Best New Music 2020

12 hours ago, ngchol said:

Hi everyone, I just wanted to let you know that I've put the 2020 poll list thread up - please do vote, even if it's only for one album :wub:

As ever, thanks for organising this. :)

Managed to listen to all sorts of things this year due to staying on top of my Twitter list of followed artists/labels/DJs and also the Spotify weekly playlists - the only slight upset to my personal listing was that Major Lazer had a new album this year and I was expecting good things after their last one... but it just didn’t do anything for me. :( Maybe next time...

I've been really looking forward to this one. Thoroughly enjoyable album from Kon and Ben Westbeech as The Vision. References disco, soul, bit of jazz-funk and heaven help us, even a whiff of acid jazz. Some properly brilliant song writing and the production is flawless too. Not exactly breaking any new ground, but there's definitely place for a tight 45 minute album of great craftsmanship. 

21 hours ago, ngchol said:

Hi everyone, I just wanted to let you know that I've put the 2020 poll list thread up - please do vote, even if it's only for one album :wub:

I love/hate this time of year, it's always so hard picking a top ten, then I hear stuff later that I wish I'd have included, like Pale Waves' album in 2018

I nearly posted a OPN track at the weekend but forgot to do so. While I don't think he will ever top "Replica", his new album is pretty good. The last album was hard for me to bother with, he has started singing over his music, badly, but I think this album it seems to fit a bit better.

This track would be a number 1 if it was recorded by just about anyone else. 

On 12/11/2020 at 21:18, ngchol said:

Think I know most of mine but will wait a bit longer as you never know what might come along between now and December :)

18 hours ago, englishbob said:

I nearly posted a OPN track at the weekend but forgot to do so. While I don't think he will ever top "Replica", his new album is pretty good. The last album was hard for me to bother with, he has started singing over his music, badly, but I think this album it seems to fit a bit better.

This track would be a number 1 if it was recorded by just about anyone else. 

Love No Nightmares! My favourite of his is R Plus 7, and I think that remains his most consistent LP. Thing with Oneohtrix is that, yeah, his music is fucking hard-going at times, but it's always such interesting art.

18 hours ago, Shoes said:

Love No Nightmares! My favourite of his is R Plus 7, and I think that remains his most consistent LP. Thing with Oneohtrix is that, yeah, his music is fucking hard-going at times, but it's always such interesting art.

He’s one of those artists who has always eluded me, on paper he should be right up my street but I’ve always bounced off his work. 

Lopatin could've released nothing since Eccojams and Returnal in 2010 and his influence would still be all over the last decade. That he's continued to push himself into different sounds is to his credit. 

R Plus Seven is the one I return to most, though, then Replica and Garden of Delete. I guess Age of... was a bit patchy but 'We'll Take It' is one of the best things he's done. It's like some horrible industrial summoning ritual.

Ah fuck it, here’s my favourite records this year - posted the top 10 in the voting thread, ain’t nothing gonna come out between now and the end of the year to touch that for me.

01 - The Soft Pink Truth - Shall We Go On Sinning So That Grace May Increase?

02 - Beatrice Dillon - Workaround

03 - Minor Science - Second Language

04 - Daniel Avery - Love + Light

05 - Ase Manual - Black Liquid Electronics

06 - Nicolas Jaar - Cenizas

07 - Actress- Karma & Desire

08 - Theo Parrish - Wuddaji

09 - Kelly Lee Owens - Inner Song

10 - AceMoMA - A New Dawn

11 - Andrea - Ritorno

12 - Sonic Boom - All Things Being Equal

13 - SUUNS - FICTION - EP

14 - Isola - Ep1

15 - Zombies In Miami - 2712

16 - Sam Prekof - Comma

17 - Against All Logic - 2017 - 2019

18 - Aleksi Perälä - Spectrum (volumes 0 - 7)

19 - Aleksi Perälä - Oscillation parts 1 & 2

20 - Rival Consoles - Articulation

Daniel Avery has released a new single Into The Arms Of Stillness which features on the Love + Light album, there’s also a version with someone speaking (in French) over it, and this, a brand new song, and rather lovely.

Quality Techno/Electro from Gnork. The Lost in X (Earth Plates) EP came out at the start of the year. The remix of CT Kidobo is more recent. His sound has all the things I like - lush pads, acid squelches, classic breakbeats and 808s. Definitely check out last year's Earth Plates Vol.1 EP for more of the same.

https://blorpmusic.bandcamp.com/album/gnork-lost-in-x-earth-plates

https://blorpmusic.bandcamp.com/track/b2-asymmetrical-ingroup-bias-gnork-remix

Anyone been listening to Bartees Strange’s album Live Forever? I’ve been getting into it recently - reminds me a bit of prime TV On The Radio, a bit of Jeff Buckley, but it’s really its own thing, kicks like a fucking mule too. 

An album I got earlier in the year but didn’t give nearly enough love to, Mirage by Ben Lukas Boysen, absolutely superb - any Jon Hopkins and Rival Consoles fans you owe it to yourself to listen to this record :) 

Sublime (although this version is heavily edited - need to listen to the album version to get the full majesty of it, cool visuals though)

I've just been through all the new albums I've listened to this year and put together a top 10 for the voting thread. But there were a few others that didn't quite make it but which I really like so it seems only fair to post up the shortlist here.

01 - Sløtface - Sorry for the Late Reply

02 - Alanis Morissette - Such Pretty Forks in the Road

03 - Smoke Fairies - Darkness Brings the Wonders Home

04 - Pillow Queens - In Waiting

05 - Soccer Mommy - color theory

06 - The Beths - Jump Rope Gazers

07 - Dream Nails - Dream Nails

08 - The Big Moon - Walking Like We Do

09 - Lauren Ruth Ward - Vol II

10 - The Orielles - Disco Volador

11 - Polly Scattergood - In This Moment

12 - Bryde - The Volume of Things

13 - Laura Veirs - My Echo

14 - Nova Twins - Who Are the Girls?

15 - Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher

16 - AC/DC - Power Up

17 - Rews - Warriors

18 - A.A. Williams - Forever Blue

19 - James Dean Bradfield - Even In Exile

That AC/DC album, which must surely be their last, is miles better than it has any right to be.

On 13/11/2020 at 19:07, Art Vandelay said:

I've been really looking forward to this one. Thoroughly enjoyable album from Kon and Ben Westbeech as The Vision. References disco, soul, bit of jazz-funk and heaven help us, even a whiff of acid jazz. Some properly brilliant song writing and the production is flawless too. Not exactly breaking any new ground, but there's definitely place for a tight 45 minute album of great craftsmanship. 

Stuck this on in the car the other day and my missus likes it too, really nice , upbeat album.

On 24/11/2020 at 16:05, Stanley said:

Anyone been listening to Bartees Strange’s album Live Forever? I’ve been getting into it recently - reminds me a bit of prime TV On The Radio, a bit of Jeff Buckley, but it’s really its own thing, kicks like a fucking mule too. 

This is straight up excellent, stuck it on last week and have had it on at least once a day since. Cheers for the heads up!

On 01/12/2020 at 12:16, lolly said:

Stuck this on in the car the other day and my missus likes it too, really nice , upbeat album.

Glad you liked it! I've had it on a few times since this and think I probably undersold it a bit. It gets better with each listen and there's some real warmth in there. Would have been much easier to churn out a revivalist disco album like everyone has done but this is much better than that. The artwork is class too so I might treat myself.