rllmuk
Soulstar

Retro Game Club - February 20’ : Green Beret aka Rush n' Attack

This month is quite special because it marks a whole year that the Retro Game Club thing has existed right back when @Ninja Doctor kick off with the first thread with Link's Awakening. I thought I'd see if I could try and continue it on each month and hopefully many of you have enjoyed taking part, even if it's only for some of the month's selections. To commemorate the progress of the year, I've linked back to every thread over the previous 11 months so. 

green_beret_fenix_remake_01.png

Green Beret

This time it looks like we had quite a mix in decisions across the board and while I initially was planning to choose Mario, I decided to vote for something I didn't know much about (Action in New York) although that turned out to be the only game with no other votes other than myself. Anyway the winning game Green Beret was chosen and was going to by my second choice so I'm happy to see it make it through. I tried to insert an image of the poll but the forum wasn't for having it. 17 voted and of those, 5 voted the winning game. 

Now I personally know nothing about it, and have only ever heart the title mentioned in here a few times in the past but it's a multi-platform run and gun style action game. 

I'm going to assume most people know the NES game or the C64 title. There are plenty of options with this one and after quickly looking at the Arcade earlier, I thought the NES game across better as far as the sound goes. 

So who's playing this month then?

Retro Game Club Historic Threads 

This time it looks like we had quite a mix in decisions across the board and while I initially was planning to choose Mario, I decided to vote for something I didn't know much about (Action in New York) although that turned out to be the only game with no other votes other than myself. Anyway the winning game Green Beret was chosen and was going to by my second choice so I'm happy to see it make it through. I tried to insert an image of the poll but the forum wasn't for having it. 17 voted and of those, 5 voted the winning game. 

Now I personally know nothing about it, and have only ever heart the title mentioned in here a few times in the past but it's a multi-platform run and gun style action game. 

latest?cb=20190818001527

a0d582a8cba1d21369c9ac3a5473dea5.jpg

I'm going to assume most people know the NES game or the C64 title. There are plenty of options with this one and after quickly looking at the Arcade earlier, I thought the NES game across better as far as the sound goes. 

So who's playing this month then?

Edited by Soulstar
  • Upvote 5

I've no idea how on earth to remove the content at the bottom of the spoiler. It's like I can't select it at all. 

Good choice, but that screen shot looks like it comes from a more modern re-interpretation of it!

Here's the original arcade game

The Spectrum version was always a big hit for me when I was growing up, written by the very talented Jonathan Smith and was totally typical of that era of Ocean/Imagine games.

There's also the little known sequel, MIA Missing in Action, that's definitely worth playing

I was a huge fan of the brutally difficult Amstrad version of Green Beret despite that horrible push scrolling.  It was one of those games I was too young to be any good at, so never really got very far with it but I just loved playing it anyway.

• Upvote 1

I loved this on the ZX Spectrum, and also remember the arcade very well too!

it will be interesting to see the nes game, which I picked up but haven’t played yet. 

Love Green Beret. Both Spectrum and C64 games are great. I remember the C64 version having space bar for switching weapons though and I've always struggled with games that combine joystick and keyboard. I've never found the foot on space bar or second joystick workarounds satisfactory. Arcade version is on XBL. I'll probably play the NES version.

EDIT: oh yeah and the MSX version is famously terrible

I never ended up getting chance to play Shadow Dancer as I’ve been hooked on Bloodstained most of Jan so decided to not take part. Might try and get the NES version of this though. 

This is a fave of the young me. I remember it was in the local community centre at one stage (where I also was first exposed to the joys of Choplifter, Bombjack, Amidar, King Fu Master and and Xevious) and I instantly loved it despite being awful at it. Back then I could only just scrape onto the 2nd level and even then it was only after watching better players tackling the end of the first stage. 

Since then I've owned the C64 version, the Ds version (as part of Konami Classics, and the Xbox 360 edition and although I have never finished it, I'm a lot more accomplished than used to be.

Time to dig it out again and see if I can finally master it. 

• Upvote 1

I remember putting some coins into this in the game room of a pub whilst on holiday, must’ve been about 8. Still scarred by how brutally hard it was, think I lasted about 20 seconds.

I think I’ll try the arcade version and see if it’s still as brutal :)

• Upvote 2

It's very much a pattern based game. Get the sequences figured out and the movements of the different enemies. Use the ladders and tiers to your advantage and don't forget to utilise your special weapons as they are in plenty supply. One final piece of advice is watch out for the landmines! 

• Upvote 1

Well just gave this a shot on the Xbox 360 along with my 10 year old daughter. She being a product of modern gaming found it nigh on impossible and got about 3 screens forward. I managed to get around half way through stage 2 until the combined assault of the jumping and parachute guys. 

One of the genuinely difficult elements of this game is the controls. Using up for jump and to go up ladders causes all sorts of problems and the only way you can ensure safety is STAYING AWAY FROM LADDERS during combat. I tend to duck while attacking as you can remain still for accuracy.

Other than that the other thing to be mindfull of is that the enemies never stop until you get till the end of the level so if you want to make progress you have to push forwards. 

This takes me back to a holiday camp arcade in the mid 80s. Doubt I ever got past 1st level. 

in late 80s I got it for the C64 in the Konami Arcade Collection compilation. Once again I doubt I saw level 2.

Green Beret... I think I first played this in a pub that shared a car park with a bingo hall on the Isle of Wight.

might fire up the modded Xbox and see what’s what...

(combat school and hyper sports, on a cross channel ferry, came later)

2 hours ago, Wonderm said:

Up to jump! 

I just came back to post that

17 hours ago, Skull Commander said:

I tend to duck while attacking as you can remain still for accuracy.

And that.

So I take it this was one that a lot of you played originally in the arcade? Nobody mentioned the NES conversion which surprised me but then we had more computer conversions and master system owners in the UK. Going to assume that’s the reason maybe. I shudder at the thought of returning to a platform with up for jump. 

I tried the NES version earlier today. The sprites seem bigger, but lack animation.

Arcade

23D61CB3-9732-48F2-B6FA-BBD7EED788AA.thumb.jpeg.c8082c9bc21eb61fbb8c6f592e159e5e.jpeg

NES

6742B275-CEF0-4DCF-A54C-870EAA93B5F8.thumb.jpeg.e7393e85e5da9c792589a4e996fd0007.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Had a few goes on the Xbox Live Arcade version of this today and whilst it’s hard, it’s not as bad as I remember it. 

That said, I still can’t get past Stage 2 - though I don’t think I ever actually made it that far before. 

I would agree that a reasonable part of the difficulty comes from the controls. Up to jump is just such a weird anachronism these days and it takes a fair bit of getting used to. 

The jumping guys killed me the first few times at end of first stage and then I died to another new enemy type (paratrooper) middle of stage 2. I’ll have another crack tomorrow.

I’m hoping to have a go on the C64 version at some point this week also.

10 hours ago, Wonderm said:

Up to jump! 

Christ this is hard 

It’s not too bad in this game 

try up to jump in rainbow islands! 

3 minutes ago, ulala said:

It’s not too bad in this game 

try up to jump in rainbow islands! 

not so bad, given it’s a vertical scroller. Also, pretty sure I played a version or two that let you assign it to a button*

* may have been something else

15 hours ago, Alshie said:

Had a few goes on the Xbox Live Arcade version of this today and whilst it’s hard, it’s not as bad as I remember it. 

That said, I still can’t get past Stage 2 - though I don’t think I ever actually made it that far before. 

I would agree that a reasonable part of the difficulty comes from the controls. Up to jump is just such a weird anachronism these days and it takes a fair bit of getting used to. 

The jumping guys killed me the first few times at end of first stage and then I died to another new enemy type (paratrooper) middle of stage 2. I’ll have another crack tomorrow.

The GBA version has a button to jump.

I can get through to the camp on the zx spectrum game quite easily now, but by that time my hands are cramping up from the keyboard!

edit - just completed it!

its a really nice spectrum game, that's so suited to the machine. Great stuff.

• Upvote 2

I played so, so much of the Amstrad version of this back in the day.

Will have to give it some time this month (though I'm sure my skills will have... rusted... somewhat given it'd have to be 30 years and change since I last tried it.)

After clocking the spectrum version, ive moved onto the nes. The ports are very different.

In the NES version:

You are not trying to "rescue the captives"!

The sprites are smaller which gives you more time to react to enemies coming in off screen.

There is no sound for the jumping enemies, which was a boon on the speccy. 

There are no shooting enemies on the first level

On the second level, which is unique to the nes, shooting enemies appear - but unlike the spectrum they stay on screen and can reverse course. Much harder.

Is a lot more difficult, cannot get past level 2 so far

• Upvote 3

Played the Spectrum version for a bit on my Next. Absolutely loved this game back in the day but just find it really frustrating now :(