rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
bear

[Rumour] Sony porting PS4 exclusives to PC

Link to Kotaku story.

The PlayStation 4 exclusive Horizon: Zero Dawn will come to personal computers this year, sources tell Kotaku. It’s an unprecedented move for Sony that signals a future in which the publisher releases games on platforms beyond its own consoles.

This news comes from three people familiar with Sony’s plans, all speaking anonymously because they were not authorized to talk to press. Sony did not immediately respond to a request for comment

I know this is being discussed in the Horizon thread but it seems like a big enough story to justify its own thread. Afterall we now seem closer than ever to getting those PC ports of the Ape Escape games that the PC community has been demanding for years. 

No talk yet of Sony planning to launch their own storefront for PC games but I guess that's possible. Steam and the Epic Store seem to be the likely destination for the Horizon port anyway. 

I miss Ape Escape. 

• Upvote 3

I am far more surprised by this move than I am MS's jump to do it. I suppose they've made the calculation that it's more important to get the games into more peoples hands and build loyalty to their own eventual Gamepass style service, rather than the old model of using exclusives to sell consoles. Now if they follow MS down the road of all future exclusives coming to PC day and date with the PS5, then I think they risk undermining the case for next gen consoles.

• Upvote 2

I don't think Sony will ever release PC versions the same day and date as the Playstation ones. That way they keep the console gamers happy, the PC owners eventually get to play it, and theres no doubt a portion of who will double dip for better performance on PC, too. Everyone's a winnar.

43 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

I am far more surprised by this move than I am MS's jump to do it. I suppose they've made the calculation that it's more important to get the games into more peoples hands and build loyalty to their own eventual Gamepass style service, rather than the old model of using exclusives to sell consoles. Now if they follow MS down the road of all future exclusives coming to PC day and date with the PS5, then I think they risk undermining the case for next gen consoles.

These are 3-4 year old games getting a release on PC. THis is about maximising revenue, and probably hanging off the back of Death Stranding as it uses the Decima engine. I doubt this is any precursor to simultaneous releases.

But who knows, maybe they are testing the water.

Definitely a game that deserves a wider audience though.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Yes

I guess that's mildly interesting then. A lot of us probably agree that streaming is an inferior way to play games but if this rumour is true, this sort of shows that Sony acknowledge it, even for a game that's undemanding in terms of response times etc.

1 hour ago, Down by Law said:

I don't think Sony will ever release PC versions the same day and date as the Playstation ones. That way they keep the console gamers happy, the PC owners eventually get to play it, and theres no doubt a portion of who will double dip for better performance on PC, too. Everyone's a winnar.

never say never.

Having to buy a piece of hardware to play exclusives sucks balls 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, partious said:

I guess that's mildly interesting then. A lot of us probably agree that streaming is an inferior way to play games but if this rumour is true, this sort of shows that Sony acknowledge it, even for a game that's undemanding in terms of response times etc.

PSNow has been streaming games since shortly after the PS4's launch. That said most of the PS4 games are available to download too I think. 

Video game industry is old fashioned in some ways compared to other media.  The days of exclusivity maybe numbered.  Timed exclusives may still continue 

• Upvote 1

Porting/remastering PS3 and PS4 games for the PS5 probably has the side effect of being minimal effort to shit out a PC port at the same time.

1 hour ago, partious said:

Is Horizon available on the PSNow streaming service?

Yes but it's only up for 3 months before it gets removed from PSNow. Sony are treating putting their big first party stuff on the service very gingerly compared to MS and GamePass. Hell, they just recently added Infamous Second Son, a near 7 year old title, for 3 months before removing it again. It's definitely a toe in the water approach thus far.

3 minutes ago, simms said:

Video game industry is old fashioned in some ways compared to other media.  The days of exclusivity maybe numbered.  Timed exclusives may still continue 

Dunno, streaming services like Netflix, Prime, HBO etc are pretty heavily invested in exclusives - if anything that market is increasingly dependent on exclusives. 

12 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Great for us PC types, but I don't see what Sony have to gain here, the PC is Microsofts ecosystem so it makes sense for Xbox.

It's not really. In fact it's only recently that Microsoft have made much of an impact with an actual gaming ecosystem thanks to Game Pass. Sure they own the OS, but Valve, Epic and the rest have much more of a presence there in terms of gaming.

• Upvote 1

Good news.  The more options I have the better.  Hopefully they introduce a "you bought it once, play anywhere" vision to their multiplatform output. 

11 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

Dunno, streaming services like Netflix, Prime, HBO etc are pretty heavily invested in exclusives - if anything that market is increasingly dependent on exclusives. 

You don’t need an expensive piece of hardware to get access to those services. You can just pay one month or use a free trial to watch an exclusive.

11 minutes ago, simms said:

You don’t need an expensive piece of hardware to get access to those services. You can just pay one month or use a free trial to watch an exclusive.

Sure, but not sure what your point is - getting folk to buy into moderately expensive hardware would only make exclusives more important, no?

Dreams is almost certainly coming to PC as Media Molecule have publicly stated they'd like it to; before now I assumed it wouldn't actually happen.

I'd imagine some games are more viable than others. Days Gone would likely be an easy port as it runs on Unreal, for instance, whereas Naughty Dogs' games might be akin to RDR2 where they're so tuned for console hardware that they don't run as well as you might expect on a powerful PC.

Speaking of Unreal, I'm kind of expecting this venture to be Epic Games Store exclusive, at least at first.

53 minutes ago, partious said:

You can download the game in its entirety via PSNow; you don't have to stream it.

23 minutes ago, Phil said:

You can download the game in its entirety via PSNow; you don't have to stream it.

Yes, you can download PS4 games onto a PS4, but sony have marketed their streaming service as a legitimate replacement for running games locally, PS3 games on psnow originally being presented as an acceptable solution to PS4's lack of PS3 backwards compatibility etc.

Then more recently we see game magazines etc writing about streaming being "the future of gaming" as opposed to a noticeably inferior way to play games and I just think it's interesting to see one of the big players in the game streaming market decide that despite the game being playable on pc via their streaming service, a PC port is a worthwhile endeavour.

To be clear, I personally think streaming is shit and not the future of gaming, the only reason I think this is interesting is because it runs counter to streaming service hype and marketing that presents it as a valid replacement for running games on local hardware. The games have to run on something in the first place (playstation hardware) to be streamed but porting to pc seems like a quiet acknowledgement that streaming is in fact significantly inferior as an experience. "PSNOW is so good that we're devoting money and development teams to porting games to platforms that can already run those games via PSNOW"

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, partious said:

Yes, you can download PS4 games onto a PS4, but sony have marketed their streaming service as a legitimate replacement for running games locally, PS3 games on psnow originally being presented as an acceptable solution to PS4's lack of PS3 backwards compatibility etc.

Then more recently we see Edge magazine and other outlets writing about streaming being "the future of gaming" as opposed to a noticeably inferior way to play games and I just think it's interesting to see one of the big players in the game streaming market decide that despite the game being playable on pc via their streaming service, a PC port is a worthwhile endeavour.

To be clear I personally think streaming is shit and not the future of gaming, the only reason I think this is interesting is because it runs counter to streaming service hype and marketing that presents it as a valid replacement for running games on local hardware. The games have to run on something in the first place (playstation hardware) to be streamed but porting to pc seems like a quiet acknowledgement that streaming is in fact significantly inferior as an experience. "PSNOW is so good that we're devoting money and development teams to porting games to platforms that can already run those games via PSNOW"

I think the big three will eventually just say "streaming has its place but isn't the best experience" MS are essentially already saying that in interviews with Phil Spencer

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

Sure, but not sure what your point is - getting folk to buy into moderately expensive hardware would only make exclusives more important, no?

Not sure what it is you don't understand, If I want to play a particular exclusive I have to pay hundreds of pounds on a piece of equipment to play it even though I potentially have existing adequate hardware. Exclusives tied to expensive hardware needs to go and I think console manufacturers are realising this.  R&D, marketing and selling hardware is expensive for them.

• Downvote 1