rllmuk
dumpster

Is it time to ditch the consoles?

5 hours ago, phresh said:

Not sure why this post was negged as it seems pretty accurate to me, when everything works (and it does most of the time) it's great but when something does goes go wrong it's a fucking nightmare. I'd love to be able to play Raiden V but I get some error message that I cannot seem able to resolve so it sits unplayed, an issue I have simply never had on a console. Pairing controllers is always an interesting experience as well. I'm also going to stick to my guns on the Steam UI being a steaming pile of shit, whatever format it's in. The caveat here is that my only other platform is a Switch so I do not have any experience with the PS4/Xbone.

To be fair, I also have Ride 2 for my PS4.  I have 2 PS4s, I can play it on neither because it gets stuck at the main menu saying it's not "installed".  I have left the disk in for 3 days. I have left the disk in and the game running for 2 days. There is no option to fucking install, the internet just says leave it.

So just sometimes consoles PC it up.

6 hours ago, 5R7 said:

the steam link app says yeah you can :P

well, at home anyway

This is worth pointing out for the "But my PC isn't near the telly" crowd.  Steam Link is basically flawless, whether you have the Steam box or something that can run the steam link app, which includes some TVs.  It's like having Stadia but you actually get to own the games. 

The problem for me is my computer isn’t in my living room, nor do I want it to be, but my one hour of relaxing in the evening is spent on the sofa. 

Again. Steam Link. 

But we're talking about buying a PC instead of console, presumably for you that'd be a 2nd PC.

For me PC gaming represents a solution without a problem. Way back when, consoles offered a way of enjoying low end PC performance, without needing to know anything about computers, and without worrying about configurations and builds and drivers and what have you. They were a great solution to an obvious problem. I'm not sure I can see much of a problem with console gaming, and certainly not one that would require justify spending more money and dealing with extra inconvenience.

In order to ditch consoles there'd have to be some pretty serious and pressing issue that moving to PC resolved and I just don't see it.

• Upvote 4

I wouldn't say Steam Link is "flawless". I played Inside using it and it looked a bit shit, but that's probably a natural result of playing a game where all the colour and luminance information is using a tiny fraction of the spectrum available. Horrible banding results. I played through the entirety of The Witness via streaming though, which by comparison looked great. You do need pretty rock-solid wifi, or ethernet. I found that powerline connectors didn't cut it. If you drop packets then the stream just stutters horribly, or even dies. Made me worry about the viability of cloud streaming, to be honest.

I think a better solution is either building a small enough PC that carrying it around isn't a problem (mine spends most of its time under the telly tbh, but I do use it for work, and play some games at a desk, so portability is helpful), or using a laptop with an external GPU.

30 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

Normal people (as in non-enthusiasts) don’t game on PC, what the fuck at this thread :lol:

Indeed.... :D

34 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

Normal people (as in non-enthusiasts) don’t game on PC, what the fuck at this thread :lol:

3 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Indeed.... :D

To be fair, it's also filled with PC gamers making plenty of general & wrong statements about consoles too. It's almost as if there are entrenched fanboys on either side who don't know or don't care about the features of newer machines that they don't use. 

If only we could all just play games and get along. 

spacer.png

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

28 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

I think that sums it up.

You can't buy a good gaming PC for console prices and you can't do what you can on a PC on a console. If you just want to play a game, for a reasonable price then you buy a console. It does it better than a PC. If you want to build things like games themselves with Unreal, tinker with stuff like Emulation and play games in their best technical output, then you buy a PC.

Despite consoles becomming more like a PC (Updates, online play) and PC's more like a Console (More user friendly, simplified building opportunities) for me, the 2 systems are so separate, they're not comparable. One is for game playing for the hardcore, one is for hobbyists and the enthusiasts.

• Upvote 2

In a way this is a very confrontational focussed topic. The more ways to play the better IMHO.

Boot. Play. Enjoy and share your passion and experiences. Forget what hardware you are playing on its irrelevant. :)

Gaming platform wars are well so tedious and old school.

Personally going forward I'm going to be mindful before I respond or post a new topic as to what value it adds to our enjoyment of gaming. 

So on that note I'm out of this topic. :) Life is too short to be squabbling over the irrelevences. Value your time more everyone! :)

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

20 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

The more I think baout it, the more I am conviced that ditching consoles for just a PC would be the absolute worse decision if you like video gaming . You would miss out on so much. SUre have one if you are so inclined to compliment your hobby, and perhaps have the ultimate version of certain games. But there are so many titles that are console exlcusive I couldn't even see myself going PC only (I actually can;t ever see my self buying a PC for gaming but thats by the by)

This just demonstrably isn't true any more, if you discount the Switch.

As someone who owns a Switch and a PC, there are maybe two or three good games a year I can't play, if that.

And that's changing too with Sony bringing first party releases to PC.

All the big Japanese third party developers now bring their games to PC, and the western ones have been for ages.

The only big game I can think of missing that I actually want to play is Bloodborne.

14 hours ago, Popo said:

The problem for me is my computer isn’t in my living room, nor do I want it to be, but my one hour of relaxing in the evening is spent on the sofa. 

I use an NVidia shield to stream my PC to my living room TV to play games.

• Upvote 3

If Sony brings all their exclusives to PC I certainly won't buy a PS5 unless there are some MP games I really want to play with my console-centric friends.

20 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Yeah, given that everything except Nintendo and Sony first party titles currently already comes to PC, @PeteBrant's post is pretty baffling.

well given that covers an awful lot of quality games it’s not that baffling . 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

You could say exactly the same thing about people who only own an Xbox. 

Well, people who only own an Xbox actually have fewer games available than people who own just a PC.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Isaac said:

This just demonstrably isn't true any more, if you discount the Switch.

As someone who owns a Switch and a PC, there are maybe two or three good games a year I can't play, if that.

And that's changing too with Sony bringing first party releases to PC.

All the big Japanese third party developers now bring their games to PC, and the western ones have been for ages.

The only big game I can think of missing that I actually want to play is Bloodborne.

I use an NVidia shield to stream my PC to my living room TV to play games.

Don't those things cost almost as much as a console?

6 minutes ago, David Kenny said:

Don't those things cost almost as much as a console?

They cost £200, but they do a lot more than stream your PC.

They are amazing emulation boxes, for a start.

3 minutes ago, Isaac said:

They cost £200, but they do a lot more than stream your PC.

But I'm sure you can see that as a solution to the problem of playing games while sat on your sofa, paying hundreds of pounds on top of the hundreds you've already spent on the PC, to stream that PC to your television, might be less attractive than spending less money and getting a console?

• Upvote 2

You can get a Steam Link used for about £30 I think (they discontinued them... thinking about selling mine as I never use it). In the case you don't want to have an extra single-purpose box under your telly, it also works with a Raspberry Pi, pretty much anything that runs some version of Android or iOS, and some smart TVs.

No-one would use an Nvidia Sheild as a streaming client unless they already had one for some different reason.

8 hours ago, Liamness said:

You can get a Steam Link used for about £30 I think (they discontinued them... thinking about selling mine as I never use it). In the case you don't want to have an extra single-purpose box under your telly, it also works with a Raspberry Pi, pretty much anything that runs some version of Android or iOS, and some smart TVs.

No-one would use an Nvidia Sheild as a streaming client unless they already had one for some different reason.

I've got a Shield and a Steam link. :wacko:

Is online gaming on the PC really always free though?

I know there isn't the sort of universal subscription charge that console online network operators get to charge due to their ownership and total control over who can access their networks. 

But don't EA, or Epic, or whoever ... Find other ways to monetise online play of their games? I honestly don't know because I don't play AAA PC games online. But if it isn't monetised who pays for the server costs?

So far then:

- a pc with the same graphics performance as a 1X, let alone next year’s consoles, costs a lot more all in, though you’ll get a better framerate for your much more money

- it’ll be noisier, or you’re spending a lot lot more money

- windows still has fucked hdr support

on the positive side, if you’re not gaming in your bedroom you can buy more hardware and network conditions permitting stream to your tv.

so the usual “spend much more money to get a better experience” coupled with “we’ve already spent all that money and people playing on consoles don’t know what they’re missing”

(I have an ok pc (1080) which sits in the loft and which clearly outperforms the 1X. I have a steam link. The streaming doesn’t work well enough for anything not stylised, and the hdr support problem is problematic. I appreciate the framerate but not enough to have a much larger pc in the living room, and besides, there’s more running at 60fps on the 1X in performance mode now. I like my couch.)

7 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

I know there isn't the sort of universal subscription charge that console online network operators get to charge due to their ownership and total control over who can access their networks. 

But don't EA, or Epic, or whoever ... Find other ways to monetise online play of their games? I honestly don't know because I don't play AAA PC games online. But if it isn't monetised who pays for the server costs?

loot boxes,  battlepasses, advertisements.

18 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

Does it? Nintendo have released two games that aren’t derivative repetitions or literal ports. Sony have a stream of identical third person action games with “good stories” for all the people who have never experienced a book, TV show or Film.  Also they have Bloodborne. With games being as homogenised and generic as they are now, just owning a PC would allow you to experience everything gaming has to offer except BOTW, Mario Odyssey and Bloodborne. Just play third party action drivel with a thousand crap cutscenes instead of Sony’s, pick up indie games on PC and maybe buy a Wii or Wii U for the exact same Smash, Mario Kart and other Nintendo games.

8 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

It’s got all the same garbage that big console games have, loot boxes and battle passes and options to pay to avoid actually playing the game. It works in the same way every game on PC, old consoles and every website works, by server costs being a part of the outlay you pay to sell that type of product. Only console owners seem to think that them knocking up a garbage OS and actually hosting some stuff is a business cost that needs to be offset onto customers. If you buy say, Battlefield, the experience is identical on PC without you having to have paid a subscription to play online.

• Downvote 6

Lock it I say.

Where’s it going other than round in circles? Is everyone going to throw their consoles/PCs in the bin? 

May as well have a thread asking if we should get rid of the colour purple. (We should btw it’s crap)

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Broker said:

Does it?

Yes. I certainly would be without them . No intention of buying a pc at all ., there is nothing it offers me . Certainly not for the money .  Sony exclusives  this gen For me have been magnificent. Probably the best of any generation . Nintendo , well . Nintendo games are  nintendo games . And the switch is utterly fantastic .