rllmuk
JohnC

Avenue 5 - new space comedy with Hugh Laurie and Armando iannucci

Second episode is good as well but Josh Gadd needs to never be in the show again. I get that his character is meant to be annoying but that doesn’t make him any more tolerable.

I’ll stick with it.

• Empathy 1

This guy wrote the Thick of It and has *Hugh Laurie* in a position of power during a disaster and he makes what seems to be a light-hearted bit of fluff. I've not watched, maybe I'll give it a shot but those generic oversight(?) based jokes in the trailers were dreadful.

13 minutes ago, Retroid said:

I've not watched

Maybe give it a chance before posting your review then?

I don't get the hate for this show. It was never going to be The Thick Of It 2. It's set is space FFS. Miles better than any other sitcom currently running.

Second episode was an improvement but still quite hit and miss for me. Still has time to get into its groove as there’s certainly some potential. 

Second was worse than the first.

Avenue 5/10.

Seems like they spent too much money on real and digital sets and effects and not enough on developing the scripts.

• Upvote 4

The idea of the orbiting coffins is amazing. I still like it, there are enough jokes that hit to stick with it for now. 

Utterly dire - can see why they didn’t want to sully Sky Atlantic with this and stuck it on Sky 1.

Not really sure what it’s trying to be, but whatever it is I won’t be watching any more of it. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, the orbiting coffins are great at least but overall it’s been mostly dire. Still, Arrested Development had a poor first season, and I hear Parks and Recreation had similarly bad season 1 so hopefully it’ll find its footing.

1 minute ago, Joystick Chevron said:

and I hear Parks and Recreation had similarly bad season 1

I remember it being all killer no filler. I’m guessing by your use of the phrase “I hear” that you haven’t seen it? Do yourself a favour my friend and get on it ASAP!

• Upvote 1

Parks and Rec season 1 was weaker than the later seasons, I don't know if it was because they got better or if you just got to know the characters more, in season 1 I though Lesley Knope was a bit annoying, but actually she is just amazing.

Arrested Development was perfect in its first series!

It’s a bit of a weird rationale for lots of things that ‘x’ was shit then got good, when far more often ‘x’ was shit and carried on that way until they stopped making it. 

• Upvote 3

Season 1 of Arrested Development was absolutely sensational. I have never ever once in all my time since, until now, even heard anyone suggest it was weaker than the rest. 

Probably because it’s completely insane to suggest it. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Joystick Chevron said:

Still, Arreseted Development had a poor first season

What the hell is this. From episode 10 on it was AD at it's absolute best.

4 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Arrested Development was perfect in its first series!

It’s a bit of a weird rationale for lots of things that ‘x’ was shit then got good, when far more often ‘x’ was shit and carried on that way until they stopped making it. 

Lots of amazing shows improved after the first season, once the writers found their feet with the characters/ given more freedom though- its always sunny and Community spring to mind. 

I greatly enjoyed the third episode, best of the bunch in my opinion. 

Hugh Laurie was great I thought. 

I've only just twigged the whole Karen thing. I wasn't really aware of the meme.

Up to episode 3 and I've been enjoying it more and more as we get to know the characters and they begin to adapt to the catastrophe they're stuck within.

There have been many things I've enjoyed so far. 'The coffins' is probably the my favourite joke that has continued to develop, much like some of Arrested Development's best jokes were throw aways at first that the writers wove into the plot. I can see this series getting better as it builds more and more into it's set up and the ever worsening situation they're all trapped in.

Other highlights include the accent, the actors, the delay, the disgruntled cleaners, the references to multiple climate disasters on Earth, the customer satisfaction chief who appears to enjoy experience joy when he's making other people miserable.

I like it and can't wait to see where it goes. You just know it's going to get worse and it's going to be brilliant.

Seen Ep 3 now. I did smile a couple of times, but it’s all so naff and predictable.

3rd episode in, still enjoying it. The coffin thing is amazing, the joke that keeps on giving.

• Upvote 1

On 07/02/2020 at 21:31, jonamok said:

Seen Ep 3 now. I did smile a couple of times, but it’s all so naff and predictable.

This got renewed after episode 4 aired. I'm almost at the end of episode 5 and about to pack it in. Naff is an accurate description.  I'd have guessed Iannucci and his Thick of It crew had just put their names to it as producers for the money, but looking at Wikipedia they are listed as the screenwriters for these early episodes.

Two episodes in and for me it's just not working. Apparently it gets better and darker, but unsure if I really want to invest further. It's not like there not lots of objectively good TV to watch elsewhere, versus one that can't get up to steam in the first 3rd of the run.

The latest episode majors on a terrible comedian and a halo of shit surrounding the ship.

You’re just making it too easy for us now, Armando...

It’s like they realise it’s dying so in Ep7 brought in Paterson Joseph, who is the most powerful man on the ship, but somehow he’s never appeared before now. Amazing as he is playing Space Alan Johnson, it’s not really helping with the funny vacuum.

This was ‘OK-ish’ to begin with, with a bit too much of people running around and shouting insults at each other.

But I’ve really enjoyed the last two eps. It’s settled down a bit and become more ridiculous. 

Yeah, I'm still enjoying this too. Looks like there are 9 episodes, so only 2 left. 

I'm still enjoying it. I can't say it's laugh out loud funny, although it has its moments, but I'm enjoying the farce.

19 hours ago, Joystick Chevron said:

Next week’s already leaked the other day and it’s...

:omg::omg::omg:

Shit is fucked up, yo.

You're not wrong. :blink: