rllmuk
Horribleman

Folky rock with close vocal harmonies

Get some bluegrass in your life! It's not exactly rock, but it sure is some shit-kickin' music.

Failing that, you could probably do worse than someone like Bonnie Rait, who kind of straddles a rather thin line between country/rock/bluegrass fairly well.

However, I'm old so don't necessarily give me any credence...

• Upvote 2

Not quite what you asked for but here are a few things I like. Grant Lee Buffalo? Fuzzy is one of my favourite albums of the 90s, chock full of loveliness, but the rest of the albums are great too (Michael Stipe quoted them as his fave band around then IIRC) This is just sublime:

This is too:

The Decemberists? All over the place genre-wise, but there's some top folky stuff in there (I've linked to this because I love the tall tale element of some of their songs):

If I'm after nice mellow music I'll often put on Nina Nastasia:

• Upvote 1

On 24/01/2020 at 21:52, Horribleman said:

I'm looking for something like America but a bit less cheesy. Nice, easy listening but with fantastic songwriting and performances.

My go-to for this sort of thing at the moment is Midlake:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midlake

Changed singer after the first three albums, the best of which was The Trials of Van Occupanther, but the first album without that singer, Antiphon, is also pretty great. It's really mellow, but has some rockier prog moments too.

Some favourite tracks:

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

My go-to for this sort of thing at the moment is Midlake:

Never heard of them before and they are great tracks, thanks for posting that.

• Upvote 1

Would posting a link to my own band be unutterably crass? I'm doing it anyway, shameless self-publicist as I am.

We generally fit the description of 'folky rock with close vocal harmonies,' so please enjoy :)

• Upvote 2