IGNORED

Atelier Series

Flub

After finishing Ryza I will definitely go back to visit some of the older games. Since I do most of my gaming on Switch, which one would you recommend? I see Nelke and the legendary Alchemists and Atelier Lulua are often on sale. Are those any good?

2 hours ago, Sane said:

After finishing Ryza I will definitely go back to visit some of the older games. Since I do most of my gaming on Switch, which one would you recommend? I see Nelke and the legendary Alchemists and Atelier Lulua are often on sale. Are those any good?

Nelke is a divergence from the usual formula and is basically a town building sim game set in the Atelier world and using its characters.  I've not played it but seen some very mixed reviews. 

I'd definitely go with Lulua, which was an unexpected sequel to the earlier Arland trilogy.  It's a nice mix of nostalgia but with a modern interface.  It's quite light and fluffy but I'd rate it above (what I played of) Ryza.

I love the Atelier games but I haven’t played one in a while. I got into the PS2 ones but when they introduced the time limit I hated it and stopped playing them. Last one I got was PS3 I think when I read they’d removed the time limit.

I did want to give Ryza a go when it went on sale but is it no longer turn based? 

Does Lulua have a time limit? What’s the most recent, no time limit, turn based one?! 

6 hours ago, Laine said:

I love the Atelier games but I haven’t played one in a while. I got into the PS2 ones but when they introduced the time limit I hated it and stopped playing them. Last one I got was PS3 I think when I read they’d removed the time limit.

I did want to give Ryza a go when it went on sale but is it no longer turn based? 

Does Lulua have a time limit? What’s the most recent, no time limit, turn based one?! 

That's right Laine, Ryza no longer has turned based battles which per my earlier moan makes it a lot less of a chilled experienced.  Its been pretty successful though as a title and so I suspect they'll all be like that now in future which to me means a loss of something of the games essence, sadly i don't think they'll be for me anymore.

There's no time limit on Lulua, which makes it the most recent, no time limit, turn based one :P

However - it is worth noting the time limit has been generous to the point of meaningless since the Dusk series and I think it got dropped from Shallie and onwards.

Regarding Ryza's battle system: I would have preferred standard turn based as well. However, it's not too bad. It is turn based in a way but the main difference is that the action doesn't pause while you select what to do. You can control all the party members but it involves switching between them while the battle continues, so it can be difficult to manage everything. I'm still getting to grips with it, but it has plenty of depth and when it all comes together it's very satisfying. 

• 1 year later...

Suspect this might have been overlooked thanks to an interesting choice of release date but just to mention that Atelier Sophie 2: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Dream is out today, and features a return to turn based battles, which is interesting.

Anyway, as you were :P.