Bull, AlphaTauri and Racing Point voted to race with Williams and Haas saying they'd go with the majority. As it was a tie Ross Brawn was given the deciding vote and he said to go ahead with the race.

Then Wolff got a phone call from his boss at Mercedes who didn't tell him what to do, but discussed his concerns with things getting worse in Europe. After which Wolff told Brawn they would now be voting against racing. As there where fewer than 12 cars now the sporting regulations allowed the FIA to cancel the event.

The track promoters wanted to go ahead with the weekend still but then the Victorian government said no spectators would be allowed, so it was called off.

So when Chase Carey said "I guess if cash was king, we wouldn't have made the decision we did today" in response to Hamilton, I wonder who the we his, because it looks like he had nothing to do with it.

• Upvote 2

I found my old ITV F1 montage video and have stuck it up on YouTube - expect it will get taken down before long, but here's the link if anyone is looking for a short fix to make up for the cancelled race: 

• Upvote 1

The 1997 Monaco GP is worth watching for the track guide at the start

Now Jimmy's in a race with Lando and Van Doorne :lol:

Lando keeps forgetting to use DRS. Some professional f1 driver. 

It's meant to be on auto anyway.

To be fair they haven't really had time to prepare properly for this, but it's entertaining anyway :)

I'm watching SuperGT's stream

As someone who bought but didn't really play the game when it came out it's making me want to get back into it.

Some great racing in the middle of there. Hopefully someone will stitch together an edit of all the different streams, could be fun :)

The battle between Lando and the other guy was great, that guy must've been over the moon, a real F1 fan racing so well with a real F1 driver. :)

SuperGT had a really good battle with Real Madrid goalkeeper Thibout Courtois who was fast.

Damn the Not The Aus GP race really made me want to buy a wheel again! :D

I love that Lando does this stuff, probably no money in it for him or anything, not for PR, or the team or anything, he just loves it.

I also like that presumably Sky, the FIA etc. made no money out of it.

• Upvote 3

Lando did the f1 podcast saying he stays up all night playing video games. Is he a member here?

What the heck, I'll put this here for your racing fix.  (Click through for more, they are up to race 5 of the season.)

• Upvote 9

I will be very surprised if there’s any motor racing at all this year

I’d watch esports with the current grid using proper strategy etc. 

You guys should follow Lando on Twitch. Him and Max were doing some iRacing earlier.

• Upvote 1

Does iRacing still cost fifteen million quid to get involved with?

It’s still expensive yeah, but there are loads of other options. Asetto Corsa is popular. Of course costs spiral as you want to upgrade your “rig” anyway :) 

If you just want cheap "near sim" racing and you have a wheel, Asetto Corsa and Project CARS 2, the best options for such things are in a current humble bundle.

You'll also get Dirt 4, a recent Nascar game and a fairly old but still reasonable motoGP one to use your controller with.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/just-drive?hmb_source=humble_home&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=mosaic_section_2_layout_index_2_layout_type_twos_tile_index_1_c_justdrive_bundle

• Upvote 2

Outrageous to omit GT Sport from that suggestion! there's a fine level of support on these very pages for the game and the racing is far better than any of the daily online stuff you can get involved with.

The lobby for Rllmuk was packed on Monday night @McSpeed is your man.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Dudley said:

If you just want cheap "near sim" racing and you have a wheel, Asetto Corsa and Project CARS 2, the best options for such things are in a current humble bundle.

You'll also get Dirt 4, a recent Nascar game and a fairly old but still reasonable motoGP one to use your controller with.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/just-drive?hmb_source=humble_home&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=mosaic_section_2_layout_index_2_layout_type_twos_tile_index_1_c_justdrive_bundle

Just incase you've not got a wheel I found project cars 2 unplayable(even researching setups and playing around with it) with a controller on the xbox.

it was OK in the first open wheel campaign but the second years campaign was dreadful. It was better than the first project cars but again still twitchy to the point I could not get any decent racing. 

I'm happy to hear if there is a way round this without a wheel.