rllmuk
Mr Tony

Formula One - 2020 - It's Race Week again! - British GP Live on C4

26 minutes ago, Dudley said:

It's not "On" Albon as such, for me it's a 50/50 or at least enough the stewards can butt out.

But the reason people are being down on Albon is that he shouldn't have gone for that move at all at that point, he paniced.

You have to remember the situation, it's poor race craft.  He's got about 10 laps to go. He's got 2 cars to pass.  He's on the best tyres with a completely healthy car.  They're in cars that they have to baby and on old tyres.  He's going to have DRS for 8 of those laps, at least one application of comes after a corner where you can gain huge amounts by using the kerbs.

There is absolutely no reason to make that move then and the reason he did is immaturity.

The outcome itself is not on Albon, but he should not have put himself in that position, at that time.  If this had been a healthy merc and Red Bull for the lead, on the last lap, it'd be a very different situation.

It's easy to forget that this is only his second season and he's not even had a full season with a (sometimes) competitive car, it's easy for someone with his lack of experience, in a team that has binned drivers for not getting podiums (they're treatment of Gladly was pretty bad going by the Netflix show, kept going on about him losing confidence then sticking the knife in at every turn), you can kind of see why he probably went for it rather than be patient.

But yes, it's a racing incident.

Landooooooo!! :wub:

Crazy amount of teething problems. Kimi’s tyre was intense. Was it Kvyat’s suspension that went? Looked like he ended up without a rim either. 

I’ve not seen a replay yet, but the first thing I said after the Albon/Ham incident was “lack of experience?”

It’s ultimately fucking shit for him. But I’m glad there are enough good, young drivers there who’ll take shots like that. I can not describe how boring it is to watch Vettel drive.  

Although not so much in this race where he was the only one responsible for a move more wreckless than Albon's :D

I bet Mercedes won't be pleased about the shots Sky got of their floor during Ted's Notebook!

• Upvote 1

Loved it. Kinda didn't really think it would happen at all this year, yet here we are, with a belter of an opening race for good measure. And there's another one in less than a week!

How's everyone doing so far in the fantasy formula? +121 points here. Bottas and Sainz* were the big earners for me.

*I picked him before it turned out he's a big racist.

10 hours ago, Dudley said:

Is that just 1 piece of paper?

The print quality is questionable, I'll hazard a guess that budget cuts much like the subject are responsible..... 

11 hours ago, Dudley said:

It's not "On" Albon as such, for me it's a 50/50 or at least enough the stewards can butt out.

But the reason people are being down on Albon is that he shouldn't have gone for that move at all at that point, he paniced.

You have to remember the situation, it's poor race craft.  He's got about 10 laps to go. He's got 2 cars to pass.  He's on the best tyres with a completely healthy car.  They're in cars that they have to baby and on old tyres.  He's going to have DRS for 8 of those laps, at least one application of comes after a corner where you can gain huge amounts by using the kerbs.

There is absolutely no reason to make that move then and the reason he did is immaturity.

The outcome itself is not on Albon, but he should not have put himself in that position, at that time.  If this had been a healthy merc and Red Bull for the lead, on the last lap, it'd be a very different situation.

I agree with this, and I think the stewards do to, and that's why it was only a 5 second penalty, which, on 99/100 race weekends would have meant absolutely nothing to Hamilton as he'd happily gap the car behind by 5 seconds.  Obviously the race turned into safety car carnage...

I quite like this approach to it, it's a non-contact sport after all, but they really shouldn't discourage good, hard racing, and such a small penalty at least allows Hamilton the chance to negate it.  It's also a penalty consistent with the rules, you must leave a cars width - consistency we really need from the FIA.  

Albon saw an opportunity and chose to take it in that split second.  Had he saw the moment perhaps as little as a second or 2 earlier, he'd be around the outside no issues.  It's a common overtaking spot, in fact in the F2 race it was referred to by the commentator as something similar to "the preferred overtaking spot around the outside" and Hamilton would have had more of a chance to see and avoid him. 

I think the days where you contact with another car and cause it to leave the track with no penalty are gone.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, beenabadbunny said:

Loved it. Kinda didn't really think it would happen at all this year, yet here we are, with a belter of an opening race for good measure. And there's another one in less than a week!

How's everyone doing so far in the fantasy formula? +121 points here. Bottas and Sainz* were the big earners for me.

*I picked him before it turned out he's a big racist.

Is that the Chinese restaurant thing?

I just think if you're Albon you gotta go for it. It worked out badly, but you don't know how fast Lewis can go once his tyres get up to temperature. This is a car that was 0.5 faster than anyone else on single lap pace in quali. And if you're Albon you know they have an issue but you haven't heard all the "this is critical" radio - you don't know how bad it actually was. I don't know what the engineer said to him, but it's not unlike Red Bull to give "alright let's get this pass done" messages to their drivers. Plus all the flack Gasly got for not being aggressive enough. Plus the pressure that comes from being Max's teammate. Also maybe another safety car comes at any moment, especially the way that race was going. He was a metre or two from not actually having passed Perez on the previous restart and having to pass him again. If he doesn't take the opportunity when it's there, there's plenty of risk of it not coming back.

• Upvote 2

I think Albon thought that he needed to make his new tyre advantage work for him as quickly as possible, which I understand. I feel that if he'd got jammed up behind Lewis for too much longer then he'd have lost the momentum. Plus, yeah - this is only his 22nd start. He'll learn :). Having watched it again several times I have revised my opinion to it being a pure racing incident. Lewis' penalty was probably a tad harsh.

Was properly gutted when the collision happened, though. Have heard from several people that Albon is one of the nicest drivers to work with on the grid, and he's definitely got a fair turn of pace too. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

Woah what?

9 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

4 minutes ago, mexos said:

Woah what?

He was doing some promo for Estrella Galicia a few months ago. The brief was essentially "tell us a funny story" and his best example was when he supposedly went to a restaurant in Shanghai, noticed a cat hanging around the restaurant, then it wasn't there any more, then his dinner came I WONDER WHERE THE CAT ENDED UP

More to the point he's an ultra-nationalist and his whole family has links to the far-right VOX party. It's basically like if George Russell voted BNP, probably.

Horner thinks Hamilton needs to change his approach

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/150373/horner-suggests-hamilton-needs-to-change-approach

And, in the wake of another collision the pair had in Brazil last year that Hamilton was also punished for, Horner suggests that Hamilton's approach needs questioning.

Asked by Autosport what advice he would give Albon about racing Hamilton in the future, Horner said: "Be careful!

"Alex didn't have the straight line speed, so he knew he had, with the grip advantage, to pass him in or out of a corner.

"As far as he was concerned, the job was done. He was starting to look down the road towards Valtteri [Bottas] when Lewis put a wheel on the inside.

Which I think is rubbish. The move wasn't done, Hamilton had left him a car's width and Albon had kerb drivers had been using all race to use to complete the pass, he just drove in Hamilton's wheel. If it had been Max in that situation I think he'd have passed Hamilton cleanly. These clashes with Albon are also the first Hamilton has had in a long time whereas Albon clumsily took Lando at Suzuka with an over optimistic move. 

Yeah that's just typical Horner shit-stirring I think. Uncalled for. But Horner's gonna Horner.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, beenabadbunny said:

Is everyone doing that for the mini season?

I set mine up ahead of Australia, never changed it and didn't have to reactivate it or otherwise intervene. I just logged in after yesterday's race and it had all been updated.

Slightly confusingly (for me at least), when you log in it appears to show everyone is on zero points - that's because it is already defaulting to a view of next week's race.

• Upvote 1

Andrew Benson's love affair with Hamilton continues, rather embarrassingly... 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/53299094

Usual claims of "Well, he is focusing on British drivers..." falls flat when a podium spot goes to Lando and there's bearly a mention. 

Benson's race write ups have been cringeworthy for years.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, englishbob said:

Andrew Benson's love affair with Hamilton continues, rather embarrassingly... 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/53299094

Usual claims of "Well, he is focusing on British drivers..." falls flat when a podium spot goes to Lando and there's bearly a mention. 

Benson's race write ups have been cringeworthy for years.

I mean it's not a total hagiography - he does blame Hamilton entirely for taking Albon out:

Hamilton's reckless lunge in Brazil last November deprived Albon of his first podium, and also earned a penalty, and now he has done it again.

(FWIW I think yesterday's was a pure racing incident, and I suspect it was only given as a penalty because of Brazil.)

Did I miss the Rokit sponsorship on the mercedes or has it gone down the same route of general shithousery as rich energy?

10 hours ago, marsh said:

Did I miss the Rokit sponsorship on the mercedes or has it gone down the same route of general shithousery as rich energy?

No deal signed yet.

The chances are it'll barely make the car if at all though.

Ocon is going to get the Stoffel treatment next season and Alonso will make the entire team miserable. Should be fun.

• Upvote 2

Renault branded deckchairs now available to pre order. ;)

In all seriousness, very happy to see him back.  Just hope he does not get stroppy again and ruin the atmos for Ocon. 

Looks like Vettel is screwed then for a 'competitive' seat.

download (1).jpg