rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
bear

[Rumour] Sony porting PS4 exclusives to PC

Bloodborn, Wipeout VR and Astrobot would be my picks for the PC port treatment.  The VR game in particular would make sense as they would be greatly received by the PC Vr market.  VR games inparticular need more market exposure because of the smaller percentage of users.

41 minutes ago, simms said:

Not sure what it is you don't understand, If I want to play a particular exclusive I have to pay hundreds of pounds on a piece of equipment to play it even though I potentially have existing adequate hardware. Exclusives tied to expensive hardware needs to go and I think console manufacturers are realising this.  R&D, marketing and selling hardware is expensive for them.

I'd be more inclined to view this as a new way to try and sell consoles to PC gamers. 

"Here's Horizon:Zero Dawn, hope you enjoy it loads. If you want to play more you can buy the sequel in three months on PS5 or you can wait three years for a PC port".

Dreams would be slightly different as getting PC users on board to create content would benefit console users. I'm guessing you'd need to have a PSN account to upload stuff for that game though. 

1 minute ago, bear said:

I'd be more inclined to view this as a new way to try and sell consoles to PC gamers. 

"Here's Horizon:Zero Dawn, hope you enjoy it loads. If you want to play more you can buy the sequel in three months on PS5 or you can wait three years for a PC port".

Dreams would be slightly different as getting PC users on board to create content would benefit console users. I'm guessing you'd need to have a PSN account to upload stuff for that game though. 

Yes this is true but I cannot see this happening in large numbers.

I think it's natural given Sony's gradual shift from a hardware company to a wierd mixture of entertainment, components and services, that they would want to be on as many platforms as possible and reach as many customers as they can. Maybe they ran the numbers and concluded that the extra sales outweigh the benefits of having a box they control in your living room. If they eventually push hard for streaming, then they'll have to go where their customers are anyway, so why not get a head start?

I probably won't buy a PS5 if most of its exclusives end up on PC, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that, so it would be a risk. They could set up their own storefront of course, which would give them some control over the customer experience and so on. It's sort of a soft vendor lock-in. To be honest, it would be fantastic if some other big players in the games industry (I'm thinking Sega, Nintendo) set up their own storefronts on Windows and / or Android. I really don't think buying single-purpose boxes makes much sense when generic hardware should be perfectly capable of running their software, the only reason is to give the vendors control and there are better ways to achieve that.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Liamness said:

I think it's natural given Sony's gradual shift from a hardware company to a wierd mixture of entertainment, components and services, that they would want to be on as many platforms as possible and reach as many customers as they can. Maybe they ran the numbers and concluded that the extra sales outweigh the benefits of having a box they control in your living room. If they eventually push hard for streaming, then they'll have to go where their customers are anyway, so why not get a head start?

I probably won't buy a PS5 if most of its exclusives end up on PC, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that, so it would be a risk. They could set up their own storefront of course, which would give them some control over the customer experience and so on. It's sort of a soft vendor lock-in. To be honest, it would be fantastic if some other big players in the games industry (I'm thinking Sega, Nintendo) set up their own storefronts on Windows and / or Android. I really don't think buying single-purpose boxes makes much sense when generic hardware should be perfectly capable of running their software, the only reason is to give the vendors control and there are better ways to achieve that.

Id prefer if Sony sold through one of the existing game stores but if the price of getting Sony exclusives on PC is another store then so be it.  Initiatives like GOG Galaxy is uniting PC game stores into one client anyway.

Yeah. I have maybe four storefronts installed on my PC? Then some games I've bought from itch.io and GOG on top of that, where it's just a website. It's honestly not a big deal. I haven't been bothered by it to the point of actually trying out GOG Galaxy yet, let's put it that way.

Valve have put a huge amount of effort into things like controller support, library sharing, streaming from one device to another etc. So it's not like they're all made completely equal. But I expect most people don't care.

1 hour ago, simms said:

Not sure what it is you don't understand, If I want to play a particular exclusive I have to pay hundreds of pounds on a piece of equipment to play it even though I potentially have existing adequate hardware. Exclusives tied to expensive hardware needs to go and I think console manufacturers are realising this.  R&D, marketing and selling hardware is expensive for them.

You claimed that other media had moved away from exclusive content which is manifestly untrue. I don't think the cost of entry is hugely significant either way, particularly when it's dwarfed by the cost of subscription to their services over a few years. Overwhelmingly people will only buy one console, you get to chose whether to buy Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo's machine - the more compelling reasons there are to get you into their ecosystem the better for them - I don't see this changing significantly.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

You claimed that other media had moved away from exclusive content which is manifestly untrue. I don't think the cost of entry is hugely significant either way, particularly when it's dwarfed by the cost of subscription to their services over a few years. Overwhelmingly people will only buy one console, you get to chose whether to buy Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo's machine - the more compelling reasons there are to get you into their ecosystem the better for them - I don't see this changing significantly.

Don't know if you are being purposely argumentative but I think I was reasonably clear about what I was getting at in the context of this thread.  Having a specifically high cost piece of hardware tied to an exclusive piece of content only seems to happen in gaming.  Yes exclusives in streaming services still occur as it does in VR gaming (see oculus).  In the streaming tv services you mention I don't have to buy a high cost set top box to watch exclusive content, I can pay a months subscription (£10 or less) watch the content and cancel or even use a free trial.

Re. storefronts: I don't mind web-based libraries (e.g. GOG and Humble), but downloadable clients for everything can be a bit much. Besides, you can already view your digital purchase history on the PS Store web page and queue PS4 downloads from your PC, so I'm not sure why they wouldn't do something similar for PC games...

8 minutes ago, simms said:

I don't have to buy a high cost set top box to watch exclusive content, I can pay a months subscription (£10 or less) watch the content and cancel or even use a free trial.

I don't understand why you think this is significant. Having a higher cost of entry will, if anything, make consumers more sensitive to what exclusive content there is. I'm not trying to be argumentative - you said other media was turning away from exclusives when the exact opposite is true - companies like Netflix are bankrupting themselves in a race to make exclusive content.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

I don't understand why you think this is significant. Having a higher cost of entry will, if anything, make consumers more sensitive to what exclusive content there is. I'm not trying to be argumentative - you said other media was turning away from exclusives when the exact opposite is true - companies like Netflix are bankrupting themselves in a race to make exclusive content.

Don't think I said this but sorry if it sounded like that.  Anyway I'm glad console manufacturers are starting share exclusives outside of their hardware platforms 

My theory is that Horizon 2 is going to be a PS5 launch game with some type of tech included that uses the new hardware heavily. Now that Microsoft have announced they’re not doing exclusives Sony have realised Horizon 2 might look really impressive, not just to console games but also compared to PC games, many of which end up being as constrained by old console hardware as the consoles are. 

So they’re hoping to get Horizon 2 to be the new Crysis, and this is step one to get PC gamers into the series.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

Great for us PC types, but I don't see what Sony have to gain here, the PC is Microsofts ecosystem so it makes sense for Xbox.

true I don’t see what they have to gain either aside from the millions of PC users.

22 hours ago, simms said:

The difference that you've overlooked is that software is expensive to port to a multitude of hardware, unlike other entertainment media.

The console manufacturers all still rely on exclusivity to sell their stuff, even Microsoft, whose exclusive big budget software is only available to run natively on Microsoft controlled hardware/software platforms so they perform the exact same role as the other console manufacturers hardware does, to get you to buy and use their delivery platform.

People do forget that most PC games only run exclusively on the Microsoft Windows OS, they don't run on Linux or Mac OS so PC owners are forced to use Microsoft Windows if they want to play most games, unlike if they want to use other software on their PC.

Sony used to port some of their first party console exclusives to the PC so this isn't exactly a new thing for them to do.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, mushashi said:

People do forget that most PC games only run exclusively on the Microsoft Windows OS, they don't run on Linux or Mac OS so PC owners are forced to use Microsoft Windows if they want to play most games, unlike if they want to use other software on their PC.

Requiring certain software to run a game is much less of a hurdle to jump than requiring certain hardware, though! For instance, recent titles like Sekiro run just fine on Linux through Steam's compatibility system. Hardly any performance penalty even. DRM throws a spanner in the works for other games, but that's much less of a barrier than having to reverse engineer hardware. Last gen emulators like Xenia and RPCS3 only just recently started getting decent, from what I understand.

It wasn't the technical problems I was referring to, more disproving that exclusivity isn't used by all the console manufacturers to get you to use their platform and that is unlikely to change anytime soon.

Microsoft control the dominant software Operating System on the x86 PC hardware platform and are hardly jumping at the opportunity to support rival OSes officially. The solutions you mention are either made by enthusiasts who don't care about legalities or a well funded ex-Microsoft founded company with strategic commercial concerns investing in undermining the continued dominance of Microsoft Windows made possible by the open nature of the x86 PC hardware ecosystem, none of which is controlled by a single company.

• Downvote 1

If the aim is to make lots of money then it makes sense to grow the market, so it makes sense to release on PC.  Sell more games and also hopefully funnel some people to Sony hardware.

6 hours ago, mushashi said:

The difference that you've overlooked is that software is expensive to port to a multitude of hardware, unlike other entertainment media.

The console manufacturers all still rely on exclusivity to sell their stuff, even Microsoft, whose exclusive big budget software is only available to run natively on Microsoft controlled hardware/software platforms so they perform the exact same role as the other console manufacturers hardware does, to get you to buy and use their delivery platform.

Sony used to port some of their first party console exclusives to the PC so this isn't exactly a new thing for them to do.

Apple doesn’t take games seriously on Mac: I don’t really see why anyone else should. Graphics device drivers on Linux are also a clusterfuck.

7 hours ago, mushashi said:

isn’t porting to hardware easier to do these days?  Console manufacturers are not opting to design complicated hardware like the famous PS3 cell architecture.  Also with games using common engines... not saying it can be done at a flick of as switch however 

It'll be interesting if Sony port more 1st party games to PC, especially ones that are PS5 only.  Like how do you port a game that uses the whatever number of cores CPU's to a PC base that has a very wide range of capabilities?  They'd be putting themselves into the same space that MS will be soon. 

On 18/01/2020 at 19:07, simms said:

isn’t porting to hardware easier to do these days?  Console manufacturers are not opting to design complicated hardware like the famous PS3 cell architecture.  Also with games using common engines... not saying it can be done at a flick of as switch however 

The basic porting process might be simpler than in the past, but developers still have to waste inordinate amounts of their time 'optimising' a game to work on whatever target hardware the game is being ported to, and time=money.

• Downvote 1

On 21/01/2020 at 14:00, rafaqat said:

It'll be interesting if Sony port more 1st party games to PC, especially ones that are PS5 only.  Like how do you port a game that uses the whatever number of cores CPU's to a PC base that has a very wide range of capabilities?  They'd be putting themselves into the same space that MS will be soon. 

The new consoles are basically just PCs, from a component perspective.

We have come a long way from the PS3