rllmuk
Benny

The Official Rllmuk Games of the Decade - Complete

Which Gaming Decade Was Your Favourite?  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If anyone's interested in seeing how the results for each year have changed since the original annual polls, I've updated my post on the first page with all the then/now comparisons:

Fantastic, a deserved winner. 

Thanks to Benny for being the grump that gives. ;)

And anyone else who helped too, of course.

Elite Dangerous was robbed.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Nick R said:

If anyone's interested in seeing how the results for each year have changed since the original annual polls, I've updated my post on the first page with all the then/now comparisons;

A small note if you want to compare the 2015 and 2017 results more directly to the games of the decade: if I had counted Yakuza 0 as a 2017 game instead it would have made Splatoon the 5th game in 2015, with everything moved up one, and in 2017 Yakuza 0 would have been 4th, pushing Prey off the top 5.

Also, Hollow Knight didn't really get recognised in the game of the year awards until 2018, but if it actually had been a 2018 game it would have beaten Astro Bot in these recent top 5s.

Also @Nick R I see what you did there but 2019 in the Games of the Decade top 5 is definitely different to the Game of the Year top 5 :ph34r:

13 minutes ago, Benny said:

Also @Nick R I see what you did there but 2019 in the Games of the Decade top 5 is definitely different to the Game of the Year top 5 :ph34r:

Fixed!

9 hours ago, Danster said:

Elite Dangerous was robbed.

Nah, despite it having shooty shooty spaceships in space, it's still an incredibly niche game. Name me another game where it's not just suggested, but recommended you have another form of entertainment to hand (netflix, audiobook, etc.) when playing?  I'm just glad it got in at all. :)

Ooooh, that top three though.

Shame about red dead 2. Not that people enjoyed it and voted for it, it’s just a shame it’s such shite.

• Upvote 3

Yes I think it’s pretty telling that after little more than a year since release and being hailed by many at the time as a masterpiece Red Dead 2 didn’t even make our top ten. Technically it’s a thing of wonderment, but structurally and functionally it’s a fucking mess. 

There's a lot to like in the game, but it never ever deserved the 10/10 ratings it got from the media at release. It's a 7/10 game with 10/10 graphics. Wireframe at least got its review right. :)

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

There's a lot to like in the game, but it never ever deserved the 10/10 ratings it got from the media at release. It's a 7/10 game with 10/10 graphics. Wireframe at least got its review right. :)

Are we talking about BotW now?

;)

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

I'm not sure how much I'd extrapolate the Rllmuk games of the decade out into the wider world considering the placement of say Minecraft. 

Read Dead is still an absolute masterpiece and my favourite ever videogame. People have judged it pretty fairly on its flaws but if you can look past it there’s no better role playing experience like it. It certainly dropped a lot less than God of War did, which won most of the awards last year. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Mugman said:

Read Dead is still an absolute masterpiece and my favourite ever videogame. People have judged it pretty fairly on its flaws but if you can look past it there’s no better role playing experience like it. It certainly dropped a lot less than God of War did, which won most of the awards last year. 

I think one thing that’s really interesting about it is it’s definition of role playing, which doesn’t really chime with our industry’s definition of that phrase, but actually is much more like the general applications of those terms. It’s missing the player directed choice of most of what we call RPGs, but it’s very faithful to their idea of playing this specific role. It’s less like an RPG game, and more like you’ve been cast in the role of Arthur who you’re now playing. All it’s systems are designed to compliment the experience of acting in the role of this person, and for the people that enjoyed that, clearly it’s very successful. I personally don’t really want to play that role, and was caught off guard by my expectations of computer based role play and the freedom of choice that I expect from open world games. But for what it’s trying to achieve it clearly excelled. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, PeteBrant said:

Are we talking about BotW now?

;)

Poor old Horizon Zero Awards. :( 

Not even game of the week. 

3 hours ago, Thor said:

Careful, Pete ... you'll awaken the ZDF. 

ZDF would  kindly point you to the number one game of the decade, game of 2017 and game of all time spots :)

3 hours ago, Zael said:

I'm not sure how much I'd extrapolate the Rllmuk games of the decade out into the wider world considering the placement of say Minecraft. 

Yeah I guess if we were a more discerning bunch the top spots would be filled with Minecraft, Fortnite and Clash of Clans ;)

24 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yeah I guess if we were a more discerning bunch the top spots would be filled with Minecraft, Fortnite and Clash of Clans ;)

Just wait until Clash of Clans is on Switch. 

But Minecraft is actually incredible though.

Spoiler

And it's on Switch.

• Upvote 6

49 minutes ago, Stanley said:

ZDF would  kindly point you to the number one game of the decade, game of 2017 and game of all time spots :)

Alternative facts. :coffee:

52 minutes ago, Benny said:

But Minecraft is actually incredible though.

Reveal hidden contents

And it's on Switch.

Yeah I know!

Looking at my top 10 of the decade list to determine the Best Year. It's actually quite well spread out across the decade. The only missing years are 2013 (Mario 3D World and Link Between Worlds both just missed the cut) and 2018, which just didn't have anything much I liked. How odd.

That means two double-dip years, and Breath of the Wild + Hollow Knight beats Journey + Dishonored soooo

I'm surprised how low God of War is, actually. It was in my top ten for 2018 and came second (I think) in the GOTY thread for that year. I thought it was fantastic. Better than Red Dead 2, definitely, and better than anything that came out in 2019.

5 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I'm surprised how low God of War is, actually. It was in my top ten for 2018 and came second (I think) in the GOTY thread for that year. I thought it was fantastic. Better than Red Dead 2, definitely, and better than anything that came out in 2019.

I'm not sure there's a single month in 2019 where God of War was better than everything that came out. Let's see, limiting myself to just one game each month:

January - Ace Combat 7

February - Tetris 99

March - The Occupation

April - Anno 1800

May - The Outer Wilds

June - Judgment

July - Fire Emblem: Three Houses

August - The Ninja Saviours: Return of the Warriors

September - Sayonara Wildhearts

October - Disco Elysium

November - Shenmue III

December - Wattam

Yep, the principle holds. Sorry, God of War :(

• Upvote 4

Yeah God of War was decent and it certainly looked very nice but I wouldnt put it up there with the best of the year. Hopefully the sequel sheds some bloat and opens up the combat skills at a snappier pace (and stops taking control away during boss battles for daft QTE cutscenes).

Great thread. Thanks a lot for all the effort that went into it.

3d world at 44 and Odyssey at 4 though :(

5 hours ago, Wiper said:

I'm not sure there's a single month in 2019 where God of War was better than everything that came out. Let's see, limiting myself to just one game each month:

January - Ace Combat 7

February - Tetris 99

March - The Occupation

April - Anno 1800

May - The Outer Wilds

June - Judgment

July - Fire Emblem: Three Houses

August - The Ninja Saviours: Return of the Warriors

September - Sayonara Wildhearts

October - Disco Elysium

November - Shenmue III

December - Wattam

Yep, the principle holds. Sorry, God of War :(

Correction: I should have written that it was better than anything else I played in 2019, which doesn't include any of the games in your list except for Fire Emblem, which I put 20 hours into before deciding it was twee anime guff (and sexist to boot).

Wiper is (lightly) trolling you, Jamie.

It's all subjective anyway. Ace Combat 7, to me, isn't all that. And Shenmue III ... better than GoW? Come on Wiper... ;)

• Upvote 2