Keeping Track of Upcoming Games

It’s neither exhaustive nor without error but Game’s coming soon page is pretty useful. Every now and then, l’ll pop on there and have a look and then just make a note of what’s coming out when on the notes app on my phone. 

https://www.game.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/mHubArticleView?hubId=690759&articleId=690760&catalogId=10201&langId=44&storeId=10151&cm_mn=MobileTopNav-_-ComingSoon-_-Main

I'm with the OP here. The retail websites are only useful for physical releases on the whole though. For this reason I often have a Steam wishlist of c. 200 titles just as a way of remembering them when I see trailers, early looks etc. PS4 has no easy wishlist system on the console unfortunately. 

AAA stuff will come to me, I don't need to remember that, while the chances of my buying damn near anything on release are so low, it doesn't make a difference if I miss that window. I use a Steam wishlist for stuff I probably want to play at some point, just not right now, or for interesting looking indies that I'm bound to forget, but otherwise I just go with the flow.

5 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Gamesradar is pretty good and updated frequently 

https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/video-game-release-dates/

Yeah, I use this. One of the most complete listings you'll find.

The problem these days is that a lot of indie games are released at short notice. There actually aren't a lot of firm release dates around beyond the next month or so.

5 hours ago, minstrels said:

I'm a subscriber to Wireframe, and almost every issue I find myself going "oh, that looks interesting" about some indie game only to completely forget about it. Does anyone else do this?

So how do we all keep track of upcoming games?

I keep a google sheet populated with a list of games with colums against whether I own them or not yet, if I've completed them and how long it took me to complete vs the average of howlongtobeat.    I think howlongtobeat website has this feature is you sign up but I wanted something a little bit more platform neutral (as neutral as it can be being google I guess!). I used to just update a note on my iphone but it got cumbersome.  

Works fairly well for me. I just stick down what looks really interesting and then just keep an eye out for it in sales.

Yes I'm afraid so. You can 'link' (or it checks) your PSN/Xbox profiles in order to allow you to sync your played games. Sections for backlog, archive and wishlist too - seems to log UK release dates as an option when you add a title too. The paid for element just allows different icon sizes and banner/poster images (but I quite like the poser art view).

23 hours ago, Kryptonian said:

Can you make something to compile from different sources @minstrels? I’m not sure how or what it’d look like but I have faith in you :) 

I'm thinking of building something, tailored to my needs. Maybe some sort of personalized calendar where you can see at a glance what's coming out in a given month that you're interested in and what it would all cost you? Imagine if you could then link that up to your Monzo account and with the push of a button allocate the money into a specific pot... Probably a step too far!

23 hours ago, MattKB said:

I’ve started adding upcoming stuff I’m interested in to the GameTrack app on iOS: 

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/gametrack/id1136800740

It’s free and pretty decent. 

That looks absolutely brilliant and would be perfect if it wasn't iOS only. It appears to be developed by one guy as well so the chances of an Android version are probably pretty slim.

Cheers for all the recommendations, folks!

23 hours ago, MattKB said:

I’ve started adding upcoming stuff I’m interested in to the GameTrack app on iOS: 

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/gametrack/id1136800740

It’s free and pretty decent. 

I could see something like that ending up causing me a lot of stress, seems like it would be quite easy to get sucked down into an OCD loop and spending more time obsessing over ownership, making sure I’d collected everything in the list and that they’d been completed; then adding more games, rinse/repeat. 

I find the watch list on the Switch eShop hard enough. Probably better I not feed the beast. 

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, minstrels said:

Just finished up the basic functionality for the web app version of this. It's a bit basic but that's deliberate, I'm keen to keep it very simple. Going to spend the next wee while refining it before I put it online. A native mobile app will be coming soon, too!

https://mobile.twitter.com/micmcgrorty/status/1237869295964577793

Well done what sources are you using to collate your data?

The native mobile app version of this is almost done as well. If anybody wants to try it out give me a shout and I can send over the file.

There's a small bug to work out and then I'll be looking at doing a Play/App store release.

13 hours ago, minstrels said:

There doesn't seem to be much interest in this, but here's a Dropbox link to the first Android version. iOS should follow in a day or two.

Would appreciate some people giving it a go and letting me know their opinion. :)

Link

I've downloaded and set up the app. Two small things I've noticed.

1) When searching for a title it would be nice if you could search for the title by pressing done/return, rather than having to click on GO everytime. 

2) Once you have a list of games, could the text about the game be hidden and only shown if you tap on the name of the game? 

I like the idea of the app and will keep using it. 

17 hours ago, minstrels said:

There doesn't seem to be much interest in this, but here's a Dropbox link to the first Android version. iOS should follow in a day or two.

Would appreciate some people giving it a go and letting me know their opinion. :)

Link

I'm interested but sorry really busy with work at the moment & worrying about the coronavorus has reduce my time to read the forum.

I'm on iOS.