rllmuk
JohnC

Avenue 5 - new space comedy with Hugh Laurie and Armando iannucci

Should have been a live action spin off of Futurama featuring the adventures of Zapp Brannigan. 

Anyone seen anything of this?  Starting sky one on wednesday at 9.   Set aboard a space liner that travels the solar system, something happens that throws them off course and strands them in deep space.

Its an HBO show but the trailers and the fact its on Sky 1 (not Atlantic) make it look like pretty awful. 

Rightly or wrongly I always assume Sky Atlantic to be a badge of quality somehow and anything on Sky 1 is for the ITV or Ch5 crowd.

The premise sounds very much like Aniara (which was the best thing I watched last year), but with comedy.

Watched the trailer today. Not sure if I'm gonna like it but I'll give it a go due to Armando being behind it.

On 18/01/2020 at 09:31, Gotters said:

Rightly or wrongly I always assume Sky Atlantic to be a badge of quality somehow and anything on Sky 1 is for the ITV or Ch5 crowd.

Exactly the same here. But having said that, I read the Observer review of Sky 1's 'Cobra' today, which gave it a lot of praise, so I've started watching it tonight and I've already burned through 4 episodes. 

First episode seemed more enjoyable than the trailer suggested, I think. And I only saw Silicon Valley for the first time last week, so it’s kind of nice to have Jared back. 

See if you can spot the subtle nod on Laurie’s American accent (since House) to make the US audience more comfortable.

Yeah, that was far better than the trailers suggested. I really enjoyed it - good setup, good jokes and some fun characters. I'll be following it up for sure.

I enjoyed that first episode. A few chucklesome moments, and decent characters who i like already.

I really enjoyed this. I was worried it would fall down the wacky hole when it started, but it tread that line perfectly and balanced it with some great, cynical comedy.

Thought that was superb. Always tricky to get a new sitcom up to speed in the first episode and they tend to be weak I find, but I really enjoyed that. Anyone know how many episodes there are in the season?

That was hard work to finish - whole ep didn’t raise a smile.

Just a boring mess of people shouting unfunny non zingers at each other that felt like they came from leftover notepads from Veep or Thick Of It, and not a character or story I could care less for.

Will give ep2 a go but suspect its not for me as found it awful.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

God that dragged. Really not funny, I’m afraid. 

5 minutes ago, Popo said:

God that dragged. Really not funny, I’m afraid. 

You really didn't find it funny. That doesn't mean it's not funny. Don't state it as fact. I thought it was fantastic.

I think it's given that it's just his opinion. Rather than him stating a universal truth. 

• Upvote 6

On 19/01/2020 at 22:56, deKay said:

So is it better or worse than Hyperdrive?

I thought it was about the same as Hyperdrive but with Neelix.

I quite liked it, I think the next episodes will be telling now the setup is complete.