Current-Gen Remakes of the Future

I think a PS5 remaster of Bloodborne is inevitable.

Batman Arkham trilogy are crying out for a remake on modern Unreal. Just bringing the resolution and character model detail up to modern standards would be fine.

The Last Guardian getting the SOTC remaster treatment would be nice.

The Stalker games would be difficult to update because they're made on a weird engine (XRay) plus I believe there's legal issues with the IP. We can expect more Metro games for years though.

"Have we reached a point with the tech/BC focus where the remaster is all but irrelevant?" No. People are just very bad at anticipating what will be possible with next gen hardware.

"Given the extra oomph added by the PS Pro and XB1X hardware, it seems likely that additional enhancements will be patched in to the existing software rather than the game being rebuilt." Oh right this is what people mean. I dunno really. Some games will probably get upgraded in place, some will find a way to justify selling a new version. The games-as-a-service revolution hasn't stopped Ubisoft and EA stamping out full priced yearly releases of their cash cows. Millions of people bought GTA5 and Last of Us a year apart on different gens.

"But I think significantly beefier hardware could really improve the feeling of being in a living, breathing world. It’s something that it’s pretty great at anyway, but imagine Hyrule with greater quantities and diversity of flora and fauna. Depicted with less pop-in and greater persistence." - A version of BOTW with the sort of procedural scenery tech Guerrilla used in HZD and Death Stranding would definitely get me to buy it again. Plus if we have huge fast storage the world could be much more persistent as well. No more blood moons when the game runs out of memory to track objects.

On 29/01/2020 at 21:41, JoeK said:

Lords of Midnight and/or Doomdark's Revenge. 

And then finish it all with a proper Eye of the Moon in there too.

Also, Hungry Horace.

Your wish good sir...

...and would you like them for free?

https://www.pcgamer.com/au/classic-strategy-rpg-the-lords-of-midnight-is-free-on-gog/

While GOG dropped the Good Old Games moniker a long time ago, it's still very much in the business of game preservation, hence why you can find the likes of Mike Singleton's 1984 classic, The Lords of Midnight. It's a piece of videogame history which, along with its sequel, you can now grab for free. 

GOG added The Lords of Midnight to its catalogue back in 2013, so maybe you've already picked it up, but if not you can snatch both of them up right now without spending a penny.

YZTPCX63joaMDjGXx2NKy3-970-80.jpg

I think BoTW is potentially the most overrated game of all time. I liked it. But would replay it now that I know all the puzzle solutions? Probably not. Dark souls is more replayable in my opinion due to the multiple builds etc. 

3 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

Your wish good sir...

...and would you like them for free?

https://www.pcgamer.com/au/classic-strategy-rpg-the-lords-of-midnight-is-free-on-gog/

YZTPCX63joaMDjGXx2NKy3-970-80.jpg

Hee-Hee!

I was just coming in to post that :p . 

Strangely enough I've had these for a long time - when he first started to convert the thing to running on a PC way back in the mid 90s I think. There's still a lovely charm to the imagery.

On 03/02/2020 at 15:46, Oz said:

I think BoTW is potentially the most overrated game of all time. I liked it. But would replay it now that I know all the puzzle solutions? Probably not. Dark souls is more replayable in my opinion due to the multiple builds etc. 

I don't think it's overrated but I agree with that criticism. I've had no compulsion to go back to it after finishing it. I worry that the sequel be more like an expansion pack - unless they really go out of their way to come up with loads of new simulation stuff to discover and play with. A massive part of the fun of BOTW was going in not knowing at all what to expect.