rllmuk
dumpster

Is it time to ditch the consoles?

2 hours ago, Pavey said:

Is having an opinion or posing a question now classed as trolling then? If that were the case wouldn't the forum be full of empty pages, with everybody in fear of posting? I can only presume by the aggression and time of posting you've had one too many.

Is having an opinion on his opinion now classed as upsetting then? If that were the case wouldn't the forum be full of empty pages, with everybody not responding? I can only presume by the aggression and time of posting you had one too many last night.

4 minutes ago, Pavey said:

I see what you did there. Well done.

Perhaps I came across as aggressive initially, however I suspect when something seems so at odds to what I take as sense and data - was the original poster doing it for discussion instead of it being their actual position.

There is still a desire for consoles, and expensive ones still sell. In many ways the power, specs, and sexiness of the new consoles appeals to punters.

If these consoles cost £50 they wouldn't be as powerful and wouldn't be as desirable.

Skoda sell a lot of cars, yet they aren't as desirable as BMWs. The latter costs more, for a reason. Which then have far more loyal fans. Consoles are not much different.

Merc/BMW - PlayStation and Xbox.

Of course if the original poster is right then Stadia should be selling through the roof.

It's actually cheaper.

Yet he goes on to then discuss the merits of PC gaming!

High specs Pcs, even further ahead than your consoles. Costly to repair and fragile. Suddenly you've gone from a PS4 Merc to a PC Ferrari.

I think there's room enough for every type of car in the gaming world. Except Fords, which drive like ass (see Stadia, above).

• Downvote 1

I think in this complex car analogy, Stadia is a bus.

That is.... not a popular opinion of modern Fords to say the least.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hamus said:

- was the original poster doing it for discussion instead of it being their actual position.

Yes , because this is the discussion forum.  It is my opinion, but it is also obvious that it won't be everyones opinion, thats why i think it is a perfect topic for discussion.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

That is.... not a popular opinion of modern Fords to say the least.

Stadia is the grounded Airbus A380.

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Yes , because this is the discussion forum.  It is my opinion, but it is also obvious that it won't be everyones opinion, thats why i think it is a perfect topic for discussion.

That's your opinion, and I for one, am not sure on my opinion of that.

Does anyone else have an opinion on the opinion of opinions?

• Downvote 3

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

If we are going there, then why not Southern rail?

Streaming point to point tech that doesn't work for everyone and to those who do you use it - seemingly massively overpriced for such low quality service.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Hamus said:

That's your opinion, and I for one, am not sure on my opinion of that.

Here you go, hope this helps!

Screenshot_20200120-125952__01__01.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

19 hours ago, dumpster said:

I think the line between console and computer is going to be more blurred than ever.  If you end up paying £500 for a console that runs games at 60fps and 4K, surely 99% of people won't be able to see the difference between that and a PC? The whole point of a console is that you get high end gaming at a fraction of the price, but it's not that much cheaper any more

I would disagree with this. The whole point of consoles is that you get a dedicated games machine that works out of the box. And you get a name brand machine so that you know you are part of that manufacturers ecosystem, so there is a presumed level of quality and support, same as paying to use a console online.  You also know that, if you buy FIFA 2053 for your PlayStation 21, it'll work on your PlayStation 21 along with the Dual Shock 90 that came in the same box as the console.

If it was purely down to specs and cost, Nintendo wouldn't have sold a console since the SNES.

If they stop doing console exclusives then maybe but that isn’t going to happen.

Plus your console (in most cases) sits under your TV which is likely bigger than your monitor.

Basically, whenever I think about getting a PC I think about not being able to play on a 65” screen and all the associated hassle of having to buy and upgrade* various bits of hardware and so on and decide it’s not worth it. Then for further convincing I’ll think about the delayed releases like Red Dead that I wouldn’t be able to wait for anyway.

*I’m aware this is quite appealing to some and I totally get that, it’s just not for me. 

I think if this topic has shown anything, it's that people can get very defensive about their purchasing decisions! But then we definitely knew that already.

12 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Basically, whenever I think about getting a PC I think about not being able to play on a 65” screen and all the associated hassle of having to buy and upgrade* various bits of hardware and so on and decide it’s not worth it.

You do realise that PCs have HDMI out, right? My PC spends most of its time connected to the TV. It's only 50" because otherwise it would start to look daft in my flat, but still. As for upgrading - you just have to resist the FOMO, and tell yourself that the parts you already have are fine, because they almost certainly are. I can certainly understand not wanting to invite the temptation, however. I'm almost certainly going to spend an absolute shit-ton of money upgrading my system later this year (but probably even more money upgrading my monitor and TV at the same time).

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

Stadia is the grounded Airbus A380.

737 Max surely? The A380 is still in service although having seen one take off I suspect that's only until physics notices it's clearly mad.

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

If they stop doing console exclusives then maybe but that isn’t going to happen.

Plus your console (in most cases) sits under your TV which is likely bigger than your monitor.

We're talking here about building dedicated gaming PCs, so presumably it'd sit in the hole the console would otherwise do and output into the same TV the console would?

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

Basically, whenever I think about getting a PC I think about not being able to play on a 65” screen

You do realize that all you need is a HDMI cable? 

5 minutes ago, Pavey said:

He doesn't have the space; this is his PC - 

cray.jpg

Still doesn’t run Crysis properly.

• Upvote 2

On 18/01/2020 at 10:57, dumpster said:

On the whole the benefits of console aren't what they used to be. Console hardware is sold at a loss leader with profit made on the games and in previous generations this gave you a powerful piece of hardware for a fraction of the price of a gaming PC. Today, we have 4K big screen displays in the living room and PC prices have been falling. Meanwhile, from PS3 onwards, launch prices of console hardware have increased. Games have crept up as well, and a launch PS3 at £425 brought with it £50 games.  PS4 was £350 but brought us the £60 game and online distribution pushed that higher.  For the price of a PS5 and a few games you can get a decent gaming PC to connect to the TV.

We have had a few threads here discussing the information overload that's already happening - there's not enough time to play everything so missing out on console exclusives isn't necessarily the big problem it once was because you'll simply be playing something else instead.  

But on PC there's a world of really, really cheap gaming at your fingertips. Steam and Epic offering free games, Humble Bundles and 'Pay what you like' deals.  Online services without monthly subscriptions.  New releases being typically £20 less on PC and pricess falling. Every time you buy a game you will be saving money. 

Then comes the hacking and modding scene. Fan made patches open up a whole new world of stuff, some of which are quite amazing.  The HD Resident Evil 4 that came out years before Capcom did it officially for example. The multiple fixes for Deadly Premonition that made the official buggy mess into the silky smooth, best version available. 

Then comes the modding of your hardware. When the Playstation 6 launches, just whack a new graphics card into your PC and you're off again. Connect multiple monitors, build a flight sim cockpit with the mountain of peripherals and accessories that are only available on PC.

Seems to me that the new console generation is at odds with what consoles should be - cheap hardware that is competitive and powerful compared to home computers. Buying a new console will cost a lot of money overall, as you factor in the £50 -£60 games, monthly online subs, and so on.  And when a game is multi format, the PC version is usually the best.  So, is

PC the way forward now and is it time to ditch the consoles?

Practically already done this. With a few exceptions. The current gen I now have the PS4 and a Switch. The reason I have is PS4 is purely to mop up content on my new found interest in PSVR - loving the low barrier to entry into VR with this and going forward I will be investing in VR but on the PC (after this gen of consoles is done).

The Switch to me is the purest form of what I want from a console... plug in and play with minimal fuss - swift updates to OS and games if there are any and no other things to distract. Although to be fair youtube was a welcome addition not so long back.

Going forward its just going to be a PC with Oculus Rift and a Nintendo console as I just really enjoy their content.

PS5/Xbox Series X will take a back seat unless they do something different of interest. Not ruling them out but just no interest from me. Need a PC anyway and MS are embracing that with the Xbox servce....

Of course everyone has different needs/requirements so I expect there is room for everything and the upcoming gen of consoles will no doubt be extremely popular but they aren't really for me anymore. As mentioned with all the updates and patches the PC is just much quicker and more efficient at doing this.

Sure there will be the odd exclusive I will no doubt miss on the PS5 but hey.... I can handle that as I only have so much time to spare anyway.....  Look forward to reading everyone's experiences with them on here! :) 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Dudley said:

737 Max surely? The A380 is still in service although having seen one take off I suspect that's only until physics notices it's clearly mad.

Only just, no one really wants or needs it and it was envisioned for a time since gone by. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stevie said:

You do realize that all you need is a HDMI cable? 

Probably clumsily put but I prefer the console experience and controller than a PC. I know you can use controllers on a PC of course, though I doubt there are any exclusives that I wouldn’t be better off using a Keyboard and Mouse for.

On 18/01/2020 at 11:33, Ketchup said:

If PCs had a Game Mode, eg. You booted up into game mode, no windows, no dash board just the games listed and when you clicked on them they started up with no fuss then maybe. But that's really just a console. PCs are still a bit too annoying to use for a quick ten minute game of something and in fact don't really offer that sort of gaming in a major way.

Easy enough to do, just set the start menu to full screen. Job Done.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

Probably clumsily put but I prefer the console experience and controller than a PC. I know you can use controllers on a PC of course, though I doubt there are any exclusives that I wouldn’t be better off using a Keyboard and Mouse for.

There are literally thousands of exclusives you'd be better off using a controller for than Keyboard/Mouse.

On 18/01/2020 at 12:25, Thwomp said:

I used to game on PC and gave it up, I just couldn't be arsed with the hassle. You buy a game on release and find that your combination of hardware causes shit frame rates or micro stuttering, and you have to wait for drivers to be released, or fanny about editing config files in wordpad. At least on consoles the worst case scenario is a 30gb day one patch.

Or in the case of Skyrim (and many others) the worst-case scenario is things never being fixed at all, meaning you have to resort to the PC version. Even if you're not modding at all you still have console commands to restore that one-off quest item that fell through the floor or vanished from your storage for no reason at all.

On 18/01/2020 at 11:25, Thwomp said:

I used to game on PC and gave it up, I just couldn't be arsed with the hassle. You buy a game on release and find that your combination of hardware causes shit frame rates or micro stuttering, and you have to wait for drivers to be released, or fanny about editing config files in wordpad. At least on consoles the worst case scenario is a 30gb day one patch.

I haven’t really expressed myself properly but this is a factor for me. I have had a gaming PC before (1998/99 I think) and it was a fussy hassle-filled experience for me once I’d clocked Half Life. I remember trying to run Kingpin (and others) and never getting anywhere without it dropping to sub 10 FPS and constantly crashing all the time. And it was a top of the range machine at the time.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Oh, everything fucking goes bananas on PCs. I'm predominantly a PC gamer and I suspect I always will be. I love building the things and I love tinkering with all the settings and files to eke out the performance and get it as good as I can. But I'm definitely in a minority of silly sods who get perverse pleasure out of it, and whilst I love all this stuff, I'll always be swearing and cursing at certain things that simply don't work how they should do :p . 

Consoles are generally well behaved individuals, and by contrast I equally love seeing at what clever developers do to push their skills in machines that have absolute limits in their capabilities. Whereas quite honestly I usually get the feeling that I'm only running games better because the hardware is just brute-forcing everything rather than any finesse going on! 

But, when it does all go right, PC gaming can be a beautiful thing indeed.

Now, forgive me whilst I go back to playing Horace...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

What I've taken from this thread so far is that the people complaining about the PC and the faffing seem to have not really experienced modern PC gaming., and it seems to be based on an experience a number of years ago

These days you turn the PC on, this takes about 20 secs to boot from cold, heck if you left it in sleep mode, its instant! To play the game you have installed, open which even launcher its on, or gog galaxy 2.0 which can show all your games!, click play on the game. Or on Steam, you can click show hidden icons button, right click the steam icon, and it shows the last 5 games, launch from there. Hell, make desktop shortcuts for games! all my epic store ones do, its literally turn on, double click! 

Thats it, it takes LESS time than either the PS4 or Xbox to load the system and load into a game, than either of them take to boot from cold!

If its game pass, open the app, all your installed games are on the left, just click the play button!

Hell, to load a game on xbox, once you've waited for it boot, you then tap the xbox button, go to games, go find the game, then play, you actually have to do more on xbox?!

The talk of updates, windows does it automatically, you can even set windows to do it when you want! updates for games are just downloaded by the launcher, yes, the same as a console, if you haven't opened that specific launcher it will have to update, like if you haven't turned on your ps4 for a while.

I've also noticed the odd complaining of "relying on community fixes" or "it just works on console" ...well....lets take Bloodbourne on PS4, that is a juddery mess! it has not been fixed, ever.

If it were on PC, you could resolve the issue with a 3rd party program (assuming it was ported in that state)  RTSS, in the space of ...ooooh....30 seconds, including opening the program, clicking the add button, navigating to where the game is installed, and typing a frame rate in.

Hell look at unlocked frame rate games on consoles, thats a terrible experience, and you cant do anything about it!

You can fix things when the dev hasn't bothered. Thats great! ...yes bethesda, we are looking at you!

The bottom line is, PC gaming, is these days damn simple! And most games do have auto detect settings too.

• Upvote 6

I wouldn't go that far, although admittedly I have modifiers like VR and 3 monitors.  Games still start up on the wrong monitor for example and the VR headset frequently steals the sound settings and I spent 10 minutes last night trying to work out why Hitman was clearly recognising my xbox controller (the button prompts changed keyboard to controller when I pressed buttons) but wouldn't do anything else.

Turned out there was a PS4 controller paired as well and that was stopping it, but not properly.

Generally Pc gaming is as easy as console 99% of the time, but that 1% it's really fucking tricky.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I ditched consoles around March last year. Its cost me £2800 which I'm still paying off but I couldn't go back now. It's so so fucking good.

I went ballistic on the build however so its gonna last me a long time. Whacking out 4k 60 with all the shines and not much worry has been worth it personally but consoles are so much more convenient for 95% of people.