rllmuk
Mr Tony

Formula One - 2020 - It's Race Week again! - British GP Live on C4

It’s gonna be Alonso Vettel at Renault with Ocon as reserve :eyebrows:

Ocon is the perfect, soft, compliant, dough ball that Alonso needs. Superb chumpion material. I was going to offer a suggestion for alternatives, but they have the perfect candidate in place.

Guess what these two were up to last time Alonso won a race, back in 2013......

-mWEqIwwXfyclcjyQpH7pR0Y7c7mRNAzdN_aojODtJE.jpg

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, marsh said:

Ocon is the perfect, soft, compliant, dough ball that Alonso needs. Superb chumpion material. I was going to offer a suggestion for alternatives, but they have the perfect candidate in place.

Oof! Hey don't hold back, say what you really mean! 

I do have some sympathy for Ocon, Alonso pitching up is potentially career ending.

Maybe his time away has humbled Alonso and give him a new appreciation of an F1 seat and team harmony

:lol:

• Upvote 3

Oh FFS, why are they clinging on to him? Renault should be looking to build a team, not rip it apart

They probably need money. I’d imagine he’ll bring quite a lot of that..

Isn't he still attached to not smoking sponsorship?

1 hour ago, marsh said:

I do have some sympathy for Ocon, Alonso pitching up is potentially career ending.

Imagine losing every race to a has been. 

I wonder if Alonso knows something we don't about 2022.

He doesn't strike me as being the same as Kimi, laid back and happy enough to run around in a midfield car aged 40.

So I assume he feels he (a) has more to prove, and (b) will be able to do it in the new-regs Renault (albeit with a year of running around in the midfield in the current car first, granted.)

Can't see them taking Vettel on and bumping Ocon back to reserve. Alonso wouldn't want another champion as a teammate, surely.

13 hours ago, marsh said:

Or career making.

I'm not sure about Ocon. He's certainly very good, but I am still unsure if he's got that final 'it' factor that separates the Hamiltons from the Buttons or the Clarks from the Hills. I guess Alonso being his team mate will probably answer that!

It'll be really interesting as a whole to see how this current group of young drivers pan out. We've already got a pretty good idea that Leclerc is the real deal, but still a lot to learn about Norris, Russell, Albon and Ocon.

• Upvote 1

Mercedes have been killing it on twitter

etc.

Well, I guess it means they probably will stick about for a couple of years and thus providing an alternative engine supplier to the business.

I’m genuinely excited about this. I just hope Renault nail the new regs. 

They must have a great presentation they show the drivers.

I assume whatever they told Danny Ric to get him to sign is what they're telling Alonso. 

I’m probably alone in thinking it’s sad that he’s coming back. He’s been gone for two years, Renault appear to be the only team left on the grid that would want him and teams generally improve once he’s left. He’s going to be 43 when his contract ends and F1 will feel like NASCAR with so many old guys around.

9 minutes ago, ryodi said:

I’m probably alone in thinking it’s sad that he’s coming back. He’s been gone for two years, Renault appear to be the only team left on the grid that would want him and teams generally improve once he’s left. He’s going to be 43 when his contract ends and F1 will feel like NASCAR with so many old guys around.

I think it’s great. I think GP2 did a lot of damage to the career ladder to F1 by kicking the series champion out each year. F1 shouldn’t be full of 19 year olds that won F2 in their first season and had to progress if they want to stay in motorsport. 

• Upvote 1

There are PLENTY of other formula kicking around that would welcome those that don't make it. F1 isn't the be all and end all for racers, the perception is that, but the reality is otherwise IMO.

Alonso needs a good car, what I struggle with is the likes of Max and Lando being poles apart in terms of what they bring to the sport vs Mr miseryguts.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Gloomy Andy said:

They must have a great presentation they show the drivers.

I assume whatever they told Danny Ric to get him to sign is what they're telling Alonso. 

"mate, we're gonna hide jet engines in the sidepods. they'll never find them"

16 minutes ago, SeanR said:

"mate, we're gonna hide jet engines in the sidepods. they'll never find them"

Are you suggesting that Toleman/Bennetton/Renault/Evil Lotus/Renault are cheats?

3 hours ago, GwiDan said:

I think it’s great. I think GP2 did a lot of damage to the career ladder to F1 by kicking the series champion out each year. F1 shouldn’t be full of 19 year olds that won F2 in their first season and had to progress if they want to stay in motorsport. 

Whether they kick you out or not you should never stay in a lower series you've won because there's no way to increase your reputation.

If you do another season and win, who cares, so you should.

If you don't, your career is over.

Of course there should be enough seats in F1 than the F2 champion should graduate by right, much like Indycar manage.

1 hour ago, marsh said:

Are you suggesting that Toleman/Bennetton/Renault/Evil Lotus/Renault are cheats?

moi.thumb.jpg.5e373b83ddbd3a83b7efebb8e90f4d46.jpg

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, GwiDan said:

Yeah I think it needs to be a mix. The young challengers and the experienced champions. Push the mix too far in either direction and it’s wrong imo.

You could lose Kimi tho. :P

Please. Pretty pls.