rllmuk
Mr Tony

Formula One - 2020 - Championship Postponed

It seems to have become a somewhat more adhered-to gentleman's agreement of sorts over the past few years, but it's nothing new and unfortunately most of motorsport is lacking in gentlemen ;)

I mean, Toyota's cars for a few years were basically the previous year's Ferrari. Tyrrell's car in 1979 was almost identical to the Lotus 79. I'm fine with Racing Point doing what they have done, and will actually be pretty impressed if they manage to make it work to the extent they are threatening to - completely swapping car concept isn't exactly the work of a minute for engineers to wrap their heads around. Oh, plus I want Checo to get a win at some point. I feel he's earned it.

• Upvote 2

Indeed, it's not like we ever look back on the toyotas and go 'well they were remarkable!' you have to get it to work and that in itself can't be easy. Not very sporting? maybe, but then neither's a trick steering system.

3 hours ago, marsh said:

What's all the spite aimed at the pink mercedes? anyone could have gone and copied last years car and seen a significant gain in doing so, right?

Yeah there is some jealousy doing the rounds. Why the hell didn’t we do that!? It’s going to be major lols watching them make Ferrari sweat. Can’t wait.

Pastor won a race. Trump became president. Boris is our PM. Lance may win a race in 2020. 

backtothefuture_docbrown_alternatereality_chalkboard.jpg

• Upvote 2

FIA and Ferrari have both agreed to forget all about the dodgy 2019 engine because Ferrari have pinky sweared that it’ll be be different in 2020.

11 hours ago, Dudley said:

Oh yeah, F1 now is closer than it ever was, you don't even need to go that far back, let's choose another short track in 1992.

Which short track?

20 hours ago, kiroquai said:

Would that slowest car happen to be an Andrea Moda? :sherlock:

It was.  Moreno dragged that crate around in 1:38.  McCarthy did not post a time.

17 hours ago, marsh said:

What's all the spite aimed at the pink mercedes? anyone could have gone and copied last years car and seen a significant gain in doing so, right?

I guess another thing to consider is, did they copy it the way Toyota did.

Or did someone receive a brown envelope full of blueprints, or at least the technical version of that.  I'm always suspicious that Ferrari and Haas (or rather, Dallara) share a wind tunnel.

Anyone managed to start season two of Drive to Survive *without* jumping straight to Episode Seven (Ferrari...)

I'm just about to start on 5. Didn't even look at the listing to see what's coming up, I'll just take it as it comes.

That bit with Sweary Steiner in the second episode where he calls the drivers to his office after they took each other out was brilliant.

3 hours ago, footle said:

Anyone managed to start season two of Drive to Survive *without* jumping straight to Episode Seven (Ferrari...)

I went straight to Hockenheim. Mostly because I wanted to see if they used my video footage. 

They didn’t :(

Great episode though. 

• Empathy 1

I binged the whole lot and think this was a mistake... it has all blended into one slightly disappointing mess in my mind.

I enjoyed the first few episodes a lot, and was not irritated that much by the editing, but as it went on the time skips and moving things around to suit the 'narrative' irritated... as did the fake commentary.

The thing that REALLY irritated was the holding of a shot on someone smiling and then watching their face fade to insinuate nervousness or insincerity... but that is just what faces do if you hold a shot on them after the smile or whatever.

All in all it is good (I mean it is about speedy race cars so of course it is) but they have a few tricks they rely on too much imo... Also fuck working for Haas... most of these places seem like work place harassment suites waiting to happen!

on the off chance you are new to F1 then Danny (NoClip), Drew(clothmap and late of GiantBomb) and Rob(Waypoint)s podcast has the preseason primer up, which tries to be for those with no F1 history and explain the teams and cars a bit (with variable success!)  

https://www.f1.cool/

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Fake commentary? Wasn't it just Sky commentary?

Some sounded more like it was from F1 2019 "So here we are at the first race of the season" or some such, and later on with Sainz's drive there is some stuff about a podium not being likely when it was so unlikely in the best of circumstances I cannot believe that a commentator would have bothered speaking about it. And I was like FORESHADOWING!!!

A lot of it sounded less than impulsive to my ear, but maybe I just got the idea it was fake and so got 'sensitised' to it!

It’s definitely fake commentary, they’ve got Will Buxton to record some lines to fit the context of the episodes from the sounds of it. 

I just finished the lot like some fucking vanker. Now what the fuck I am I going to do till Melbourne. Oh yeah, watch it all again. :ph34r:

Not as good as S1. But still pretty damn good. Big grin on my face during the Gasly episode. I’m a fan. I’d love him to do well this year. Fingers crossed we get a championship.

Watched the first two eps last night. I really like Guenther Steiner but they're not really the 'rock n roll' team they claim to be are they. Bankrolled by a Yank with no real interest in the sport other than the advertising potential it carries and happy to accept cash from that odd bearded crook.

Lots of guys in F1 come across really well, Christian Horner I always find myself warming to, but again the whole team is just a sponsorship exercise. Aside from Williams are there any constructors currently involved who aren't just in it to push their brand?

The footage of the cars is amazing on Netflix, it looks really fast and violent. I also really like seeing it without the constant wall of noise from the commentary, unlike on the live broadcasts. The commentary really punctuates the footage here instead of giving me a headache. 

• Upvote 2

Well F1's Netflix marketing has worked. Binged my way through season 1 a couple of weeks ago and now season 2 has been knocked out too. So uh.... I feel like I've caught up with the soap opera, how do I go about watching the races these days? Is it Sky only?

• Upvote 1

On 29/02/2020 at 18:21, fragglerock said:

on the off chance you are new to F1 then Danny (NoClip), Drew(clothmap and late of GiantBomb) and Rob(Waypoint)s podcast has the preseason primer up, which tries to be for those with no F1 history and explain the teams and cars a bit (with variable success!)  

https://www.f1.cool/

One for @merman there then!

13 hours ago, Danster said:

Well F1's Netflix marketing has worked. Binged my way through season 1 a couple of weeks ago and now season 2 has been knocked out too. So uh.... I feel like I've caught up with the soap opera, how do I go about watching the races these days? Is it Sky only?

Yes.

Legally anyway.

Anyone in here ever been to Monza? Been looking at tickets (despite Coronovirus hysteria) as me and the gf went to Hungary last year and it was excellent. Any tips/advice? Looks kinda difficult to get as good of a seat as T1 Hungaroring but was considering either side of the first chicane.

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

Yes.

Legally anyway.

Thanks, are there free to air highlights?

Watched the Netflix episode about Gasley and it is clear that he had to be taken out of that car as much for himself as the team, he was broken and something had to be done.  Hopefully the 2nd place at Brazil will let him put it behind him.

3 hours ago, Danster said:

Thanks, are there free to air highlights?

C4 I believe but Sky are utter bitches about the rights, insisting they use less than half of the runtime of the highlights show on race footage for instance.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Dudley said:

C4 I believe but Sky are utter bitches about the rights, insisting they use less than half of the runtime of the highlights show on race footage for instance.

It's worse than that. Sky actually choose and put the footage together for them. C4 also can't show it before 4 hours after the GP unless they have Skys permission. There's a bunch of other terms attached to it too.

• Upvote 1