rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Danster

Messiah (Netflix)

Messiah - took a chance on this and so far enjoying it. Is he? Isn't he? modern day Messiah. Sumptuous production levels, and some cracking characters. Am hooked right in.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Danster said:

Messiah - took a chance on this and so far enjoying it. Is he? Isn't he? modern day Messiah. Sumptuous production levels, and some cracking characters. Am hooked right in.

Is Ken Stott back?

• Upvote 2

Been binging Messiah. 7 episodes in after a day. Really surprised and enjoying it. As someone said above has really high production values.

Think it's the mystique that's drawing me in, it's compelling stuff. 

• Upvote 2

I completed it yesterday, it’s pretty good. Hopefully will get a second season.

It's an odd one. It's slow, not a whole lot happens, and Homeland except Carrie wants to crucify Jesus 2.0 is a weird concept. Yet somehow I dug it and eagerly await a second series with the Revelation he's actually Damian 2.0, because this would be a far better way to handle it than the usual moustache-twirling you get with the concept.

I started a thread! Thanks to the mod :)

Yeah this was quite a thoughtful approach to how a messiah or a man being called a messiah would be received by the powers that be. I also really liked the three main characters (and the Rev - confused as he was), although felt it didn't show enough normal Jewish people (day to day living was pretty clear for the Muslim and Christian communities)

End of season spoils:

Spoiler

There was the one little snippet where a car bomb goes off and kills a mum and her two boys  but otherwise we had the old lapsed Jewish alzheimer dad, the Mossad operative - with all the badness that comes there - his commanding officer, and the semi-Jewish CIA lady and Israeli ambassador who (I guess) pretty much made sure the plane went down.

Did he raise them from the dead at the end? Maybe/Maybe Not. If there is a second season then it's likely to continue along that opaque path I should think. Although, I really hope there is because I can't wait for his survival to be world news - that'll really throw the cat amongst the pigeons again.

I did like the way they kept exposing a little bit more from his past, how people were desperate to prove him to be a trickster.

The issue of faith was core to it all, faith in God, faith in him, faith in each other. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RYAN WHITELAW said:

End spoiler

Hide contents

So he is the anti-christ right? So many clues point to it and been reading a few clues online that seem to confirm it.

Spoiler

If he is, I doubt we'll be told. More likely another "Messiah" appears and we're left to ponder which one is telling the truth. 

My favourite bits were definitely when the interrogators got their assess handed to them though. Loved that he shook up the mossad guy so much that he chased him to the US to try and kill him and then couldn't. And i was just itching for his confrontation with the CIA woman and didn't feel disappointed except that I'd like it to have gone on for longer.

I'm hoping they keep it grounded as much as possible. So that we as viewers are never quite sure whether it's all a big con or not.

4 hours ago, RYAN WHITELAW said:

End spoiler

Hide contents

So he is the anti-christ right? So many clues point to it and been reading a few clues online that seem to confirm it.

Spoiler

That's the cool thing about how they've handled it so far - it really could go either way, there's been no appearance of pretence and behind the scenes monologues or ominous cackling. He's not done anything bad to anyone at any point, no sinister weirdos have popped up to guard him, he's not indulging in debauchery, he's just going about the business of making people question things and chilling out inbetween. From what I vaguely recall of all the biblical stuff though, the way he's going about things does fit with the what little was said about the anti-Christ. Less blatant villainy, more subtlety and charm, and believable as the real thing on first showing.

He could be the Christ, he could be the anti-Christ, he could just be a disruptive revolutionary, David Copperfield or fucking Mysterio on a wind-up for all anyone knows at this point. They just could easily go down the actual Second Coming route and everything goes pear shaped because man kills everything.

• Upvote 1

We just finished watching this last night. Brilliant series bar one or two hokey bits if I'm nit picking.

Spoiler

But gotta say we didn't for a minute consider he might be the anti-Christ. The choice seemed to be either he was the messiah or a fraud. And that seemed to be where they left it. Very clever though. My money is still on him being a fraud. Essentially he never really said or did anything other than the whole "walking on water" trick to suggest he could really perform miracles. And the kind of rhetoric he was speaking was simply a lot of modern mindfulness stuff lifted from Watts and Tolle etc. Notice how he never answered any questions straight, preferring instead to turn them on the person questioning. Plus, he stepped in and shot a dog. He's a faker!

Great show though.

• Upvote 1