rllmuk
Mr Tony

Formula One - 2020 - It's Race Week again! - British GP Live on C4

IndyCar is probably going to be cancelled as well. Rally Mexico will probably be the only racing taking place this weekend

16 minutes ago, LowCostMonkey said:

Ugh, I made the mistake of opening the comments.

Spoiler

Crazy decision. Snowflakes get their way far too often. Everyone back on the trains, planes, buses. Back to work. Unless the snowflakes want the economy to suffer, businesses go under, people lose jobs, more become homeless, people contract worse than corona and die.
Buuuuut, but, but we won’t burn harmful gases if everyone self isolates.
Give me a break!

People are dicks.

• Empathy 1

I just can't see it going ahead now at all. Madness that it got this far even.

I realise that there are more important thing happening right now, and it's 100% the right decision. What a bummer though :(. Was so looking forward to it.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

This would be a perfect opportunity to introduce E racing to everyone. How quick do you think they could set up an F1 series ?

Each team could have a set up in the factory and all the simulators linked up. We could take bets on how long it takes Redbull to complain everyone else is cheating :)

Literally already exists, so clearly they've marketed that one well.

• Upvote 2

Calling it off entirely is the right decision really, even if ignoring the health risks and just thinking about the racing. Making it a non-championship race would give all the other teams valuable testing which McLaren wouldn’t get, and would probably also involve a load of gamesmanship not quite resulting in a proper race anyway, with the title contenders not wanting to show their full hand in something which doesn’t count.

McLaren finally beat all the other teams to it.

Too soon?

Bad jokes aside, typical disorganised F1 mess with the announcement, let it leak and let all the news outlets fight to get it out there first leaving fans confused with no official words for hours...

What the fuck is going on in Australia.

All the Twitter journos are very upset at the handling of the situation. 

Less than two and a half hours until practice one, so there must be fans at the track and teams hard at work in the garages already, just in case it is still going ahead.

It’s not officially cancelled because they are fighting over who picks up the tab. Presume someone needs to blink first. 

23 minutes ago, MrPogo said:

Less than two and a half hours until practice one, so there must be fans at the track and teams hard at work in the garages already, just in case it is still going ahead.

Lots of fans milling about with all the gates closed.

Aaaand they’ve cancelled it. With two hours to go until FP1. Having thousands of spectators all crammed up together waiting at the gates to go in.

During a pandemic.

F1 is going to - rightfully - get the beating of its life over this.

• Upvote 3

Agreed. It's a mess. I think a week ago the position of holding it was just about tenable (but risky). But since then I think this decision could have been made. Maybe at least to go without fans.

Side stepping the teams and paddock the biggest problem and failing is probably on the Aus government here. This timing means they still have the impact of tens of thousands of fans coming to Melbourne and mingling (maybe less tightly without a race) and the probable surge in cases it will cause.

I'm lucky. This was just the last few days of a 7 week 'holiday' around NZ and Aus. So the loss of the race is annoying but l as so than fans who are here only for this.

I'm glad some random gentleman appropriated some official programmes from an empty corporate box yesterday and handed me one. I can read that to pass some time.

• Upvote 3

Looks kinda like they only cancelled when they did because their hand was forced; I saw Mercedes announced they were packing up and going home regardless five minutes before the race cancellation was announced.

The FIA and Formula 1 have really shown the world how pathetic they really are (though obviously the fans already knew that)

With no F1 for the foreseeable future ( I cannot see Bahrain happening even if it’s behind closed doors) it seems FOM have been slacking when it comes to copyright infringement on YouTube and someone has uploaded some full races if anyone is looking for something to pass the time.

Silverstone 2008

2008 China

2008 Spa

• Upvote 2

If anyone wants to go full retro, here's a large portion of the 1965 Monaco Grand Prix!

• Upvote 3

I'd defo rather watch the 1965 stuff than anything from 2008.  Those cars sure were hideous!

There's plenty of stuff like that too :) - here's the 1963 Dutch Grand Prix for example:

• Upvote 1

Bahrain and Vietnam postponed.

Championship now officially "expected to begin in Europe at the end of May 2020" - which would have to be 21-24 May in Monaco.

So all told, that means no Australia, Bahrain, Vietnam, China, Netherlands or Catalonia. So far.

1 hour ago, beenabadbunny said:

Championship now officially "expected to begin in Europe at the end of May 2020" - which would have to be 21-24 May in Monaco.

So all told, that means no Australia, Bahrain, Vietnam, China, Netherlands or Catalonia. So far.

If we can extend it so we skip the French Grand Prix that would be a bit of result for the fans at least. 

• Upvote 4

My guess is a compressed season from about August / Oct. 

Or a longer 2020 season that maybe has 1 or 2 races this year that rolls into 2021.

2021 regs will almost certainly be pushed back / scrapped to save some of the teams that may go under. We could be racing with this years cars for a few years. 

3 car teams will probably arrive. 

Races only at proper tracks - no street races. And no crowds. For ages.

• Upvote 1

F1 super season! Just like the WEC!!

Wait, don't do that, it's a really shit idea.

Joking aside, it's the right thing to do.

11 hours ago, beenabadbunny said:

Finally some good news!

This is the most unpredictable season of F1 of either the V8 or turbo hybrid era. 

Maybe the fantasy format should be changed:

Predict the first race of the year

How many races will there be in the season

How many drivers/team bosses will get Covid-19

• Upvote 3