rllmuk
Soulstar

Retro Game Club - February 20’ : Green Beret aka Rush n' Attack

26 minutes ago, Camel said:

Played the Spectrum version for a bit on my Next. Absolutely loved this game back in the day but just find it really frustrating now :(

the speccy version  still plays fantastically well

Fuck this fucking bullshit.

Played this via MAME for about an hour last night and got as far as the missile truck things twice. Other than that I just died a lot. Like A LOT. It's hard to the point where I really couldn't see the fun in it 

• Upvote 1

I like the setting and graphics in this - really captures the cliché of a Soviet base.

I've always been crap at the game, though, and revisiting it this month I found it fiddly and not much fun.

This has always been hard as nails. I still remember playing the C64 port back in the day thinking "hang on, they're only giving me a knife for the mission? Who did I piss off at HQ?"

It was the Dark Souls of it's day. It's doable but it involves target prioritisation and being able to hold on to one of the special weapons until the end of the level. Staying still is certain death.

I dragged out the DS version today, a port (or emulation) by M2 and it's hard, especially on the tiny screen. It's not the way I'd recommend playing it with a fair bit of shimmer due to the difference in screen resolution.

002983s003.jpg

Edit. Weirdly enough I remembered I had the Gameboy Advance Konami collection and for some reason the Gameboy Advance one is the better choice if you have a plain DS! It's either a port or they've zoomed the view in. Jump has it's own button rather than up as well! (And if you use the Konami code it has a couple of levels from the NES version which I will never be good enough to see.)

Edited by Unofficial Who
  • Upvote 1

There's loads of versions as can be seen here.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/rush-n-attack/

My favourite is the C64 port with it's chunky sprites and super smooth scrolling.

The Spectrum version isn't my thing but the sprite work here is lovely. Also horizontal scrolling rather than push scrolling!

I've had a quick try of the Amstrad version and...oh no. Drab, not as responsive as the previous two and .... push scrolling.

• Upvote 1

I can see this being a fun, challenging game, but after Castlevania IV and Shadow Dancer, I'm burned out. I got as far as the end of the second stage, but that was as far as I was prepared to go.

It's a shame, because the presentation is great. I like the setting, and the soundtrack is really good. It shouldn't be a surprise, but it reminds me a lot of Mr Goemon, which Konami released the following year.

Quick heads up, the next month’s poll is up. Seems to have slipped down but I put it up yesterday. It ends on Sunday so it’s not up as long as I usually have it on for. 

• Upvote 1

On 01/02/2020 at 14:09, Nathan Wind said:

I was a huge fan of the brutally difficult Amstrad version of Green Beret despite that horrible push scrolling.  It was one of those games I was too young to be any good at, so never really got very far with it but I just loved playing it anyway.

Same. I always thought it was quite a brutal game in both senses - difficulty-wise, and also you know...flamethrower and knife-wise.

• Upvote 2

On 28/02/2020 at 06:50, DeDeDe said:

I can see this being a fun, challenging game, but after Castlevania IV and Shadow Dancer, I'm burned out. I got as far as the end of the second stage, but that was as far as I was prepared to go.

It's funny that you mention those two, because I think Green Beret might possibly be the first side scrolling platform "kill em up". The formula was definitely improved upon (extra button for jump was one of them), but the whole run to the right killing realistic enemies, typically two platforms on the screen so you can move between the two, pick up a super weapon that clears multiple enemies on the screen, I think was started by Green Beret. I remember there was a lot of controversy around the Imagine conversion due to the American version being called "Rush n Attack" and it essentially involved you killing Russian soldiers instead of just zapping aliens. 

Shinobi, Shadow Dancer, Bad Dudes v Dragon Ninja, Castlevania IV, Robocop, Sly Spy all owe a big debt to Green Beret!

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, gone fishin' said:

It's funny that you mention those two, because I think Green Beret might possibly be the first side scrolling platform "kill em up". The formula was definitely improved upon (extra button for jump was one of them), but the whole run to the right killing realistic enemies, typically two platforms on the screen so you can move between the two, pick up a super weapon that clears multiple enemies on the screen, I think was started by Green Beret. I remember there was a lot of controversy around the Imagine conversion due to the American version being called "Rush n Attack" and it essentially involved you killing Russian soldiers instead of just zapping aliens. 

Shinobi, Shadow Dancer, Bad Dudes v Dragon Ninja, Castlevania IV, Robocop, Sly Spy all owe a big debt to Green Beret!

and metal slug 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, gone fishin' said:

Its just an evolution of games like Kung-Fu Master though surely. 

Sigh...I just got Rush'n = Russian play on words. Always though it was a strange name.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gordzilla said:

Sigh...I just got Rush'n = Russian play on words. Always though it was a strange name.

idiotic eureka moment :) 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Gordzilla said:

:blink2:

Loaded up the BBC version of this tonight as I was messing around with the Beeb core on my Next. Eesh.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

I loved the programmer art there. "Can't find way to draw missile trucks and rocket launchers in the background, I'll just replace them with quaint cabins."